• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Language Of The Birds

butterfly27

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm looking for information on a type of language which was allegedly used by the intelligentsia at the time of Nostradamus and possibly since. It was a hybrid of English, French and Latin, and was known either as The Green Language or The Language of the Birds.
I came across references to it years ago in the preface to a book about Nostradamus but have since lost the book title and author.
(Doh!)
The gist of it was that in order to make their writings more esoteric some authors would use this "jargon" in a way that only other initiates would understand.
Has anyone else come across references to this or something like it? Thanks.

Ask, and Google shall find!

Some of these links are about bird song, but the first one looks right on the money.
Fulcanelli explained that the great Gothic cathedrals of France were in fact "books in stone" - that is to say, they were designed by Adepts for the instruction and inspiration of the masses towards the secret wisdom, not just the popular religious wisdom of the day.

Of course the Church would never have sponsored such designs, and so the Masters used the Magical Language (also called the Language of the Birds, or the Green Language) to conceal their designs. Only a mind that was ready for the Truth would be able to decode the symbols, letters and numbers of the structure.
This adds a new angle to Green Man imagery, methinks.

Looking at some of the other links, TLOTB seems to have inspired spinoffs in art, music, and other esoteric fields.... There is also an overlap with the understanding of birdsong and animal language by shamans - a big field of study! [Note to self: Get A Life! :D ]

IIRC the book about Nostradamus that I referred to, tackled the predictions using this phonetic device quoted in the first link,
eg. art gothique / argotique. In other words by running two words together and placing the word break in a different position or omitting it altogether.
I hadn't realised that this "language of the birds" extended to other art forms like architecture and fine art.
I'd hoped for some clue as to which other writers might have made use of the device - but hey - it wouldn't be very esoteric if they advertised it. lol
In the absence of any historical evidence I suppose there's no option but to resort to that fine Fortean attribute - speculation. ;)
Obviously Nostradamus was forced into being elusive because of the witch-hunting of the era.
Perhaps the other exponents of this language with hidden meaning were the secret societies - Rosicrucians, Order of the Golden Dawn, OTO etc.
Definitely something worth delving into.

And there's all those other links to pursue yet. ;) ;)

The language of birds is essentially symbolic language. I believe the epithet may derive from Solomonic folklore, in which King Solomon was believed to have 'understood the language of birds'. Solomon was one of the archetypal wise men and numerous symbolic Hermetic and Rosicrucian treatises have been written about the architechture of Solomon's temple (along with Noah's ark and Jerusalem).
The alchemists uses a lot of puns and phonetic games to communicate their secrets, which carried on into the Rosicrucian period - notably in the name Rosicrucian which derives from a long history of punning Rosa (rose) with Ros (dew).

Hmmm. I've had a look into this and haven't been able to turn much up. On closer inspection it doesn't seem to be much more than another metaphorical idea connected with the whole renaissance hermeticism/rosicrucianism thing. That is, not an actual language but a device to re-inforce the esoteric community's sense of its own difference and power. And a figure for the veiled or allegorical meaning that hermeticists always claimed their texts concealed. Not an actual language at all, not a way to 'read' gothic architecture, just another figure for kabbalistic mucking about with words and for the use of latin, hebrew and greek. Bit disappointing really. Or am I missing something?

I really wish all the people who claim to be able to spot the awesome mysteries of creation in renaissance esoterica were more willing to specify exactly what this knowledge was, when extracted from its rhetorical context! The texts in question groan under their own sense of hidden meaning, but did their authors really know precisely what that meaning was, or were they just trying to impress?
:confused:

Who is Fulcanelli?

This Fulcanelli character seems central to the propagation of this idea. A pseudonymous 'twentieth-century alchemist', eh? With his own theories about etymology, edenic language and cathedral design? Sounds an interesting chap. Basically the idea, as others have already said, is that lots of those transcendant yet fuzzy alcemical/hermetic truths are encoded in the geometry of the great cathedrals. I apoligize in advance for this post's ridiculous length - I thought I'd put what I could find up for discussion.

