• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
thunderbird photo found

Nice Try, Pal but the merchandise had a message saying that it is unavailable or has been moved to another site.

The Thunderbird strikes again!!

I believe Ivan Sanderson first claimed to have seen it in some magazine in the 50's,then John Keel and several others got in on it.The best article on this alleged wonder is in"Strange"magazine,starting with the last print issue,No.20,and continued in No.21,which is exclusively online.It can be accessed from the links section.Offhand,I can't remember how much it costs.

http://www.unmuseum.org/quet.htm (and still there, Erishkigal! :D)

that's the link I was talking about. It's a pretty rudimentary site, but seems very level headed and on the whole accurate to it's sources. Some accounts are quite detailed, like the most info I've seen (and I've only looked in passing) about the baghdad battery.

Thunderbird pic

I often got the vague rememberance of seeing a thunderbird pic years and years ago (end of the 70's). If my memory doesn't fail me, it was in a small magazine published by Time Life called "The Unexplained" (I was reading the french version of this mag, but the title should be almost the same right?)

Mind you, I did some research trying to find that picture again, and never managed, so it could be just a case of fake memory, global consciouness or whatever you may want to call it.

Re: Thunderbird pic

ysengrin said:
If my memory doesn't fail me, it was in a small magazine published by Time Life called "The Unexplained"
[/B]

Nah, the Unexplained (if it's the same one I'm thinking about) was written for by a load of eminent fortean types, including a certain Bob Rickard, editor of FT. If it had made it in there I feel sure that one of them would recall it. There might have been an artist's impression that you recall though, and just because it wasn't in there doesn't mean to say it didn't make it in to any other 70's publication that you've seen.

There is speculation that its a photo of a Marabou stork held by natives, or a man in a museum stood next to a mock up of a teratorn, that people have badly remembered. It is possible that people, when asked if they've seen the Thunderbird photo, vaguely remember seeing one of these, and they fill in the gaps they can't remember with the Thunderbird details.

Saying that, I hope it is out there ready for discovery. And tantalisingly its something that we armchair forteans can indeed discover, simply by furtling around old libraries and bookshops. It could be the one trip to the Oxfam shop that brings a major cryptozoological discovery! (Unless of course you find any second hand Thylacine stoles for sale).

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned C4's series "In Search of Mythical Monsters" (Fri, 2000)

Last week they did one on the thunderbird. Although I wasn't paying total attention, it seems they were suggesting that there is indeed a giant American bird that is in fact too large to fly normally, and so has to rely on gliding on updraughts. Since thunderstorms provide such updraughts, the birds tend to follow thunderstorms - hence their name.

And this is the second thread today where I have mentioned thunder storms.....

C4's Mythical Monsters programme

Ah didn't bother with it this week... the Yeren one the week before didn't really inspire me to forgo the pub.

Was it a living bird they were talking about, cos I can't think of one that fits the bill?

I suspect it was the teratorn they were talking about, a huge raptor once native to the Americas. It was the size of a plane, and had the largest wingspan of any bird ever to live.

I wish it was true that pteradons and teratorns could still be around, but surely summat that spends most of its life in the sky would be pretty easy to spot?

What about satellite photography, why don't we see them on there? Though I could imagine with just a single camera, it would be hard to distinguish between small bird up close, and giant bird far away.

That picture I remembered, I am pretty sure now it was a pencil skecth from Fortean Times done as a reconstruction of what the original picture was supposed to look like.

Mr. Skellington- went to the Unmuseum site (been there before) The Thunderbird pix/drawings they show are nothing I haven't seen before.
Are there any NEW AND DRAMATIC photos anywhere???

Major Kraut said:
The photo you're probably referring to is of three African tribesmen holding up a dead stork,two men stretching out the wings and one holding the bird upright.It appears,among other places,in Karl Shukers'"In Search of Prehistoric Survivors".It was probably taken in East Africa sometime before 1914.

A-HA! That's what I vaguely remembered. I swore I'd seen the thunderbird picture myself, but when I read the above the picture clarified in my mind. Thank you for clearing up that little mystery.

Large birds have also been proposed as explanations for some sightings of the Mothman and my fellow state resident The Jersey Devil.

