• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Lost Perfume Of The Muskflower

BS3

Abominable Showman
This is a nice little botanical 'mystery' that I remember reading about years ago, and which was well known in the 1930s.

In the early 19th century the seed of a species of mimulus was collected in British Columbia by the botanist David Douglas. A small, unremarkable looking yellow flower, it was described and named moschatus in 1828 by John Lindley from seed grown in England. Lindley described the plant as having an extremely strong sweet musky scent and it went on to become hugely popular in Victorian England, with pots of "muskflower" kept on every cottage windowsill (as well as smelling nice, it was supposed to repel flies).

Anyway, the story goes that in 1912, or 1913, or 1914, or 1916 (different dates are given), it was suddenly realised that the muskflower had completely lost its scent. Various people wrote about it in horticultural journals, but it seemed that no scented plants could be found anywhere in the country. Even more strangely, when Sir Arthur Hill, director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, attempted to find out whether scented plants could be found in British Columbia, or in New Zealand where it had been introduced, he was told that no scented plants could be found there either, and even plants growing in the wild were unscented too. It seemed that all plants across the world had inexplicably lost their fragrance at the same time, and this is how you will find the story told in old gardening books.

There were a lot of attempts to explain why this might have happened. In an ascending Fortean order, some of these included:

- That the perfume was the result of some kind of disease or parasite that had been eradicated
- That people had lost the ability to smell it
- That the loss of smell was caused by new-fangled radio waves (a sort of equivalent of the 5G thing perhaps)
- That it was something to do with the War

In reality, although still unexplained, there are a couple of things that might explain it. It was realised that the botanist who originally collected the plant hadn't mentioned a smell, so it might have been the case that most wild plants were already unscented - English plants just happened to have been descended from an unusually scented individual. If at a later date, someone had imported additional seeds from Canada, the gene for a strong scent might have quickly become bred out.

Another possibility was that in 1877, an amateur gardener in Leicester had managed to cross the muskflower with a close relative, mimulus luteus. The plant had larger, more attractive flowers but little scent and became a popular bedding plant for a few years in the 1880s under the name "Harrison's Musk". Was it possible that Harrison's Musk had, before fading into obscurity, sneakily hybridized with the rest of the population?

This plant has been reclassified and renamed ...
Erythranthe moschata is a species of monkeyflower known by the common names muskflower, musk monkeyflower, and formerly as the common musk, eyebright and musk plant. It was formerly known as Mimulus moschatus

As you already noted, it's uncertain whether the strong scent was a universal feature to begin with. It's also uncertain whether or when strong-scented specimens disappeared entirely.
David Douglas first described the species and in 1826 near Fort Vancouver collected seed from which the first examples in England were raised; it is notable that he made no reference to a strong musk scent in his field notes. Moreover, there are references as early as 1917 to plants in the wild having a wide range of characteristics between scentless and strongly scented, with the latter being "very much the exception". During the 1920s and 1930s, at the height of botanists' interest in the 'lost scent' phenomenon, there were several reports of strongly-scented moschatus specimens being discovered in the wild, such as in 1931 on Texada Island, British Columbia.

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythranthe_moschata

This plant has been reclassified and renamed ...

As you already noted, it's uncertain whether the strong scent was a universal feature to begin with. It's also uncertain whether or when strong-scented specimens disappeared entirely.

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythranthe_moschata

Interesting stuff.

I remember seeing the story repeated quite often in gardening books printed between, I guess, the 1940s and 1980s but it's not been repeated so much recently. I guess that there is no one living now who remembers what the 'original' version actually smelt like.

As I recall being quite interested in the appearance, and the subsequent disappearance of the famed perfume 'Musk' many year ago when I was in my teens.
From what I remember, the delicate fragrance disappeared all because of the disappearance of a certain Moth - or rather the caterpillar thereof, and the particular plants were stopped in their tracks because the pollinator was no longer around. . .

As I say, it's from memory, but I think I still have a few pages somewhere which explains it.

As I recall being quite interested in the appearance, and the subsequent disappearance of the famed perfume 'Musk' many year ago when I was in my teens.
From what I remember, the delicate fragrance disappeared all because of the disappearance of a certain Moth - or rather the caterpillar thereof, and the particular plants were stopped in their tracks because the pollinator was no longer around. . .

As I say, it's from memory, but I think I still have a few pages somewhere which explains it.

Sounds like an interesting theory - I hadn't seen that one myself although I have seen it mentioned some people believed the disappearance of the perfume was related to bees in some way.

Looking around for discussion of the loss of scent, I managed to find a few stories about what musk was supposed to have smelt like, and unusual characteristics of the smell. One was that the scent could be "caught" quite strongly from some distance away, but then not smelt again for a while. Like a lot of flower scents it was much stronger in the evening and after rain. Another was that if comparing two adjacent plants, one could be strongly scented and the other not, and then a short while later the situation would be reversed. I've no idea whether this is the case with other flower scents too - I had a terrible sense of smell even pre Covid.

Wouldn't the absence of a pollinator have resulted in a lack of subsequent specimens entirely, instead of scentless flowers? Or is the idea that , since there are scented and non-scented subspecies, that the scented one died out via lack of pollination but the unscented ones had a pollinator that did still exist? (and if so, why would a pollinator for that not interact with the smelly ones?)

I suppose that was the theory, but I'm not sure there was any suggestion that the unscented and scented plants were different subspecies, only that the scented version was a particular 'sport' which might not necessarily breed true from seed and which was usually obtained vegetatively, i.e. from cuttings.

I suppose some plants in England could still have been grown from seed, and this might not have been a problem if the only other plants available as pollinators were all scented too. However if other, less scented, plants were introduced into the country that could quickly change.

Back