***Here is a slightly barking article that seems to be trying to read all sorts of esoteric templar stuff into Rabelais, as well as dwelling at length on his regard for weed:
http://www.alchemylab.com/cannabis_stone3.htm
"'The Life of Gargantua and Pantagruel by Francois Rabelais is an esoteric work, a novel in cant. The good cure of Meudon reveals himself in it as a great initiate , as well as a first class cabalist. — Fulcanelli, Master Alchemist, Le Mystere des Cathederales
The 20th century alchemist, Fulcanelli also referred to this language of cant, as the Language of the Birds, echoing the Sufi author Attar’s Conference of Birds (see chapter 14, Moslem World), a mystic ode to hashish . Author Kenneth Rayner Johnson comments on this language of cant in The Fulcanelli Phenomena:
All initiates, Fulcanelli states, spoke in cant — including the masons who built the cathedrals and who were the operative predecessors of today's speculative Freemasons. Eventually he maintains, the “language verte” or “green language” (green...being the color of initiation in the secret societies referred to earlier) became the mode of speech of the poor, humble and oppressed. An indication of this fact can be discerned in the use of “rythming slang” among London’s Cockneys, or in the jar_gon of “hip” or “jive-talk” originally derived from American Negro blues artists and other musicians.
Fulcanelli says:
“It remains the language of a minority of individuals, living outside accepted laws, conventions, customs and etiquette. The term voyous (street-arabs), that is to say voyants (seers), is applied to them and the even more expressive term, sons or children of the sun….” — Quoted by Kenneth Rayner Johnson, The Fulcanelli Phenomenon"

***This site has a lot of information on the subject:
http://www.sangraal.com/AMET/milieu.html
This essay relates Fulcanelli to the surrealist movement.
"From this, we see that Fulcanelli's attempt to impress upon the reader the fact that there is a secret in the cathedrals, and that this secret was placed there by a group of initiates -- of which Fulcanelli is obviously one -- depends upon the abundance of imagery and association which overpowers the intellect, lulling one into an intuitve state of acceptance. Fulcanelli, like Shakespeare, overwhelms the reader with his brilliance. It is difficult to accept this man as anything but an incredible intelligence.
But even after careful reading, one finds that the "mystery" of the cathedrals is never explained, and that what one assumes to be the basic mystery of Alchemy is only glancingly delineated. There are allusions that escape the reader as easily as a mosquito glimpsed out of the corner of your eye. At moments, a glimpse of a great truth flits by, giving a hint of something incredible, and then, like the mosquito, it is gone. Cathedrals feels more like a Haiku poem, one that is ephemeral and fleeting. Frustrated, the reader starts over, reading even more carefully, following the allusions and associations, trying to find and pin down the core of meaning that one senses is there, somewhere."

**Stuff on that elusive Frank Zappa connection, including a summary of 'The Fulcanelli Mystery'
http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/misc/fulcanelli.html
The man Zappa he say:
"Fulcanelli was the "last of the alchemists" - I believe he was immortal a la Comte St. Germain, and possibly also discovered the philosopher's stone. His true identity is obscure.
"There is a little more to this story - Fulcanelli believed that the secrets of Christian hermeticsm were to be found in bas-reliefs throughout Europe's cathedrals - after he bestowed this knowledge upon a trusted disciple in 1920 (whereupon Le Mystère des Cathédrales <bibliography.html> was published) he disappeared without a trace. Thirty years later he made a single appearance to his disciple, before disappearing again, and, according to his disciple, actually had grown younger by at least 20 years."

