• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Joe Simonton / Alien Pancakes Case (Wisconsin; 1961)

A further revelation from the Saucerian Bulletin: a second person (referred to rather vaguely by Carter as "another individual") also tasted the pancakes, saying that they "tasted like corn".

I'm pleased to see that Carter was a fan of The Book of the Damned.

If you were looking for evidence of what, in this case, you'd have to call the 'Airstream hypothesis', "Come to rest" is very neutral compared to "landed" or "dropped onto".

ln one of the videos, Simonton is seen in his front garden, recounting his tale. l’m sure that he describes seeing the anomaly coming down to land vertically; “like an elevator” is the phrase he uses.

That method of arrival doesn’t support the Airstream hypothesis.

maximus otter

This is from a web site article and unfortunately no attribution for the quote, however I did note... :)

On April 18 1961, Simonton (a Wisconsin chicken farmer and part-time Santa Claus) was preparing breakfast when he heard what sounded like “knobby tires on wet pavement”. He went outside to investigate and found a flying saucer landing in his backyard".

This is from a web site article and unfortunately no attribution for the quote, however I did note... :)
On April 18 1961, Simonton (a Wisconsin chicken farmer and part-time Santa Claus) was preparing breakfast when he heard what sounded like “knobby tires on wet pavement”. He went outside to investigate and found a flying saucer landing in his backyard".

Simonton originally described the noise that alerted him to an arrival as being similar to either screeching / squealing tires or a rumbling similar to knobby tires, both on pavement. It wouldn't be until later that he began describing the initial sound as being akin to that of a jet.

If you're focusing on whether or not he was outside when the object arrived ... His earliest accounts had him inside his kitchen, so that his only view of the arrival would be what was afforded by the high-mounted kitchen windows (see the photo of his house I posted earlier in this thread). In some accounts he's cited as having claimed he was seated at his kitchen table, which would have further occluded his line(s) of sight.

As time went on he claimed (or was cited as claiming ... ) that he'd moved outside by the time the object actually arrived in his driveway.

Both these shifts in description probably contributed to the USAF investigators eventually characterizing Simonton's testimony as "inconsistent."

Case might be solved? :D

I'd say "No" ...

Based on the evidence (such as it is), and even allowing for some measure of "drift" in the shifting details of the incident, I tend to think something really happened that Simonton remembered as an odd encounter with odd visitors. However, all the attempts at external investigation fizzled out and left the case to grow cold.

There's also the fact Hynek and his associates had the impression certain of their contacts during their trip were resisting their inquiries on the basis of a local bias (probably induced by Judge Carter) against anything to do with the Air Force (which some locals seemed to believe Hynek's team represented).

Abandonment of the investigations seems odd in light of the corroboration (vague though it is) provided by Borgo, who claimed to have seen some sort of airborne object rise and fly off at roughly the same time and in the vicinity of Simonton's home.

There's a conflict between Simonton's and Borgo's description of the object's flight path away from the encounter site. Simonton originally said the object headed south. Borgo said the object flew westward, generally paralleling Route 70. These two descriptions aren't necessarily contradictory, insofar as Route 70 doesn't run strictly east / west out west of Eagle River.

There are other aspects of Simonton's story (in its most general form) that are weird but specific, such as:

- The auditory and flight characteristics of the object - plus the occupants' "safety belts" (Simonton's own description) - are notably consistent with a helicopter.

- Simonton's shifting versions of the story yield different impressions of where he was and what he could see when the object arrived. They're even more ambiguous concerning his location and experience when the object rose and flew off.

- There's a sort of disjointed quality to Simonton's description of the encounter, in the sense some transitions are blurred or skipped. For example, I have yet to see any version that describes what the "spokesman" specifically did with the water-filled vessel when Simonton passed it back to him.

- The Hynek team's photos show a bottled gas (presumably propane) cylinder attached to the house below the kitchen windows. Simonton was preparing or eating a late breakfast or lunch at the time the encounter happened. Nobody seems to have probed on the possibility Simonton was under the influence of a gas leak or gas seepage from a stove not fully shut off.

- Simonton's description of the empty vessel he was given (and filled with water) aren't consistent. Some earlier versions describe it obliquely as having an odd shape and resembling a soup tureen. Later versions describe it as a sort of Thermos bottle or jug.

- There's plenty of reason to suspect Simonton was psychologically stressed (e.g., isolation; separation from his wife), and multiple investigators (e.g., Hynek) alluded to wondering about Simonton's psychological state. However, no one seems to have ever followed up on this aspect of the incident's context.

As a result of these and other factors I'd have to say the case was left a long way from being closed. Hynek / CUFOS didn't see it as the sort of case they wished to explore, NICAP fumbled their attempts to analyze the pancake material, and the USAF analysis didn't indicate anything unusual. It seems to me all the external investigators basically gave up or walked away without expending much effort (other than Hynek's team's visit).

plus the occupants' "safety belts" (Simonton's own description) - are notably consistent with a helicopter

This is what I was looking for - brilliant. I knew there was something I was reminded of - it was a paratrooper's static line, but a helicopter crew harness is an even better fit.

