• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I think that some of the sightings are of huge fish, catfish, sturgeons and most interestingly eels.

I haven't tried scale measurements, but why am I reminded of Canadian canoes? Large non-Kayak flattened-keel scoop vessels.

Last edited:
My personal favourite is the naked young lady invoking the monster.
It may have been Morgawr rather than Nessie come to think of it and possibly involve Doc Shiels. Great photograph anyway.
Incidentally I discovered who put the snapping turtle into Swan Pool at Sandwell Valley, cause of the infamous Valleygator sightings.
Iirc there was a great photo of Dr Karl Shuker in his combats at the site, and mighty impressive he looked too.
He only lives a stones throw away from me, Ive seen him a few times but far too shy to speak to him, probably because he would tell me to stop throwing stones at his house.
Anyway, it was Rob's brother, can't say too much as the first rule about Rob's brother is we don't talk about Rob's brother.

Thank you, didn't know that.
The one deeply unfortunate casualty of bottom line Britain is the lack of those splendidly eccentric characters who added so much to the spice of life in the past.

Thank you, didn't know that.
The one deeply unfortunate casualty of bottom line Britain is the lack of those splendidly eccentric characters who added so much to the spice of life in the past.

I'm sure there are plenty of eccentrics left. But I'm not sure that loss of people who get their fairly young daughters to pose naked during their incantations in the presence of press photographers is necessarily something to mourn. Although of course I realise that's not what you were getting at.

But, I do agree genuine eccentricity is at a premium these days.

Go figure. I always thought the girl in the photo was in her early twenties.
You have second guessed me to some extent, I was going to make the point that eccentrics would be brutalized as nutters and probably paedos nowadays, as the world seems increasingly to belong to the vicious, greedy and stupid but I thought against it in the end.
Perhaps in politics still, there is something comforting in seeing our M.P's on election night standing next to a Monster Raving Looney candidate, indeed, didn't one Liberal Democrat poll less votes than someone dressed as a dolphin?
I blame John Virgo for my line of thought, he mentioned during the snooker the great Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. Not many Vivian Stanshall types around any more.

University of Otago scientist set out to figure out if Nessie the Loch Ness Monster exists
9:48 AM Monday Apr 3, 2017

A New Zealand scientist is to DNA test the waters of Loch Ness in another bid to determine once and for all if Nessie exists.

Professor Neil Gemmell will look for traces of unusual DNA by gathering water samples from the Scottish loch before analysing them using police forensic techniques.

Professor Gemmell, of the University of Otago, said he thinks this could solve the monster mystery, according to the Daily Mail.
"We use environmental DNA to monitor marine biodiversity. From a few litres of water we can detect thousands of species," he said.

"All large organisms lose cells as they move through their environment. New genomic technology is sensitive enough to pick this up and we can use comparisons to databases that span the majority of known living things.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11830724

University of Otago scientist set out to figure out if Nessie the Loch Ness Monster exists
9:48 AM Monday Apr 3, 2017

A New Zealand scientist is to DNA test the waters of Loch Ness in another bid to determine once and for all if Nessie exists.

Professor Neil Gemmell will look for traces of unusual DNA by gathering water samples from the Scottish loch before analysing them using police forensic techniques.

Professor Gemmell, of the University of Otago, said he thinks this could solve the monster mystery, according to the Daily Mail.
"We use environmental DNA to monitor marine biodiversity. From a few litres of water we can detect thousands of species," he said.

"All large organisms lose cells as they move through their environment. New genomic technology is sensitive enough to pick this up and we can use comparisons to databases that span the majority of known living things.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11830724
Good idea .. I doubt the professor will find proof of a Nessie but finger's crossed that other interesting bio diversity will be uncovered at the least.

maybe an otter?

that wasn't what I /intended/ to express to Bigphoot. But all love is valid lololololol

Back