• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Jersey Devil

What'd u guys all think of the devil tracks on the roof? Thats the only known jersey devil photographs in existance and no-one even commented. Photos were taken after devil seen on roof.

Human_84 said:
What'd u guys all think of the devil tracks on the roof? Thats the only known jersey devil photographs in existance and no-one even commented. Photos were taken after devil seen on roof.

Probably a cat. The tracks don't look four feet apart from the picture.

GNC said:
Human_84 said:

Probably a cat. The tracks don't look four feet apart from the picture.

The cat would have to be running in excess of 30mph to create tracks with that kind of space. Also note the 'hoof-shape'. Couldn't of possibly been a cat. If it were a cat, then he had only 2 feet, hoof-print shoes, and a jetpack.

They don't look like hoof prints at all, they look like pawprints, one in front of the other like a cat. And they don't look four feet apart either. Maybe it was an ABC?

GNC said:
They don't look like hoof prints at all, they look like pawprints, one in front of the other like a cat. And they don't look four feet apart either. Maybe it was an ABC?

The front one may appear like a paw shape because thats where the creature reportedly slipped on the roof and some snow came off. You can see where the snow came off right below the bottom track. All the rest are normal hoofs as they would be. I'm not convinced it was the JD, just pretty sure.

the footprits are all from a right foot (the same right foot too from the looks of it) and it is a paw, not a hoof (much as I'd like them to be hoof prints because that would be truly strange). The toe to the right of the paw is there but not pushing as deaply into the snow as the one to the left or in the middle but there are definately at least 3 front toes on the paw.

don't know why all the prints are from the same foot, maybe the snow was quite tightly packed and the animal was pressing down harder on it's right hind paw, it could have been limping or lost it's left hindleg. If it was putting more weight on it's right hindleg it would also put more weight on the left had side of the paw that also explanes why the left and middle toes show up well in the print, it looks like it has snowed lightly sinse the prits were made too which may have covered up lighter prints.

Or it could have been a hoax, but had it been a hoax I'd have thought they'd have used more than one foot on a pole to do so.

If you see the very crest of the roof, thats where the family said it landed down and you can see a larger indentation there so that kinda fits.

Also, Lord_Flashheart what do you think about the prints being perfectly hoof shaped? Theres a portion of snow standing up in exactly the fashion a hoof print would be. I'm speaking of every print besides the closest.

Third pic down is a water cooler the family said the creature stood on, and there are scratches all over it that are easier to see in person they said.

hunt27pic4.jpg

hunt27pic3.jpg

hunt27pic2.jpg

hunt27pic5.jpg

That last photo settles it. Definitely paws, not hooves.

GNC said:
That last photo settles it. Definitely paws, not hooves.

Yep that settles it, but only if you can explain the size of the paws, and the distance between them. Thats a biped animal, otherwise you'd see twice the proximity of the footsteps. You have only 2 toes in all the prints, we have to throw out the bottom print because thats where the foot turned and almost slipped, making a very unreliable print. I propose that if it were the Jersey Devil, that it flapped its wings as it came down the roof, therfor somewhat floated down and didnt need too many footsteps. Even a biped would of had to be moving fast. An animal with 4 legs needs to be going about 30mph for that kinda distance in tracks. Even if it were moving 30mph, what kind of tigers does new jersey have which get on roofs, or tigers in general?

GNC I'm not shooting your ideas down, just adding my own is all.

This distance is probably around 15 feet (4.57 meters) or more! Windows are normally at least 2 feet (.61 meters) across and I used that to judge. My idea is, that we have 4 footsteps and 15 feet of distance. WHAT ANIMAL CAN DO THAT without moving at a very fast pace (something an animal wouldnt do on a small trailer roof).

hoofs.JPG

A big cat? What size of wild cats do they have in that part of the world? I can see three toes in those prints, incidentally.

Laurie's Sighting

On the night of 2/17, early morning hours of 2/18, there was a beautiful snowstorm. We are night owls, and around 11pm my 3 kids and I went out to play in the snow and take pictures with our digital camera. That went well, though we experienced the usual "dread" feeling that can come over us now and again in these woods. At 2:30am, I noticed I had left some lights on in the backyard by my rabbit barn. My son and I went out to unplug the lights and enjoy the snow one last time.

