• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Kaaba & Other Magic Stones

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
I head tell it was a metrorite.

Has this been proved?

This thread is about other meteorites that changed history...Im trying to think of a few.

There is a monastery in Tibet that was sited where a stone from heaven fell, I think.

In pre columbian America, the only iron was from meteorites.

The Thule People (the ancestor of the Inuit, but better organised, who lived in villages of several thousand in order to hunt bowhead whales) traveled across the arctic in search of such a stone.

What about the meteoric stone associated with Great Diana of the Ephesians?

It was Diana with the multiple breasts, wasn't it?

There was an "Ancient Astronaut" theory nearly 30 years ago that those extra breasts were the result of the (living, mortal) Diana's exposure to the meteorite which was afterwards kept in her temple. That meteorite, according to theory, was radioactive, or at least had been in sufficiently ancient times.

A number of the legendary "magic" swords of European history are thought to have been made from meteorite iron. This superior material gave them certain "magical" properities - like not rusting, being more flexible, taking a keener edge, sometimes being magnetic and best yet. harder and capable of cutting thru softer iron weapons and armour.

I think it does rust, meteoric iron would possibly be purer and have some kudos and if the right amounts of carbon were added and the tempering done at just the right time they would hold an edge, as well as any high carbon steel blade but like them impurities would get in and iron does oxidise especially in the form of high carbon steel.

Kondoru said:
This thread is about other meteorites that changed history...Im trying to think of a few.

The 'Black rock' of Pessinos was taken from Phrygia and set in a new temple in Rome, which started the Roman take on an existing cult of Cybele, called the Magna Mater cult. I think most people reckon that was a meteorite.

A quite probable meteor also sat in the Temple of Apollo in Delphi, meant to be the stone that Cronos swallowed, when he thought it was his final son, zeus and then regurgitated at some later point.

A Roman Emperor - admittedly late on in their history, when they were pretty rubbish - even brought a sacred stone with him from its original place of veneration (in Emesa) to Rome on ascending the throne. Elagabalus was his name. he didn't last long...

I don't know much about the kaaba stone, but got the impression that some well-informed people now think that it's not a meteor at all, but some of the impact glass from a meteor strike. Certainly the much more recent Wabar crater shows this kind of formation occuring from meteor / impactite strikes in areas such as the middle east.

Funnily enough I'm currently reading a book about the Tunguska fireball and goes into a little detail concerning meteorites that have been found etc., including the Kaaba.

_TMS_ said:
Elagabalus was his name. he didn't last long...

No, but he managed to cram a remarkable amount of weirdness into a short period.

Medicine stones are sacred.

Sacred pipe and sacred Marijuana what a pairing.

Back