***Here is a page with criticisms of Fulcanelli as manuscript-stealer and 'puffer':
http://azothgallery.com/caezza_fulcanelli_rev.html

"Schwaller offers brutal criticism of Fulcanelli's cabalastic exegesis. The excessive intellectual attempt to root French language directly to ancient Pelasgian Greek so as to make it a privileged vehicle for cabalistic expression, the so-called ‘language of the birds', is wholly contrary to what is actually required for cabalistic interpretation. Beyond intensified perception, celestial grace and the intelligence of the heart what does one need in order to read directly the signatures of Nature? Fulcanelli's academic expositions remains hopelessly over-etymologized. Cabalistic expression and its interpretation appear only as symptoms of amplified consciousness. They are not its cause. After careful reading of Fulcanelli a bounty of deeper insight can be derived from study of VandenBroeck's memoir as well as the works of R.A.Schwaller de Lubicz."

So, what does anyone think? My reaction is to suspect some kind of large-scale prank. Certainly I reckon this 'language of the birds' is a relatively recent creation, though it clearly fits with quite a bit of hermetic thought, particularly the search for the edenic language. Have any of you read Fulcanelli's 'The Mystery of the Cathedrals'? I'm going to try and track it down. Again, it all seems linked with all that holy blood holy grail 'underground stream' stuff.

(On a different tack, another thing that comes to mind is that 'green' had a very wide range of meanings in the early omodern period. There may be some connection with the enigmatic lines in 'The Garden' by Andrew Marvell that say: "Annihilating all that's made / To a green thought in a green shade'. I'd always assumed 'green' here was a pun linking the garden's colour to frustrated sexuality, but perhaps there could be some kind of esoteric link there?)

Fulcanelli's two books, The Mystery of the Cathedrals and The
Dwellings of the Philosophers are not humourous in any obvious
way. Their punning ambiguities seem to be designed to make
the language fluid and to meddle with the reader's mind.

That sort of alchemy was better achieved by Joyce at around the
same period. Maybe.

But in-depth punning and esoteric content have a very long
history. Donne, Shakespeare and the Metaphysical poets use
double and triple meanings to such an extent that establishing
the bounds of legitimate meanings becomes the problem.

Fulcanelli applies similar methods to images and structures,
according to the methods of esoteric and speculative Freemasonry.

Though he has never been officially unmasked, I gather the balance
of probablilities suggest that Fulcanelli was a painter called Jean-
Julien Champagne. Appropriately, he seems to have drunk himself
to death. :confused:

Thanks, JW! :)

So do you think he wants to be taken literally? In some of the material I posted he seems to be saying there was a historical cant that formed the basis for an actual 'language of the birds' but elsewhere the idea seems to be a kind of metaphor for heavy-duty wordplay of the sort he engages in himself. Perhaps it's more of a way if symbolically reading the world, a method of unlocking hidden meanings in everything, rather than a body of stuff into which meaning has already been encoded, if you see what I mean?

Quite a lot of the esoteric content discovered in seventeenth century poetry is a bit dodge, in my humble opinion. There are some strange books out there called things like 'Marvell the Alchemist' and relying heavily on unlikely anagrams and such. There are certainly alchemical references in metaphysical imagery but I'm never sure how deep they really go. I think there's a newer book on the subject called something like 'Dark Heiroglyphics' that's more level-headed.

Do you think the books are worth reading in their own right, or are they just curiosities?

I used to read myself sick in alchemy, Tomsk, but always came
out the same door I went in.

The notion that the philosopher's Gold is not common Gold but
a transformation of the Self is widely held but there are modern
alchemists who work with the May Dew and other plant extracts
in search of physical medicines!

I love the language of the alchemists but there is no consensus
about what the Prima Materia actually is. We are told over and
over that it is regarded as worthless, as dirt. Others have taken
literally the sexual symbolism and worked with blood or semen.

Fortunately there is a wonderful free alchemy resource at:

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/home.html

where you can also read the archives of messages of working
alchemists and serious researchers.

Reading Fulcanelli alone is not really going to answer many
questions - especially as he seems to be steeped in a very
French tradition of syncretic mysticism. Whenever I speak to
alchemists, they tend to laugh at the analytic approach and
just take what they want from the old texts, interpreting it
any old way.

