• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Jersey Devil

As you can see by reading pages back on this thread, I'm quite "into" the jersey devil and it is my favorite cryptid. What I find frustrating is that there is hardly a place on the net containing any information beyond the basic jersey devil story. jerseydevilhunters.com hasn't updated in 9 months now. If anyone can give me any leads on where to go for more information please do so, I welcome it.

To me, the JD is quite real. There have been enough storys and physical evidence to make it real for me. The tale of the JD doesn't come from some drunk mountain man and his cousin; plenty of people have seen this beast (most descriptions match quite closely) and its tracks have been photographed, and some very strange things around its 'homeland' have been found. Over n' out....

Try expanded the possibility of its existance outwards so it incorporates other stories legends around the world.

If JD is an actual creature then its possible there may be more around the globe, but have taken different forms in the local legends.

For example, JD has similarities with El Chupacabras. Could these two separate entities be, in fact, the same species of cryptid??

Fairly possible I think. And its worth mentioning for any foreigners that the mothmans stomping grounds are no more than a few hundred miles from the jersey devil's pine barrens. Both creatures are quite similar but with obvious differences.

In conjunction with the chupacabra, maybe the american west's thunderbird or pterodactyl could be related as well. All four are elusive winged beasts approximately the same size.

Never saw this report until today:

Its head resembled that of a ram, with curled horns, and its long thin neck was thrust forward in flight. It had long thin wings and short legs, the front legs shorter than the hind. Again, it uttered its mournful and awful call—a combination of a squawk and a whistle, the beginning very high and piercing and ending very low and hoarse…

Lou Gentile used to have 2 supposed photographs of the JD in the photographs area of his paranormal website, but the archives were wiped clean when he revamped his site 2 years ago. Everytime I speak with him, he doesn't recall the photographs having existed. Creepy to think that this is somewhat akin to the thunderbird photo. *EDIT* I just searched thru almost 3,000 photographs and didn't see it. *EDIT*

On another note, the number 1 jersey devil website "www.NJdevilhunters.COM" has not been updated in a year and a half. I must be the only one still interested in this criptid, he's my favorite!

This story seems either highly stretched from the truth, or otherwise written by someone quite young and IS totally true. Take it for what its worth, I saw this report on cryptozoology.com forums. For some reason, I think alot about the jersey devil, every day. I dont understand why I do this.

March 28th, 2006:
This incident happened about six months ago. I live in Eastern, KY. A friend of mine named Toney was staying at the house with me to sneak out of trouble. We was upstairs cleaning up. Toney and me heard footsteps on the roof of my house. (The house has a tin roof on it so you can hear things very easily on it). We walked over to the window and seen a Jersey Devil stick its head down on the window. The Devil was upside down looking at us. It had just ate and still had fresh blood on its mouth. I was too scared to move and Toney pulled me to the stairs and I ended up falling down the stairs onto him. We walked very slowly to the kitchen door to see if it still was outside. I turned the back porchlight on and the Devil started running on the roof. Toney slammed the door on my hand as I was about to turn the light off. He closed the door and locked it. I put some ice on my hand and we told mom what happened. She went to check and did not find anything. My sister stopped by the house and me and Toney told her what happened. We all ran outside to get away from the house and got into the car. We rode to Wal-Mart and came back. The Devil was gone. A week later, another friend of mine named Donovan said that the Devil chased him down the road after killing his cousin's dog. He made it inside his grandma's house okay.

I could be completely wrong, and the chances of that happening are quite high, but reading over all of this, taking the first story into account of the mother and child. She claims it flew that distance that quickly, could there have actually been two? It’s not uncommon for animals to hunt in packs, and from reports and eye witness accounts this animal seems to be just that, a predator.

I really wish I could remember, we have a dream time story and from the bits and scraps I can recall it sounds like it’s along the same lines.

evil_kitty said:
I could be completely wrong, and the chances of that happening are quite high, but reading over all of this, taking the first story into account of the mother and child. She claims it flew that distance that quickly, could there have actually been two? It’s not uncommon for animals to hunt in packs, and from reports and eye witness accounts this animal seems to be just that, a predator.

I really wish I could remember, we have a dream time story and from the bits and scraps I can recall it sounds like it’s along the same lines.

Possible. But if there is more than onme then it isnt a single anomaly, but a recurring anomaly/ situation/ creature/ etc, which could make it harder to identify.