Courtesy of the 'Minnesota MUFON Newsletter', January/February 1998'

Joe and I Ate UFO Pancakes

Amongst anomalies, we no longer seem to have an object 6-8ft in diameter and 12ft tall, with an exhaust pipe.

We also appear to have 'saucer-fried chicken'? :eek:

www.forteanmedia.com/Minnesota_MUFON.pdf

I just picked up on the 'pancakes tasting like cardboard.'

Whenever I eat in dreams, which isn't often admittedly, the food tastes of nothing, or just a sort of stale, inside-a-cupboard taste. Wonder if it's related?

An Airstream trailer wouldn't bend trees over, but a helicopter might!

Exactly ... Simonton consistently mentioned in his earliest accounts that the object caused a notable amount of air turbulence (for example, a powerful downdraft) when it rose to fly away.

I just picked up on the 'pancakes tasting like cardboard.'
Whenever I eat in dreams, which isn't often admittedly, the food tastes of nothing, or just a sort of stale, inside-a-cupboard taste. Wonder if it's related?

Before I'd read the Minneapolis reporter's story in the Minnesota MUFON article (see Comfortably Numb's post above) I was wondering whether the alleged cardboard taste might be symptomatic of a dream state.

However, the Minnesota reporter tasted a piece of the pancake several days after the incident and said it indeed tasted like cardboard.

Before I'd read the Minneapolis reporter's story in the Minnesota MUFON article (see Comfortably Numb's post above) I was wondering whether the alleged cardboard taste might be symptomatic of a dream state.

However, the Minnesota reporter tasted a piece of the pancake several days after the incident and said it indeed tasted like cardboard.
Now we need someone to do an experiment and make ordinary pancakes and then taste them several days later! I suspect they won't taste particularly nice, if not 'cardboardy'.

Courtesy of the 'Minnesota MUFON Newsletter', January/February 1998'
Joe and I Ate UFO Pancakes
www.forteanmedia.com/Minnesota_MUFON.pdf

Miscellaneous comments about the Minnesota MUFON article:

- This article is included within the NICAP documentation file accessible via CUFOS.

- All other references I'd seen to the insurance salesman / scoutmaster who corroborated a UFO sighting on the day of the incident called him "Savino Borgo." This MUFON article is the only place I've seen him cited as "Maynard Borgo."

- The Lorbetske (aka Lorbetsky; Lorbetski) family sighting was not associated with Simonton's encounter. It occurred on 27 April (9 days later).

- Some UFO / paranormal sites citing the Lorbetske sighting claim the Lorbetske family residence was "near" Simonton's home. This is not true. The anonymous 2-page interview with the Lorbetske family (within the NICAP case documentation file) states the Lorbetske home is 12 miles east of Eagle River. Simonton's home is circa 4 miles west of Eagle River.

There is some further background within the following document.

I am not sure where this originates, however, it also features some terrific material relating to other cases:

www.forteanmedia.com/UFO-Cizimleri.pdf

Not quite sure what to make of the Simonton incident now, so simply highlighted.

Uploaded, for further case material:

Saucerian Bulletin
31 December, 1961
Noted therein...:)

Judge Avers Story True

Much has been written about the Eagle River, Wisc. "pancake" sighting. Here is an exclusive first hand report from County Judge Franklin Carter, written specially for THE BULLETIN.

"I, Franklin Carter, of Eagle River, Wisconsin, have been a UFO student even prior to the famous sighting of Kenneth Arnold on the West Coast. Having read Charles Fort's BOOK OF THE DAMNED years before 1947...".

It would be helpful if we could pinpoint where Simonton's farm / residence was located. He lived approximately 4 miles outside Eagle River, but I haven't found any record indicating in which direction (relative to town) his home was situated.
According to the 'Saucerian Bulletin' article, it was 4 miles west of Eagle River.

Maybe some further insight here?

"Investigator Bill McNeff describes his meeting with witness Joe Simonton of Eagle River, WI in 1961, after flying saucer occupants gave Joe pancakes...".

There is other, unrelated, material in this lengthy broadcast, however, the Bill NcNeff interview thankfully comes up first.

https://archive.org/details/UFOUpdate8

From the following article:

"....had always been under the impression that Mr. Simonton lived alone, but Richard proved to me that he had a wife named Mary Adamski [how’s that for a last name?] who was working as a nurse in Chicago at the time of his alleged encounter. Richard had learned this from Jean Deditz, who had worked for years at the Vilas County News-Review as copy editor and lead typesetter, admitting that the Simonton incident was one of her favorite stories. In fact, she and her husband purchased the home from Mary in 1989".

https://www.apmagazine.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1700&Itemid=256

A resultant search indicates what might be the exact location?

