• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'The Last Thing 2020 Needs': Ouija Boards For A Quid

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Poundland customers left 'disturbed' after chain starts selling Ouija boards

[...]

Some customers are not impressed that the boards are on sale.

One person tweeted: "The last thing we needed in 2020 was poundland to start selling ouija boards."

On Facebook, a picture of the boards has been shared thousands of times, with the caption: "Pound shop are selling Ouija boards for kids ... that should finish up 2020 nicely."

One woman commented: "They need to be taken off sale."

Another person agreed, adding: "This is mental they need taking down.

"Most adults don’t even know how to use them correctly never mind kids ffs.

"I have a angel board which is really the same thing & use mine often but i protect myself.

"I Defo see a lot of trouble ahead.. already a lot of spirits on loose good & bad even more so this year the world is already nutts without them selling theese In the pound shop which people will buy."

A fellow spiritualist added: "Someone should go in and buy the lot then bin them all save them getting near any kids."

One woman branded them "terrifying", adding: "Don't do it! We were left disturbed as kids!"

But many were tickled by the product, with one mum joking: "My kids don't need this there [sic] already possessed demonic little ......"

Another added: "Remember no more than 6 spirits at a time."

One man wrote: "I love the way people are thinking little 6 year old Britney is going to cause a zombie apocalypse with their pound shop board with some letters on it ... has everyone gone mental."

Full Article:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/poundland-customers-left-disturbed-after-22753148

I can hear these wonderful vox-pops in the demotic.

Their kids are probably eating these for breakfast too.
images (1).jpeg

Pop Tarts that might actually serve some purpose. Interesting.

Given the way things are going just now, I'd be happy with a Ouija Board that just had 'NO' written all over it.

In fact here's my 2020 edition design suggestion:

ARE YOU KIDDING?
YES NO NO
JUSTNOJUSTNOJUSTNOJUSTNO
NODONTBEADICKNO
TURN THE LIGHTS OFF ON YOUR WAY OUT

I knew there was something I needed from Poundland today, I forgot about the Horlicks Farm Cheese too.

Slow news day?

(Who is `disturbed` at the idea of ouja these days?)

Follow-up!

Removal of ‘satanic’ Ouija boards from NI Poundland stores welcomed
By Helen McGurk
Monday, 5th October 2020, 5:18 pm

Budget chain Poundland has removed Ouija boards from its stores in Northern Ireland after being slammed for encouraging youngsters to dabble in the occult.

The £1 items, known as Spirit Boards, were part of Poundland’s Halloween range and invited players to pose questions to the dead.

But many people took to social media to voice their concern about the sale of the products, claiming they could ‘destroy people’s lives’.
A spokesperson for Poundland yesterday confirmed the Spirit Boards had been on sale at four of its 33 stores in the province, but added: “We had a message from the spirits to make the handful that were left vanish.”

Source:
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/p...a-boards-ni-poundland-stores-welcomed-2993577

Follow-up!

Removal of ‘satanic’ Ouija boards from NI Poundland stores welcomed
By Helen McGurk
Monday, 5th October 2020, 5:18 pm

Budget chain Poundland has removed Ouija boards from its stores in Northern Ireland after being slammed for encouraging youngsters to dabble in the occult.

The £1 items, known as Spirit Boards, were part of Poundland’s Halloween range and invited players to pose questions to the dead.

But many people took to social media to voice their concern about the sale of the products, claiming they could ‘destroy people’s lives’.
A spokesperson for Poundland yesterday confirmed the Spirit Boards had been on sale at four of its 33 stores in the province, but added: “We had a message from the spirits to make the handful that were left vanish.”

Source:
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/p...a-boards-ni-poundland-stores-welcomed-2993577
They'll become valued collectables now. I remember Ouija boards being sold in the children's toy department in Beaties department store in Sutton Coldfield in the late 70's, just around the corner from the Star Wars toys.

Our local Poundland isn't stocking them either, I looked!
In the Halloween goods section there was a suspicious Ouija Board-shaped gap; left, one suspects, by their hasty removal. Shame.

I may have posted it here before, but I have a very unlikely memory of the first and only time I have seen a Ouija board in use. It was on the playground of a Catholic elementary school, along about 1966. Some of my classmates were playing with one, and they seemed to be getting results. Someone asked for the age of Mother Superior, who was also the school's principal. The prompt reply was that she was 43, which we all giggled at because it made Sister Mary Somethingorother sound even more ancient than we had imagined. That's all I remember from that day. I have no idea how such contraband made it onto the property, let alone why we precious children had been allowed to play with such an evil device.

I own one, or at least I did fairly recently. It was for sale at a thrift store for $2. Never have used it. I think it's in a big box of board games that got packed away a couple of house moves ago.

Our local Poundland isn't stocking them either, I looked!
In the Halloween goods section there was a suspicious Ouija Board-shaped gap; left, one suspects, by their hasty removal. Shame.

They missed a trick.

If they'd apologised in the press and assured readers that they'd be removed from the shelves by the end of next week at the latest, they'd be selling like hot cakes.

Dammit! I missed my chance and have not been in Poundland since February*.

I do well recall the moral panic of the 1970's, when they were sold in the toy departments of shops such as Boots and Smiths, when they cost a good deal more than £1!

Waddingtons, a trusted toys and games brand, had been promoting its pleasing cream plastic and felt update to the classic sun-moon board.

I think all that was covered here. :)

*I tell a lie. I got some Pearl-Drops there, in September. Satan nearly won that one.

Edit: The nightmare assault of all those company-related apostrophes in this post has convinced me that they really should not be there. I have put one in 1970's, which seems to be correct.

Last edited:
Halloween is so lame these days that surley Teens scaring themselves is a desirable thing?

Slow news day?

(Who is `disturbed` at the idea of ouja these days?)
Me. Not because I think they necessarily contact the afterlife, but because of the damage they can to do credulous people playing with them. Mind you, I'm not guaranteeing they don't contact something.

I gave up doing Tarot (as a party trick) because people were taking the readings seriously and acting on them.

Me. Not because I think they necessarily contact the afterlife, but because of the damage they can to do credulous people playing with them. Mind you, I'm not guaranteeing they don't contact something...

Ouija boards seem to me to be a bit like the high strength weed that everyone smokes these days: some people are going to be able to dabble at will with no apparent side effects. Others end up screwed for life. Often instantly. And often deeply.

I have personal experience of two occasions when the ouija has caused serious trauma - and long term psychological side effects - to one of the individual's involved. I have no idea or opinion on the actual mechanics of the processes involved, or the 'reality' of any experiences - but that seems somehow irrelevant; to my mind, if something has consequences then - at least at some level - it exists.

Last edited:
Back