• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Land Before Sleep

A

Anonymous

I've always been fascinated with sleep and dreaming. I've had good 'control' over my dreams for as long as I can remember: I lucid dream frequently, and have amazing experiences when I do. But recently things have got even stranger. I can now get to a state where I haven't fallen asleep yet, but I feel as though I am in a completely different place, and I'm walking around exploring. I've only had this happen a couple of times and I don't know exactly how I get there. The first time I was in this dark tunnel, just walking along. It was quite a struggle to keep going, as though I had to try really hard to keep in the state I was in *and* control what I was doing simultaneously.

The most overwhelming experience happened last night. I closed my eyes to go to sleep but was only mildly tired. I felt as though I was spinning slowly, but it wasn't making me feel ill or anything. I then got to the stage where I didn't know what direction I was facing, and the spinning stopped. I was now standing up (in my head), and I was in a dark room which looked really familiar. There was a box on the far side of the room so I started to walk towards it. This time it was easy to walk, but as I got nearer the box I started to feel really scared-as though I wasn't meant to be there or there was something in the box that I should keep away from. I started to panic and tried to go 'back' but for a while I couldn't. Eventually, the spinning started again and I found my bearings, was back in my bed (and body!) and opened my eyes. Once I'd relaxed, I tried to go back to the place and state of mind but I couldn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I often find it possible when lying down on my bed to still see my room even though my eyes are shut and I'm not yet asleep and therefore dreaming.
The ideal occasion for this sort of carry on is when taking an afternoon nap. I simply lie on my back and make myself think of absolutely and after five or ten minutes it just kicks in.
It's very strange as I can look around my room and see detail. The vision is tunnelled slightly and only lasts for a few seconds at a time before coming back a few seconds later. It is not dreaming as I can more or less call this up at will and it feels as if the vision is being received through the eyes rather than the different sensation of dreaming which feels as if coming from within. And yes, my eyes are definitely shut.
If I should look too hard at something or glance about too quickly, I will often lose vision and have to start all over again. I think in this sense it may be some strange effect of meditation and being distracted from that state.
I did try going further afield recently but got a very nasty shuddering sensation. I shall stick to my room for now.
It's very odd but I swear it works.

Take care y'all!

Nick. :D

Take care indeed. Maybe some people who die in their sleep are exploring outside of their body but never get back! This almost happened to a FOMM (friend of my mother!) who found himself visiting a place so beautiful and tranquil that it took all of his willpower to make himself return to his body. He vowed never to attempt the trip again in case he lost the battle next time.

In all my time mucking about with such things one of the things I've learned is:

If your head comes away from your neck, it's all over.

Physically, I mean. Up until that point, however, you'll probably be okay.

Sam

Hay Sam,

Like the artwork in your gallery.

Not bad at all.

Thanks. :blush:.

No one has actually commented on that bit before.

Sam

Two points to consider:

1. You indicated that you practice dream control. Does this include Meditation? Because what you discribe is similar to Astral Projection - although, in AP one usually knows where they are going. But it's possible to get "lost" while projecting.

2. Have you read any of Lovecraft's Dream Cycles? While primarily fiction, Lovecraft had some interesting thoughts on Dream Worlds.

Back