An additional search, states the property has 10 acres of land.

Naturally, not sure about this!

Compress_20220310_012356_6774.jpg

From the following article:

"....had always been under the impression that Mr. Simonton lived alone, but Richard proved to me that he had a wife named Mary Adamski [how’s that for a last name?] who was working as a nurse in Chicago at the time of his alleged encounter. Richard had learned this from Jean Deditz, who had worked for years at the Vilas County News-Review as copy editor and lead typesetter, admitting that the Simonton incident was one of her favorite stories. In fact, she and her husband purchased the home from Mary in 1989".

https://www.apmagazine.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1700&Itemid=256

A resultant search indicates what might be the exact location?

An additional search, states the property has 10 acres of land.

Naturally, not sure about this!

View attachment 52888

Proceeding on the assumption that this is kosher, Google Earth - impressively - shows us the exact locus:

Simonton-WI-UFO-Fortean.jpg

The body of water right of centre is Perch Lake; the road on which the independent witness Borgo was travelling is State Road 70 running E to W at bottom of picture

Here is 5746 Perch Lake Road:

5746-Perch-Lake-Road-Fortean.jpg

Borgo states that he was on State Road 70, about one mile from the locus:

Simonton-UFO-1-mile-radius.jpg

A circle of radius one mile from the locus

As near as dammit to directly south of the locus on 70, near where the radius line in the pic above crosses 70, here is the view directly north from Borgo's (very approximate) viewpoint towards the locus:

Borgo-view-Simonton-UFO-Fortean.jpg

A study of Google Earth suggests that - today at least - there would have been no clear view from 70 to the north that would not have had trees obstructing the view, at least not anywhere close to Borgo's stated "one mile" from the sighting.

Copy and paste the following into Google Earth to drop onto the locus of the sighting:

45° 55' 00.43" N, 89° 19' 33.88" W

maximus otter

Proceeding on the assumption that this is kosher, Google Earth - impressively - shows us the exact locus:
Awesome!

Looks promising... now that there is a possible location, I have further unearthed this;

A CLOSE ENCOUNTER IN EAGLE RIVER

"Elmwood may have had multiple UFO sightings, but none of them compare to a widely reported encounter in Eagle River on April 18, 1961. Local chicken farmer Joe Simonton discovered a chrome-plated saucer near his farmhouse west of town on Perch Lake Road...".

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...=onepage&q="perch lake road" simonton&f=false

I have come across some potentially significant case material, which I can't recall being highlighted before.

Two related articles:

Flying Saucer Review
July/August 1961
Vol. 7, No. 4

The Eagle River Incident
A NEW CONTACT CLAIM

www.jceaston.com/FSR_1961_V07_N4.pdf

Flying Saucer Review
May/June 1962
Vol. 8, No. 3

THE EAGLE RIVER INCIDENT
A Letter from Joe Simonton

www.jceaston.com/FSR_1962_V08_N3.pdf

These were only bookmarked at the time and I have not read either, so far.

Shall now accordingly catch up with all of this. :)

Last edited:
Fascinating to read those copies of old FSR. From the "Flying Saucer Review", May/June 1962, Vol. 8, No. 3:

"To sum up, on the present showing Venus seems to be an "abode for life" at least as comfortable as the Earth"

Indeed:

"Venus has a thick, toxic atmosphere filled with carbon dioxide and it’s perpetually shrouded in thick, yellowish clouds of sulfuric acid that trap heat, causing a runaway greenhouse effect. It’s the hottest planet in our solar system, even though Mercury is closer to the Sun. Surface temperatures on Venus are about 900 degrees Fahrenheit (475 degrees Celsius) – hot enough to melt lead. The surface is a rusty color and it’s peppered with intensely crunched mountains and thousands of large volcanoes. Scientists think it’s possible some volcanoes are still active. Venus has crushing air pressure at its surface – more than 90 times that of Earth – similar to the pressure you'd encounter a mile below the ocean on Earth"

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/venus/overview/

I am not mocking the author, it is simply a representation of what was known then and now, and how faith in UFOs as visiting aliens was a lot easier when it was believed they only had to travel mere hundreds of thousands of miles across space to visit us Earthlings and not, as we know now, multiple light years

The account given in 'Flying Saucer Review', May/June 1962, Vol. 8, No. 3 is balanced and proportionate and makes some valid points; there was no speech about us destroying our planet, so no 'philosophy' involved, and also that he did not seek either profit or fame.

Last edited:
Fascinating to read those copies of old FSR. From the "Flying Saucer Review"...
Absolutely so, when looking for s particular article, I usually end up being distracted by features like this.

I have deleted the 'SAUCERIAN' magazine link - that has actually been highlighted previously.

Back