• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Lost Ark Of The Covenant

Out of Semi-Ignorance

I speak out of semi-ignorance, not being imbued with the light of religious indoctrination received as a child, but are there not hints or statements that dealing directly with the ark, or its contents, caused all manner of maladies? And is it not further true that the symptoms described sound remarkably like radiation poisoning?

Is it possible they've got a big chunk of uranium in there? Or some other radioactive material?

I know there is much fringe writing on this sort of interpretation, so I'm asking if anyone knows if this is at all legitimate.

FraterLibre:

I have always thought that the radioactive hypothesis had merit. Even if it features only slightly in the design of the box or as an addition to the overall magic of the thing.

Ninja:

Just a thought - maybe they never opened it? They have been told it is the true ark and religiously accept that fact.
Quite possibly, but it does get taken out in an annual festival. This could obviously be a replica and the original is left in peace.

Its a fair point though.

Those priests who are chosen to stand guard have to obey and if they resist then they may be chained to the wall and forced to stand guard.

I hope to god that they have something of worth in there because if it turns out to be full of sand or something then their lives have been rather mis-spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for Nought

Even if it's sand, their dedication and respect and reverence were not for nothing, as the purpose of such exercises isn't really to guard the holy relic, but rather to transfix and transform those focused upon it.

I suspect the radioactive theory is a good one, though, given the glow, the fearful respect, the dangers, and the effects of exposure mentioned, etc. Imagine people from 2000 years ago having to come up with protocols to deal with a piece of dangerously radioactive rock -- they'd not understand it, but they'd sure grasp its power, mystery, and even its majesty, and might just learn that distance, and heavy metal such as lead or gold, insulates one from its worse effects.

The Ark of the Covenant

Did anyone catch the James Whale show on Talk Radio tonight?

Well, this Australian author was on called Maree Moore. Among many other things, she was claiming that she knows that the Ark of the Covenant exists through her dreams, and she knows it's precise location. She was unwilling to reveal it on national radio though, but said she will be giving it away in her next book...

I'm thinking, oh well - bullshit, she's trying to sell a few books here...

But then there were callers ringing in saying they had dreamt of the location also, and they had been contacted through the dreams. One caller rang in saying "Is it located in a place of many mounds?", she just replied "Yes.", it seemed he instantly understood what she was talking about. However, the knowledge between them was that any person would have no chance of finding it, and only the chosen person will find it.

She and the callers believe that it's gonna be found soon, possibly within the next year.

Weirdness.

Any thoughts, or perhaps links on this?

Sounds convincing and intriguing. Almost convincing enough to inspire people to buy the book, perhaps. Almost convincing enough to be worth doing as a marketting scam, maybe.

Re: The Ark of the Covenant

ReverendGoretex said:
"Is it located in a place of many mounds?", she just replied "Yes.", it seemed he instantly understood what she was talking about. However, the knowledge between them was that any person would have no chance of finding it, and only the chosen person will find it.

Ah a golf course then? my moneys on the egyptions tbh, theres refreneces to the arc in the book of kings after the etheopians claim to have had it away so seams to me that they're just chancers in that monistry ;)

Re: The Ark of the Covenant

Very intersting though i've no further info to offer. Could well be a set-up but would Mr Whale play along? - He can be a contrary git when he chooses. No one person planted would be guaranteed to get through on the phone lines and subsequently on air.

Seeing as i've just come from the Double Entendre thread:

ReverendGoretex said:
"Is it located in a place of many mounds?"

A gynaecology ward? ;)

Hmm...of course, she could have arranged for 'callers' masquerading as Joe Public to phone in. I don't think this is convincing at all. Unless she actually goes public and/or then uncovers the Ark, I'm not going to hold my breath. Otherwise it's just talk on a talk show ;) Does she have a book out or something?

What are you people on about?

Everyone knows the Ark is buried under the Hill of Tara in Co. Meath, as revealed by the British Israelites circa 1900.

Actually there is a new book out on this topic - about the nutters digging for it (thus destroying a National Monument) and the oppositon to them from Irish Nationalists. Will dig out the details of the book, recently published, and post them here.

Lauren Churchill said:
Uh. I feel like an idiot now... What's the Ark of the Covenant?

It's that thing that blasts all the baddies in the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark ...

:D

The Ark was said to, rather like the film, cause an army using it to win against all enemies.

Historically, what would be the best factual (or at least archaeologically sound) book about the Ark, it's legends, it's possible loactions, and even how it looked?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
It's that thing that blasts all the baddies in the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark ...
:D

You'd think God could manage better special effects...

The Yithian said:
You'd think God could manage better special effects...
I don't know - that face melting was pretty good for its time.

However, if she knows where it is, why doesn't she just go there and unearth it and prove to the world that she's right instead of giving away some presumably ambiguous clues in a book and then claiming she's right on the remote offchance someone discovers it. (And if noone does then it's their fault for not following her instructions). I think I've answered my own question there.

Which came first, Noah's ark or the Ark of the Covenant? Could they really be the same thing? Did Noah sail around with a couple of stone slabs as ballast? Or did Moses find a convenient old wooden boat to transport his stones in?

Steve.

I've seen documentaries about the Ark so I feel qualified to make a statement.

The ark is in a catholic church in Ethiopia, into which very few people are allowed. It is being guarded by a sect of nuns.

The power of the ark comes from the 'fact' that it was basically a large battery, made from zinc plates with mercury and stuff (I don't "do" chemistry) so whenever someone touched it it got grounded and gave them a rather deathly blow.