I was trying to unplug these lights when my son (who was standing in front of me) started pointing up in a tree and making struggling terrified sounds, but not speaking. I turned to look behind me and saw huge piles of snow falling from a shaking tree top. We were terrified and both started running for our back door. Halfway across, I stopped dead in my tracks, as I realized that now this "thing" was in front of me on my roof top. It had cleared approximately 85 feet from tree to roof in a matter of seconds! I was then horrified to hear this thing scuttling down the roof at me. We all reached the door at the same time - this thing reached the edge of the roof, and a mini avalanche of snow fell on our heads as it slid to a stop. We flew in the door and were freaked out.

I mentioned the incident to my semi-sleeping husband, who dismissed it as a "wive's tale" of bumps in the night. The next morning, however, we were all shocked to see the prints - cloven hoof prints - clearly two legged - perfectly preserved in the snow on our roof, documenting my story exactly. The tracks coming down the roof were approximately 3.5 feet apart. One could clearly see where it stopped at the edge of the roof, and then there were awful tracks spaced four feet apart going along the length of the entire gutter and disappearing off the side of the roof. No tracks on the ground anywhere. My husband got out our digital camera and carefully documented all these tracks.

Police were called out and could not identify the tracks, but guessed it had to be the size of a bear and wondered if I keep guns for protection. Local and statewide fish and wildlife folks cannot identify them, or insist that they are cougar tracks, which they clearly are not!

The creature looked to be about 4 to 6 feet tall. The head is awful - it has two large eyes, an animal head or snout, a large bulbous forehead with what appears to be horns in the front. I am now totally freaked out about living here.

jdtailblack.gif

Source: http://www.njdevilhunters.com/pers2004a.html

Not trying to spam, just posting information......

According to the familys story, here was the creatures path along the roof.

hoofs2.JPG

Lord_Flashheart said:
Or it could have been a hoax, but had it been a hoax I'd have thought they'd have used more than one foot on a pole to do so.
But if they happened to have a foot lying around...

Hate to sound cynical, but I can't get past the idea of a couple of guys getting drunk with a stuffed leopard foot (or similar).

And what? Levitating up to and across the roof to make those tracks?

Well, dont forget that it was a family with 2 small children. The kid who first saw the creature was shaken up about it. Could be some dimented parents trying to scare the living crap out of their kids by hoaxing a flying, horned beast. But who has that kinda time? :)

Minor Drag said:

The house is only one story high so the tracks could have been made by a local wag on a stepladder with a dogs foot attached to a broom handle with duc tape playing a prank.

That is not however the most plausible explanation of the lot, I notice that another possible exlanation I gave, that it was an animal with a limp making the track, was ignored.

The scratches on the water cooler look like the sort that would be made by a dog with large claws scrabbleing to get perchace on it as it jumped from it.

looking at the track photo i got this:
devilprints7wo.jpg

Human_84 said:
The kid who first saw the creature was shaken up about it. Could be some dimented parents trying to scare the living crap out of their kids by hoaxing a flying, horned beast.

i dont think that parents would do something like that to there kids. it would scare them too much. it could be a big cat, and that would explain the scratchs. what kind of big cats do you get in the area, anyway.

^^ yeah. If we follow the familys storey, then it couldn't have been a large cat, it was definetly a flying creature with huge footprints. They said it cleared the 85 foot space in mere seconds (a space between the treetops and the roof). I DO admit, that the family COULD have been liers, and even fooled their kids into beleiving that something huge with horns and "terrible eyes" flew across.

What do you all think about the possibility that the family hoaxed it and tricked their kids, just for some attention? I doubt it but its possible.

yeah it could happen, but it's a lot of trouble of making the prints on the roof and the scratch marks. But yeah, there is always the possibility that it is a hoax with anything.

Human_84 said:
What do you all think about the possibility that the family hoaxed it and tricked their kids, just for some attention? I doubt it but its possible.

