• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Jersey Devil

I'm going to say 'No', in response to the question posed at the following link.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ind...sey_devil_in_galloway_township_paranorma.html

Might be a dog with angel wings attached.

jersey devil 2.png

dog angel wings.jpg

Looks far too static, not sure any animal would jump while in a standing position.

Wow, I think one of the wicked witches is missing a flying monkey.

We never did hear back about that ship. I remember it was all the rage at the time. As for that photo, it's just a flying goat. Haven't y'all never seen a flying goat afore?

Interview with two Jersey Devil witnesses.
Thanks for posting. Curious how the color shifted from tan to almost black. Wings are apparently absent from the photo too. By most accounts the Jersey Devil is described to be large and powerful; not as described by these two. Also found it notable that the younger one believes deer wouldn't walk toward humans (in the most populated state per square mile). I think they're on the right track but somewhat confused, especially concerning the blurring of real life and legend/pop-culture.

Edit: I meant to also add, that there's nothing cooler than a father/son duo investigating a good old fashioned mystery! Love it.

Last edited:
This theory has been discussed on message boards across the web for decades. Main issues: the hammerhead doesn't bode well in cold weather, and it's far too small. The Jersey Devil has been reported to knock over trees and create deep hoof prints in snow.
In addition to all that, the size being what really makes it a non-starter, hammerhead bats are native only to mainland Africa. There was no chance it was in NJ/PA in the winter of 1909. Pretty clearly, the most famous depiction of the JD is entirely concocted. The legend is culturally-based and quite historically and socially complex. It never was based on a real animal (unless you count the unfortunate kangaroo), though I tend to think that encountering an owl in the pine barrens will freak people out because they are primed for monsters.

Let this one be a Devil’s biography (Book Review)​

https://sharonahill.com/2018/05/23/let-this-one-be-a-devils-biography-book-review/

Back