• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
This sounds like a joke. WTF would this "hunt" accomplish? Even dumber stuff than invading Area 51 which is super dumb but at least you aren't underwater where you can't see a meter in front of you. I guess what the most annoying aspect is that (formerly) legit news media cover this stuff now. A monkey could do just as well. Journalism sucks.

The only thing I can see it achieving if it goes ahead is causing a lot of inconvenience for a lot of people. Plus if some get into trouble, then folks will have to risk their necks to save them.

Some light relief from Hong Kong.

A man says he spotted the Loch Ness monster while watching a live stream from Hong Kong. Michael Yuen was suprised when he spied the “unknown object coming out of Urquhart Bay”. He said he was watching the feed as “relief to the stress” of recent protests in Hong Kong. It is the 14th time this year Nessie has been spotted.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/odd-news/102754/doctors-find-mans-false-teeth-stuck-in-his-voicebox

That fishy scan....

1565819694637.jpeg

I used to do scuba diving and I used a small echo sounder/fish finder on my boat. It will show reflections of the seabed (lake bed) but it will also reflect off bubbles — including the swim bladders of fish.

When there are divers down, the air they breathe out forms large bubbles which the echo sounder treats as large fish. All the echo sounder is doing is showing an echo, rather than correctly identifying the target.

Therefore, a cluster or stream of bubbles may show up as a long continuous shape, and as the bubbles ascend at different rates depending on their size, and the small ones can merge, the shape changes, and may also dissipate — making the target impossible to find on a second or third sweep of the area.

Bubbles can also be released by decaying matter on the sea bed/lake bed, often in short bursts.

Also, a large dense shoal of small fish may sometimes cause a compound reflection that may be identified incorrectly as a single large target.

There are also occasional pieces of debris and weed that are more or less neutrally buoyant that can hang about in mid water, ether slowly ascending or slowly descending. Deep water is not consistent in density due to layered changes in temperature, salinity (in the sea or estuaries, rather than Loch Ness) or particulates in suspension, so an item of the right density may be positively buoyant in one layer and negatively buoyant in another, and be temporarily trapped at the boundary. There will be a lot of sheets of polythene, old feed sacks and that type of thing in the loch.

I've read the article in the link. There is certainly nothing here to justify concluding that it was an unknown species of megafauna. My guess is bubbles from decaying matter.

Either that or a traffic cone thrown in there by a bunch of students as a hilarious jape. :)

But they're not saying what it is yet

Loch Ness Monster: 'Plausible theory' for Nessie
  • 32 minutes ago

An international team of scientists say they have identified a plausible theory for sightings of the Loch Ness Monster.
The team took 250 water samples at various depths throughout the loch last year, collecting all forms of environmental DNA for further analysis.
While they did not come face to face with Nessie, the scientists say they have a biological explanation for her.
The team will announce the results of their studies next month.
etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49419989

The heavy rain pushed masses of branches down into the loch at the weekend. To me it looks like one of those. I love how taken aback the salmon looks though.
It looks the right colour and shape to be an eel and seems to have a fin on the rear end. It moves like an eel too, i've seen a fair few. Not sure if the fish is brown trout or a salmon but the object in the background looks much bigger than a common eel in comparison.

Yep I to think the fish is a trout.

More will be revealed later today.
Loch Ness Monster: Scientists to reveal 'plausible' theory
A team of scientists are to reveal the "plausible theory" they have identified for sightings of Nessie.
Research led by a New Zealand university has sought to catalogue all living life in Loch Ness by analysing DNA collected from water samples.
Last month, the team said it had a biological explanation for the Loch Ness Monster.
This along with other findings from the study are to be announced at an event in Drumnadrochit later on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49495145

Waiting with bated breath!

Is this the sturgeon theory? Giant otter? Or some other unknown phenotype found in the available DNA?

Delicious prospect :)

The theory is out! They've updated the article so go to Bigphoot2's bbc link for the exciting conclusion that WILL BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF.

Well, pooh.
That's possibly the most disappointing outcome.

Are they even eels of unusual size?

Bah, to ape a recent popular, though colloquial, meme, #CryptidMeHole

Back