A view which has received little attention until the past decade has now been popularized by a recent book. The Sign and the Seal: The Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant, by British journalist Graham Hancock, has almost reached best-seller status and captured the imagination of the general public. According to this view, the Ark of the Covenant was taken from ancient Jerusalem in the days of King Solomon. While there are numerous variations of the story, the common thread centers on a son fathered by Israelite King Solomon and born to the Queen of Sheba. While this union is not mentioned in the Biblical account of the meeting between these two monarchs (1 Kings 10), it has a long tradition in Ethiopia, a suggested location of ancient Sheba.

This son, named Menelik, is said to have brought the Ark to his country for safe keeping, according to an account preserved in the Ethiopian royal chronicles. This story has also been boosted by the now famous Black Jews of Ethiopia, the Falashas. These black Africans, practicing a very ancient form of Judaism, received international attention when an Israeli military action airlifted them to freedom from political persecution in 1976.
This page also says: "archaeology is not a treasure hunt and the Bible does not need the recovered Ark to be proved accurate," though... :rolleyes:

It's obvious...

The Ark of the Covenant is hidden beneath Rosslyn Chapel along with the Holy Grail, the mummified head of Christ, Baphomet the mysterious idol of the Knights Templar, Excalibur, the Spear of Destiny, scrolls with the original gospels, the treasure of the Knights Templar, a crashed UFO and the lost artefacts of the Cathars.

The floor is not unexpectedly a bit uneven... ;)

Some people even claim that the Ark of the Covenant is the Holy Grail in a different guise. :hmph:

sjwk said:
Which came first, Noah's ark or the Ark of the Covenant? Could they really be the same thing? Did Noah sail around with a couple of stone slabs as ballast? Or did Moses find a convenient old wooden boat to transport his stones in?
Steve.
The Noah's Ark story is older: it's based on Mesopotamian material dating back to at least 2000 to 3000 BCE (there are Sumerian tablets that old carrying the same essential story), whereas the Ark of the Covenant carries the Law on the tablets brought down by Moses, and Moses -if he existed- is thought to date to around 1200 BCE more or less.

Ark is related to the Latin "arca" meaning chest, with an older root IIRC that can mean any large container - so Noah's Ark was Noah's Container (as opposed to ship, and opens up a whole avenue of semantic possibilities ;)) and the Container of the Covenant (bequest, or in some contexts agreement) given to Moses, if he existed, by whomever, if they exist.

taras said:
The power of the ark comes from the 'fact' that it was basically a large battery, made from zinc plates with mercury and stuff (I don't "do" chemistry) so whenever someone touched it it got grounded and gave them a rather deathly blow.
So, could be used for arc-welding then?

Get my coat? I didn't even stop to take it off.

Steve.

taras said:
The power of the ark comes from the 'fact' that it was basically a large battery, made from zinc plates with mercury and stuff...
Good discussion about this particular topic in Ancient Iraqi Batteries.

Aww crap, I said the "I" word..this'll be merged into the aftermath thread by the morning...here we go again :rolleyes:

What the hell?

You guys have all got different stories about it.

I thought the ark of the covenant was the original group of tablets with the commandments written on them... A separate thing from the holy grail... ...... ............ ...........?

You documentary information-wielding loons have cast confusion on me mind.

:confused:

ReverendGoretex said:
You documentary information-wielding loons have cast confusion on me mind.

:confused:
This is, in fact, our chief function. :D

Originally posted by taras
I've seen documentaries about the Ark so I feel qualified to make a statement.

The ark is in a catholic church in Ethiopia, into which very few people are allowed. It is being guarded by a sect of nuns.

Two words: orgone accumulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
taras said:
This page also says: "archaeology is not a treasure hunt and the Bible does not need the recovered Ark to be proved accurate," though... :rolleyes:

It is, and it does. :D

Jarmaniac said:
Two words: orgone accumulator.

That would tie in with it being guarded by the sect of Ethiopian nuns - their asexual lifestyle may in some way protect them. If, perhaps, the ark radiates 'pure love' in some sense then perhaps this is akin to orgone but what are we to make of the huge 'deathly blow' it gives those who are not grounded? Orgasmic overload? :D

No one person planted would be guaranteed to get through on the phone lines and subsequently on air.

Quite the opposite.

Back in 1997 I did some work with Company magazine re my experiences with a charismatic church/cult, they arranged several radio interviews (and a GMTV slot which I turned down) one of which was with Talk Radio.

When I rang up at the appointed time, I was queued while the interviewer went through several callers in a truly quick fire style, then I was pretty much thrown in, asked a couple of questions and thrown out again, never with any indication to listeners that I was anything other than another random caller, when in reality it had been planned several weeks in advance.

IMO the whole thing was set up for cheap thrills rather than any pretense at serious discussion, and with hindsight I would not have had anything to do with Talk Radio.

Anyhow, now that we know that the AotC is under the heelstone at Stonehenge I guess we can all go home....

The Lost Ark

Did anyone else see Richard & Judy on Ch4 tonight (Wed Oct 22nd 2003)? There was a man and a woman talking about the Ark Of The Covenant, and what it is. What I heard of it was quite interesting, expecially the bit about making dust out of molten gold and something (didn't quite catch that bit) to form superconducting somethingorother

Yeah, the Ark was a Superconducter...it levitated...was used as a weapon of mass destruction...Umm,. it was all a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. Richard & Judy looked pretty flummoxed, too.:confused:

Some people should remember that the Bible isn't a documentary ;)

Back