But, on the other hand, could also make it easier, depending on what it is exactly ;)

If its an actual species, then are there any more of them, and have they/ not been seen more often, and why? Or is it a single small group of a unique species that exist independently of the rest of the world, interacting every so often with us?

Good idea tho, I like it :yeay:

@ Semyaz

I mean, logically we as humans know nothing really about that around us. I mean, Look at the recent discoveries of Trees, Monkeys, and Lemurs, these are Large (for want of a better owrd) Living Beings, and yet we are only confirming their existance now, after being on this earth for 1000's of years. We know even less aboutt he seas (but thats another topic all together :? ) When the mother and child ran from the first sighting, their eyes instintivly would be facing their goal of the house/door, not stumbling backwards watching the 'Thing'. so to claimt hat it flew that distance is a strange claim, considering they only saw one land and stumble/run down towards them and not its actul flight path.

but my logic tends to be twisted so really, i could be looking up the wrong tree (roof top :p) so to speak.

I may be starting up a website soon, devoted entirely to the Jersey Devil. I just wanted to tell everyone that. I've seen too many JD sites that are unprofessional, rarely updated, and too much scattered, varied information. The goal will be to create a clean looking site, 'the' Devil HQ. It will journal every single sighting in history, every single devil related photo, a full rundown on the pine barrens, videos, all theories, etc, etc.

Sounds like it'll be very interesting, human84! But please, no Geocities tackiness... ;)

Looking forward to seeing it Human.
Please make sure you use the burning torch of truth .gif
TORCH6.GIF
;)

The thing that always strikes me about Fortean sites is that very often, there is only so much that can be said. So don't worry about the regular updates - obviously, when there is something to be said you should post it.

The JD story is a good one, and it always reminds me in some respects of the Point Pleasant phenomena. Shame it's (apparently) not more active in recent times.

FYI to everyone, I AM officially creating a new jersey devil site right now. This will DEFINETELY be the largest JD site on the net. The site is coming along well, but its massive to say the least. The Flash intro is basically complete, and I may be posting a link to that shortly.

The intro is almost complete, just a few issues with the sound near the end that will be fixed soon enough. If you want to view, you'll need to save it because its not ready for streaming as of yet. You'll need audio or don't bother. And the "enter" button is not set, because site is not up yet.

RIGHT CLICK AND "SAVE AS"..

**EDIT, changing a few things**

NEW - JERSEY DEVIL SITE LAUNCH [ 10-20-2006 ]

I've chosen a select 5 discussion groups to post this single announcement that the new, New Jersey Devil site is now complete. Some of you may have known about it previous to this notice as there has been a bit of talk going around. Among other things you will find the following (with more coming soon):

-All Jersey Devil related pictures, audio and video in existence
-A full rundown on the Pine Barrens with sighting “hot-spots”
-Hundreds of interesting Pine Barrens photos
-25+ conceptual theories and mix-ups
-Complete attribute listing
-Forums and guestbook
-All known oddities

I urge you to view the site intro with the volume up, and I personally welcome you to Land of the Devil!

www.LandoftheDevil.com

Re: NEW - JERSEY DEVIL SITE LAUNCH [ 10-20-2006 ]

Human_84 said:
I've chosen a select 5 discussion groups to post this single announcement that the new, New Jersey Devil site is now complete.

I urge you to view the site intro with the volume up, and I personally welcome you to Land of the Devil!

www.LandoftheDevil.com

Good - now go and get those cones for your ship - I want to see some photos!

Also, will you be taking a Jersey Devil on your ship when you depart from this plane?

Cheers

Great. Good. Fine. Now please H_84, Back to the Ship! Back to the Ship! Back to the Ship!

My Cat is Scanning the Skies!

What exactly is the meaning of the phase:
Synonymous with the daunting postulation of many locals...

Overall - Not bad, but it could do with a spot of proof-reading.

I don't think "face like a horse" is very scary. Horses have faces like horses, after all.

graylien said:
What exactly is the meaning of the phase:
Synonymous with the daunting postulation of many locals...

Overall - Not bad, but it could do with a spot of proof-reading.

It means, to speak of a concept almost exactly alike what many locals might accept but dread....

The ship, yes. More info rather shortly....

lordmongrove said:
Looks like a hairless strain of the Gambian pouched rat to me.
The creature's head looks too large for that. The rat's head looks relatively small in comparison.

Back