• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Many snakes, including boas and anacondas give birth to live young as do many lizards.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I was sceptical so looked it up. Scientists have "recently discovered" that a few species of snake are fully viviparious, giving birth to live young that have been nourished through a placenta, just like mammals. The same is true of around 20% of species of lizard.

Snakes are fascinating creatures. All the different ways they can reproduce: laying eggs and leaving them to hatch; laying eggs and actively incubating them; ovoviviparous (fertilised eggs continue to develop in the mother's body and are laid at the very last moment, or the hatchlings may even be "born" inside the mother); viviparious (nourishing the young in the womb via a placenta); and even in some cases, parthenogenesis: asexual reproduction. All the different methods of locomotion they have. All the different hunting techniques. It is surprising they haven't taken over the world.

For archival purposes ... Here's the (apparently enlarged) excerpt illustrating the object ...

RobinsonFoto-1808.jpg

I'm a bit surprised that this is not generating more excitment than it is. This is the first half-way decent Nessie image we've had in a long long while - and it is preceded by a sighting of somethin g sounding pretty much the same from about a week earlier:

https://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2018/08/loch-ness-monster-sighting-last-week.html#comment-form

The image looks surprisngly similar to the thoroughly dicredited, but indelibly iconic, `Surgeon's photo` of the thirties - so much so that if I wasn't loathe to diss a 12 year old girl, I'd go for a hoax explanation.

The reaction to the shot from the usual suspects is a bit unpredicted too: Steve Feltham (who I thought had writtten off the whole thing as a large sturgeon) is getting palpitations, whereas the uber-believer Glagow-Boy (in his above blog) seems a little ho-hum about it.

And me: I'm a Nessie sceptic, so why am I pleased that the non-existent Nessie is back?

As with all Nessie photos, it's distant & out of focus so there's not much to say about it apart from speculation. My first thought was possibly a seal but looking at the comments, it's been more or less ruled out.

On looking up seals in the loch, it seems they're actually quite rare - according to this study, a seal is seen in the loch on average every two years. That's one seal. So if there was one it'd be unusual & noticeable.

I see quite a few seals and to me that doesn't look like one,
It looks to me like a deer or of all things a goat,
what I would really like it to be was a true nessi.

I did happen to snap a picture of a seal doing that Nessie thing on my recent holiday

Attachments

• DSC_1034 copy.jpg
    DSC_1034 copy.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 15
I have always wondered about these sightings whether people are seeing possibly exotic animals which have been released into the loch by owners who simply don't want them anymore. I say this because in the local lake which is quite large all sorts of weird and wonderful species get released there. Several years quite large turtles were a fairly common sight as were large snakes.

It's a forearm and hand in shadow. I can see the thumb and everything. I am squeezing my fingers together and have made an identical shape.

I had the same impression. The first thing that came to mind was 'sock puppet'.

New sighting
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3640696/author-amazing-new-loch-ness-monster-picture/

A respected military historian reckons he has captured an amazing new pic of Nessie.

Ricky D Phillips took his astonishing snap last week and is convinced his sighting of a "bird-like" Loch Ness monster has cracked the centuries-old mystery.
There is of course no sense in which a vague and unconvincing photograph has "cracked the mystery". There are loads of vague and unconvincing photographs.

I suspect that the person who was involved in helping to make this photograph can also do an emu, a red indian, a barking dog, a butterfly...

There is of course no sense in which a vague and unconvincing photograph has "cracked the mystery". There are loads of vague and unconvincing photographs. I suspect that the person who was involved in helping to make this photograph can also do an emu, a red indian, a barking dog, a butterfly...

:rofl2: Sry. That reply hit my funnybone.

It’s Emu!

I always thought the Surgeon’s photo odd, not because of the shape of the object but the scale of the waves on the water. It alway looked to me as being about a foot long. Same here. The water looks odd. Also the neck looks straight and unnatural. I don’t think this image has cracked anything.

Back