• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Jordan Lead Codices

Lead in particularly would be easy to expose as a fake as if they're real and modern lead had been used, the radiation from the lead wold be too high - lead from the claimed era would essentially be low-background lead. Probably true of the copper as well for all I know.
Depends on how skilled the forger is. Getting pretty nuclear lead is possible, even for someone like me.
Though I doubt the forger would care that much. Some items just get accepted by certain parts of the populace

The isotopic composition of the lead could also tell you where the lead was mined. That could give some clues to authenticity.

Update on the Lead Codices ...

A number of scholars and a November 2012 regional BBC Newsinvestigation have pronounced them fakes. In December 2016, a radioactivity test performed at the University of Surrey's Ion Beam Centre confirmed the old age of the lead used, but not the inscriptions. As of 2017, both the Israeli antiquities authority and the Jordanian archaeological department regard them as forgeries. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Lead_Codices

Back