The parents may not have neaded to trick thir kids if it were a hoax (it could have been a misidentifaction, an overactive imagination coupled with shadows, zooform phenomina a genuine crypid or an outright lie, there are many possible explanations) then the kids could well be in on it. You can have 2 different kinds of hoax, one perpetrated by a lone hoaxer (Some bloke saying "I've seen a ghost" when they haven't for example) or a kind of team effort hoax where a few people who are in on the hoax and can colaborate the story (the Cottingley fairy photographs for example).

Lord_Flashheart said:
Minor Drag said:

The house is only one story high so the tracks could have been made by a local wag on a stepladder with a dogs foot attached to a broom handle with duc tape playing a prank.

That is not however the most plausible explanation of the lot, I notice that another possible exlanation I gave, that it was an animal with a limp making the track, was ignored.

The scratches on the water cooler look like the sort that would be made by a dog with large claws scrabbleing to get perchace on it as it jumped from it.

looking at the track photo i got this:
devilprints7wo.jpg

Its in my opinion, that the right "toe" you pointed out isnt actually there. The "toe" you pointed out looks exactly like the rest of the snow on the roof. Now, look at some higher tracks. Theres an obvious 2 toed hoof in each one of those. Theres an absence of anything that could be considered a third toe. Even if it were 3 toes in your track, cats dont have feet like that. Look at some big cat prints....

cougar - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - bobcat - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - tiger
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbvi ... e_snow.jpg

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/FP03.JPG

http://www.wildtrack.org/media/Sundarbans-Tiger.gif

This is my favorite cryptid, so its worth posting that I dreamed about the thing last night, scary as hell. I've read so many stories about it that I beleive what I visualised in my dream is very close to the real thing. It was terrible, I awoke thinking it was so horrible that I shall never venture to find it even tho I had loose plans of visiting the area in the near future. In the light of the day I'm still interested. Not sure how, because it was an awful figure;seemingly real because it was a vivid dream, with horrible giant eyes and horns, a man-beast running at a quick rate of speed thru the pine trees, teathered wings flapping and the hoofs clomping about. Gives me the chills.

This is my favorite cryptid, so its worth posting that I dreamed about the thing last night, scary as hell. I've read so many stories about it that I beleive what I visualised in my dream is very close to the real thing. It was terrible, I awoke thinking it was so horrible that I shall never venture to find it even tho I had loose plans of visiting the area in the near future. In the light of the day I'm still interested. Not sure how, because it was an awful figure;seemingly real because it was a vivid dream, with horrible giant eyes and horns, a man-beast running at a quick rate of speed thru the pine trees, teathered wings flapping and the hoofs clomping about. Gives me the chills.

Gives me the chills just reading about it...I'll prob dream about it tonight :shock:

JD is also one of my favourite cryptids...along with good old El Chupacabras...!!

I was born and raised in tabernacle nj, smack in the middle of the pine barrens, camped every summer in chatsworth ( also in the pines) and spent a fair amount of time with various boyfriends in deerstands. Other then a few scary pineys ( local name for redknecks) and a few jersey jack stills, never saw anything to indicate the exsistence of the jersey devil. I am an avid fan of cryptozoology, but unfortunaly, i dont think this one is a reality. I lean towards the whole real estate scam theory. but, if i am wrong, i'll gladly eat my hat.

Shortly before the legend of Mother leeds began to circulate, the pine barrens became a very hot realestate property . THe multiple underground streams with fresh water, the climate and the proximatey to the beach made it prime for commercialization. Fast forward to the present, because of the flora and fawna not found anywhere else but the pinebarrens of nj,it is protected from development. But, in the late 1800's early 1900's everyone wanted a piece of the land. Familes that had resided there for years were fearful of the encroachment on their farm land. Many court battles were fought. Then, the mother leeds story broke, a legend was born and superstitious surverors no longer wished to be out in the pines, which by the way is very dark and lonely, with lots of weird sounds to those that dont live there. Real estate dried up, no one was intereseted in building anymore and the rest is history. THere is a fantastic book called legends in the pines, that relays a good bit of the history with lots of historical documents to back it up. Well worth the read if you enjoy folktales, legends and a hint of cryptozoology.

Well, I was in new jersey a couple months back, but didn't see any devil. I suppose he wouldn't come into the airport anyways.

Back