Anyway, it's an absorbing study and an early exercise in
multimedia, as it seems the pictures are an essential key to
understanding it. The famous Mutus Liber is all pictures and no
text. And there are alchemical fugues to sing while awaiting the
sublimations!

The question arises of who read the old treatises? There seem to
be a range of types of book from workshop guides to library
editions, for the wealthy amateur. Maybe we need to see the
books as sitting happily alongside Herbals and Almanacs and
Religious exegesis. Certainly the language of alchemy did
trickle into general currency.

Anyway, at the very least, a good long look at the subject will
enrich all your other reading. Happy reading. :)

The all-knowing Wiki has a larger article about all kinds of "language of the birds":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_the_birds
A language of the birds, verbal/musical communication or language used by birds, or a mystical or divine language, is postulated in mythology, medieval literature and occultism. From the Renaissance, it was the inspiration for some magical a priori languages, in particular musical languages. Whistled languages based or constructed on or articulated natural languages used in some cultures are sometimes also referred to, and compared with, the language of the birds.

Birds played an important role in Indo-European religion, used for divination by augurs, and according to a suggestion by Walter Burkert, these customs may have their roots in the Paleolithic when during the Ice Age, early humans used to look for carrion by observing birds.

According to Apollonius Rhodius, the figurehead of Jason's ship, the Argo, was built of oak from the sacred grove at Dodona and could speak the language of birds. The language of birds in Greek mythology may be attained by magical means. Democritus, Anaximander, Apollonius of Tyana, Tiresias, Melampus and Aesopus were all said to have understood the birds. The concept is also known from many folk tales (including Welsh, Russian, German, Estonian, Greek), where usually the protagonist is granted the gift of understanding the language of the birds either by some magical transformation, or as a reward for some good deed by the king of birds. The birds then inform or warn the hero about some danger or hidden treasure. In Celtic mythology, birds usually represent prophetic knowledge or bloodshed (especially crows). Morrigan adopted the shape of a bird to warn the Brown Bull. Echoing stories of the Edda and the Mabinogion, Richard Wagner's Siegfried understands the birds after he tasted Fafner's blood.

In Sufism, the language of birds is a mystical language of angels. The Conference of the Birds (mantiq at-tair) is a mystical poem of 4647 verses by the 12th century Persian poet Farid ud-Din Attar.

Francis of Assisi is said to have preached to the birds.

In medieval France, the language of the birds (la langue des oiseaux) was a secret language of the Troubadours, connected with the Tarot, allegedly based on puns and symbolism drawn from homophony, e. g. an inn called au lion d'or "the Golden Lion" is allegedly "code" for au lit on dort "in the bed one sleeps" (note that this particular pun cannot be medieval, since final t was pronounced until Middle French, c.f. e.g. the 14th century loanword bonnet).

In the Talmud (Louis Ginzberg, Legends of the Bible, 1909), Solomon's proverbial wisdom was due to his being granted understanding of the language of birds by God. Kabbalah and Renaissance magic and alchemy, the language of the birds was considered a secret and perfect language and the key to perfect knowledge, sometimes also called the langue verte, or green language (Jean Julien Fulcanelli, Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa de occulta philosophia).

Compare also the rather comical and satirical Birds of Aristophanes and Parliament of Fowls by Chaucer.

"The language of the birds" (Die Sprache der Vögel) is a 1991 German movie. Jean Sibelius composed a wedding march titled "The language of the birds" in 1911.

Recent research into bird song has revealed a certain amount of combinatorial phonology, an aspect shared with human languages.

I believe the book you refer to is The Zelator, by Mark Hedsel, Pub Century, 1998,
It takes a very different view of Nostie than most books on the subject. Hope this helps

This is really interesting. I've heard it mentioned several times over the past few weeks, but only had a vague idea of what it was. It was mentioned that some French cathedrals had inscriptions on them. Would there be anything similar in England?

Back