The Legendary Thunderbird Photo

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't explain my self very clearly.
I think that many people have seen either this image or one of the marabou stork images as referenced by Dr Shuker when much younger, later they have come across references to thunderbird pictures, this prompts the little grey cells to go rifling through the mental archives and up comes a conflation of the seen image with what is expected (ie barn, people in old american dress) they say to themselves, "yes I've seen that" and Bingo!
It is a reconstruction of Argentavis magnificens.

Hardly implausible, sure.

Although I still would not 100% discount that such a photo existed. One of my main concerns about modern digital publishing is that unless a physical copy of *any* document survives some day it will disappear for good.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I was convinced I remembered it being in here....
20141217_104055 (500x352).jpg

.......it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I had the individual PG Tips cards, only got the album off eBay a couple of years back - it's got some classics in there all right.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Do the reports of memories of the thunderbird photo mention if it had feathers or not? Now we know dinosaurs probably had feathers, would it make it less likely to be an authentic memory if nobody had mentioned that detail in the legendary pic?

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Do the reports of memories of the thunderbird photo mention if it had feathers or not? Now we know dinosaurs probably had feathers, would it make it less likely to be an authentic memory if nobody had mentioned that detail in the legendary pic?

Pterosaurs weren't dinosaurs.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
But was the thunderbird a pterosaur and did it have feathers in the memories of those who remember it?
I remember the thunderbird photo being 4 or 5 prospector types standing, holding a huge raptor type bird in front of them, ive seen pretty much all of the images proported to be the thunderbird pic, the civil war soldiers, the nailed to a barn, the stork but the one i reember was not a pterosaur or stork, definately a huge bird with feathers.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I remember the thunderbird photo being 4 or 5 prospector types standing, holding a huge raptor type bird in front of them, ive seen pretty much all of the images proported to be the thunderbird pic, the civil war soldiers, the nailed to a barn, the stork but the one i reember was not a pterosaur or stork, definately a huge bird with feathers.

Having a look at the mock-ups, it seems you get both feathered and unfeathered varieties mentioned as memories.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Having a look at the mock-ups, it seems you get both feathered and unfeathered varieties mentioned as memories.
My memory is some sort of huge condor/eagle/vulture type bird

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
Reasonable since it's all derived from people's imaginations of memories.
There isn't a right answer to the questions of what THE "thunderbird" photo really looked like.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I browsed the entire thread earlier.
Many of the posted links are now dead but, to summarise, both the photos of US Civil War soldiers standing around a supposed downed pterosaur (the Freakylinks one and the canoe one) are confirmed hoaxes and something of a red herring.
The legendary "missing" photo that people recall seeing had a large winged creature - possibly feathered, possibly not, stretched out in front of a barn or similar building.
A brief Google, using these criteria, displays a number of photos and a few sketches.
I won't bother posting the drawings, but I assume the following photos have long since been thoroughly debunked?

tb1.JPGtb2.JPGtb4.JPG
tb5.JPG

Isn't it possible that mock-ups like these have been used in cryptozoological publications and credulous readers took them at face value as genuine photos?

Let's face it, finding an extant pterosaur or even an Argentavis magnificens would be utterly fantastic - but it isn't going to happen and these magnificent creatures haven't graced our skies for millions of years.

Attachments

• tb3.JPG
    tb3.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 9