• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The list of dead cryptozoologists

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
is getting large. I visit Loren Coleman's Cryptozoonews site once in a while and everytime there's a list of new deaths among cryptozoologists. It might be coincidences, age and disease. Most of them seems to be in their 40s, 50s and 60s. Perhaps the community is larger than I thought. I am not saying there's a conspiracy...

See uploaded screengrabs from the first page.

dead cryptozoologists 1.jpg

dead cryptozoologists 2.jpg

Last edited:
The first four I looked at were 60, 70, 79 & 90!

I think it's probably the connectedness of the internet. Lives and deaths that would once have been obscure are gathered into one place. If patterns can be established, it might be something for the epidemiologists.

In some cases, I know, people engage with their Fortean pursuits when retired, burned out or stressed. Demographically, the kind of web-presence we find on dedicated sites is tilted towards the middle-aged and upwards.

It is certainly true that the Grim Reaper has appeared to be very busy in the last year or so, cutting a swathe through the ranks of the famous. Yet the phenomenon will be much less noticed by youngsters. :(

The first four I looked at were 60, 70, 79 & 90!

I think it's probably the connectedness of the internet. Lives and deaths that would once have been obscure are gathered into one place. If patterns can be established, it might be something for the epidemiologists.

In some cases, I know, people engage with their Fortean pursuits when retired, burned out or stressed. Demographically, the kind of web-presence we find on dedicated sites is tilted towards the middle-aged and upwards.

It is certainly true that the Grim Reaper has appeared to be very busy in the last year or so, cutting a swathe through the ranks of the famous. Yet the phenomenon will be much less noticed by youngsters. :(
The last four was 39, 43, 39. Barry Blount probably in his 70s.

There do seem to be a lot of them. Who'd have thought it.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Why do some posts come out here?

Why do some posts come out here?

Because of the way the sub-threads are defined. There are effectively five places a Crypto post can appear.
Maybe these ten outside subjects could be assigned to the relevant sub-thread but can the Post New Topic button be hidden at the top level? :confused:

The same thing happens on a few other threads. It's a bit untidy.

Weird. I posted one in 'General' that came out here once. So, does that mean the machine decides where to put it based on its title? Because mine came out here straight away, as I remember it. And it's fair enough, it may have been better placed in New Science or something. But the Bili ape, Besides Patterson/Gimlin and Dicky Devo's threads seem to fit into existing sub categories.

It doesn't make any difference, I'm just curious.

Back