• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Long, Strange Relationship Between Psychedelics & Telepathy

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
In February of 1971, approximately 2,000 attendees at six Grateful Dead concerts at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, New York saw this message projected onto a large screen at 11:30 PM: “YOU ARE ABOUT TO PARTICIPATE IN AN ESP EXPERIMENT.”

It was a test to see if people could use extra-sensory perception, or ESP, to telepathically transmit randomly chosen images to two “psychic sensitive” people, Malcolm Bessent and Felicia Parise, who were sleeping 45 miles away. Bessent was at the Maimonides Dream Laboratory in Brooklyn, while Parise slept in her apartment.

Art prints, selected at random, were projected at the Dead show, like The Castle of the Pyrenees and Philosophy in the Boudoir by René Magritte, or a visual representation of spinal chakras. Bessent and Parise described their dreams to two evaluators, an art therapy student and a divinity student, who then judged them based on their similarities to the images shown at the concert.

The Grateful Dead were chosen because the members of the band agreed to facilitate such an experiment, but also because those who conducted the study had determined that the audience would be especially primed for telepathic abilities, in part because of the state of mind they assumed the audience would be in.

In a paper summarizing the project, the authors wrote, “It was apparent to observers at the concert that the majority of the people in the audience were in states of consciousness that had been dramatically altered…these altered states of consciousness were brought about by the music, by the ingestion of psychedelic drugs before the concerts started, and by contact with other members of the audience.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z34...lationship-between-psychedelics-and-telepathy

maximus otter

This isn't about telepathy, but more with 'the sixth sense', or whatever you would like to call it.
I have always had this 'sense' that I have written about before, handed down to me by my British Grandmother. She was really strange, and did things such as saving her family's life during bombings in WWII. I grew up with her and when I look back now I see how she knew things about the future which came true. She could touch someone and their whole life would flash before her. Not that she enjoyed having this sense.
Anyway, I have certainly consumed my share of alcohol when younger, especially that I was bartending for some time.
Never tried LSD, angel dust, heroin, or any of the hardline variety of drugs, but cocaine was floating around in the bar scene back in the day, it was especially popular because it would give one a feeling of 'soberness' after having many drinks, so you could have a few more. And if one was feeling a bit tired, it was a quick pick-me-up.
For myself, I never liked it, but would try a bit to get me through the late hours. I used to get laughed at, others would tell me that they dropped more on the floor than I ever did, and I found that though it would make me feel awake I am also very nervous, and didn't like the speedy feeling.
However, I noticed that just a tiny bit of cocaine seemed to 'unleash' this sense of mine, I would have terrible dreams of someone dying, car accidents, things of that nature that would come true. And I started seeing this 'Grim Reaper' foreshadowing death. It so frightened me that I never did it again.
It was almost as if another 'level' in the mind opens, or something along those lines.
Just my experience, and I never heard of anyone else having that.

In my very limited exposure to LSD when younger I can attest to shared hallucinations - not telepathy in the recognised sense but still sharing personal sensory information that ought to remain isolated in your head. Some-one says 'oh wow do you see that ?' You say 'what what ?' and as the image is described verbally (eg a face in a wood knot or low hanging grapes from a Beech tree), you suddenly see it too. Can't prove that what you're seeing is what your mate is seeing, but that's true for normal vision. LSD increases your susceptibility and sensory pliability through some psycho-pharmacological magic. I read that the CIA tried out LSD as a truth drug, but not of much use because the subject will pick up on subtle clues and helpfully tell the interrogator what they think they want to hear. Telepathy at a distance without verbal clues is out, but I still 'know' when close friends and family members are in a crisis moment (car crash, extreme anxiety) - not who or how but when.

Back