Thunderbird pics

thunderbird.htm

ive already seen the bottom one which looks fake but the top one is different.. do you think it is real? apparently the bottom one was a holly wood recreation of a picture.. maybe this is it

anyways let me know what u think

Re: Thunderbird pics

RichardSimmons said:
thunderbird.htm

ive already seen the bottom one which looks fake but the top one is different.. do you think it is real? apparently the bottom one was a holly wood recreation of a picture.. maybe this is it

anyways let me know what u think

Hard to say, though the bottom one is a fake I'm hard pressed to say whether the top one is real or not....after seeing all these doctored pics floating around it makes it hard to make up ones mind whether it's real or not............:confused:

It was in FT a while back. It's a fake.

Keep searching, dudes!

I can't believe anyone would think the top photo was real.The guy on the far left is so fat he can't even button up his tunic.With soldiers like these,the Union would have been hard pressed to win the war.The re-enactors over here now have started to discourage overweight people from participating.That short NCO on the far right looks kind of like I would squeezed into a uniform.

God,and to think that when I went into the Navy 28 years ago I was actually slightly underweight!

i think ruling a photograph a fake just because it has a fat person in it is kinda rediculous dont u? i mean if the picture of deloys ape had a fat native standing behind it would you think "its fake cos natives are skinny" would be appropriate?
i wasnt around during the civil war days but im pretty sure that theyre were people with glad problems etc and im pretty sure that some of the generals and soldiers probably where overwieght.. think about it.. these people used to be civillians.. if he was a farmer and made his own vegetables etc and meat im pretty sure he wouldnt skimp when it cam to dinner time.
im pretty sure there where fat bastards around...

Yes, I'm sure they had sloppy soldiers in the civil war, however the photos you've shown are from a TV series, and were mocked up for it (see the other thunderbird thread).

People were looking for the second photo though, and you've got that so it's not a total loss. These fake photos, altohugh made for legitimate reasons, are just going to confuse the whole Thunderbird thing further...

i doubtt he pictures are true... even if they where true how did the soldiers supposidly kill the creature? did they shoot it as it flew over head??? i find it hard that they could kill a creature like that with theyre weapons... considering that if these creatures did exist they would move pretty quick and im sure fly quite high in the air. i also remember reading an article some time ago about pteradons and how if they existed nowadays they would be unable to fly as the air now isnt as dense as the air back in prehistoric times, anyone know anything about this?

Thunderbird pics

Hello, all!

The photo in question is a Fake!

It was used on a short-lved series called "Freakylinks" in a Pteradactyl/Pteranadon storyline.

Shortly after the broadcast, I read an article (think it may have been on the Internet) written by the special effect person who created the model and the person who took the photo.

Sorry to disappoint!

Re: Thunderbird pics

erishkigal said:
Hello, all!

The photo in question is a Fake!

It was used on a short-lved series called "Freakylinks" in a Pteradactyl/Pteranadon storyline.

We know that, but what about the other one? If you click the link in RichardSimmons posts it brings up two pics and the one is the freaky links pic but what about the other?

I think they're both from"Freakylinks",it's just that the Pteranodon prop is posed differently in the top photo and taken from a distance.Actually,the"soldiers in the bottom photo are more realistic looking.Another mistake I've noticed in the top picture is the NCO on the far right.He is wearing a"shell"jacket,which was worn only by cavalrymen and artillerymen,while the rest are obviously infantrymen.He also appears to be armed with what is probably a Springfield infantry musket,which neither artillery or cavalry were amed with.

Thunderbird pics

I check out BOTH photos- still not convinced that either one is the genuine article!

The one in picture 2 is also very badly done!

Picture 3 looks like it has the head of a duck, and it looks like (on my crappy work pc) the picture is sharper than the text, which is kinda strange.

i was thinking the same thing about the duck

and wouldnt the wings be lighter and less ridgid? The wings in this picture look hard and stiff.

Funny the article on pic 3 seems to be about mammoths - also, no picture comment/ title and the black border around the pic - pasted on do you think?

I think we can safely say that this is a fake and a very bad one at that. Considering that there is no bone structure to the wing either. How was this thing suppost to fly? what other creature in the world has wings shaped like that and that are just flat with no bone structure?

definately a fake. I think i could make a more convincing one to be honest.

tang-malow said:
and wouldnt the wings be lighter and less ridgid? The wings in this picture look hard and stiff.

fair point, there also don't appear to be any joints in the wings. looks like leather (?) over a metal wire.

Back