• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Lost Room

faith2faith

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just saw the first episode of a SciFi miniseries called "The Lost Room." The guy from "Six Feet Under" plays the starring role as a detective who finds a motel room key that opens the door to another dimension. It's a very exciting show and quite promising for the rest of it. So Americans, watch the other parts -- it's great!

Definitely a good show with an original paranormal idea. I can't recall anyone using a similar one before. The first episode was very intriguing and I hope they only get better and it doesn't fizzle out at the end. I think it would be interesting if they never totally explain what the room is all about but leave us guessing a little at the end.
8)

I was skeptical @ first. I don't think the characters are written altoghter well. However, pacing improved as the 1st episode progressed ... enough that I'll watch at least tonight's episode.
I don't know how original the topic is though. It appears quite reminiscent of The Twilight Zone. Anyone know - did TZ ever tackle this topic or am I just thinking TZ since the subject matter would lend itself beautifully to a TZ episode?
Oh, & is it me or does the kid (it's Dakota Fanning's sister, right?) look a hell of a lot like Drew Barrymore circa Firestarter?

Grim,
I watched all of the old b&w Twilight Zone episodes many times having grown up with it as a kid when they were first run on tv. They never had an episode about a 'lost room' with power objects though the feel of the show is definitely similar.
There was a show on tv called Friday the 13th (no relation to the movies) that was about 'cursed objects' but it had nothing to do with a lost room and was about the devil cursing these antiques from an antique shop owned by a satanist that brought misfortune to those who tried to use them.

Part 2 was on last night......the last part tonight. I think it's been good so far and I'm curious to see how they will explain the origin of the room and it's objects.

Reminded me of "Another Roadside Picnic." Quite enjoyed the show so far.

Hmmm, it must have just been the "feel" then. It does feel TZ-ish, doesn't it?
BTW, I think the love angle between the main character & Marguilles' character is rather unneccessary & unfounded. I haven't a clue what the point was there. For me, it's now sliding down to a 2 of 4 stars, but I'll watch the finale tonight anyhow. :)
Does anyone know, is this miniseries based on a book? I keep watching this having the feeling it would make a much greater book ... maybe because the characters are so shallow in terms of development. It comes off to me like a moderate to poor adaptation, but maybe that's just me being the picky gal I am. ;)

I'm not aware of any book;
but as to the love interest, I agree that it was unnecessary. Nevertheless I've enjoyed it so far.
BTW, 'The Dresden Files' start on Jan 21 on the Sci-Fi Channel. I have read the first 5 books in the series. Very entertaining mixture of the occult with detectives and cops.

Well..I watched the final episode and it had a decent ending and as expected they never really explained how the room and reality became distorted but they left it open for a sequel at the very end.

dr_wu said:
Well..I watched the final episode and it had a decent ending and as expected they never really explained how the room and reality became distorted but they left it open for a sequel at the very end.

Yeah, I wish the ending would have been tied up a bit nicer rather than going for the cheap "will we or won't we do a sequel" ending. :roll: Ick. I think 2 out of 4 is a fair rating for that miniseries. It did remind me why I very rarely watch Sci-Fi channel anymore. Most of it is mediocre @ best.
I must say I have been watching the new Dr. Who though ... but I'm a year behind watching it on BBC America. :)

dr_wu said:

I didn't think it had a decent ending: it just stopped, as if the writers ran out of ideas and never really had a place to go. On a scale of 1 to 10, this one hits the negative numbers.

I watched with a little trepidation because despite the good Word of Mouth here the Garudian's preview was pretty dismissive suggesting Mr 6 Feet Under was in trouble if he was starring in this.

However, I shouldn't have been worried as I really enjoyed it. What I thought was weird was how quickly you started thinking of the Objects as something special despite being awfully mundane. Watch out for The Pen!! How is he going to get The Clock. That kind of thing.

Hopefully the more positive interpreations of the ending will chime with my own as, of all the pst-Lost shows, this is really the only one I've seen that had a lot of promise (and to be honest explaining things would spoil it - a lot of the drama is clearly through the Objects and the people after them and the origin of the room is slightly secondary).

So fingers crossed and I'll be looking forward to this one :)

We watched it, and it was OK, but I kept thinking, now, he needs to find the chicken and drop it down the chimney to cook it so he can give it to the witch so she'll let him pass... ;)

I forgot to post after watching the last oen but I enjoyed them all and think it ended neatly enough to provide some kind of closure but leave it open enough for the cocnept to be picked up for a full series.

Fingers crossed.

We enjoyed it too. Slightly confusing at the end. I'm assuming the bloke with the beard became the prime object, because he was in possession of the photo? :?

beakboo said:
We enjoyed it too. Slightly confusing at the end. I'm assuming the bloke with the beard became the prime object, because he was in possession of the photo? :?

He became an Object (there were claims there was no Prime Object) by killing the previous guy in the room and "The Principle of Conservation of Objects" meant that whatever property they have (Objectiness? Objectivity?) jumped to the lead character.

The implication seems to be that something went badly wrong with reality. The room popped out of our reality (turning everything in the Room into Objects). The Room then exists in various other realities and when you open the door you somehow access that reality, which is how his daughter went missing.

There seems to be plenty of potential for extra weirdness (and they probably find there is a Prime Object - the Bog Roll or some such) so I hope it gets picked up.

Yup. I noticed that there was a list of Objects which included shoes, socks and so on, implying that all the things you'd find in a motel room were transformed into Objects.

All of them. Hmmm.

Could be much, much worse.

I'm only saying. It could be much worse.

Rewatched this excellent series recently. It's really original. What a shame there are no plans for a sequel.

When Techy annoys me I still pick up scissors and twirl them at him.

I enjoyed that series too. They need to revive it!

I loved that series but seemed the only one amongst friends to have caught it. I gave 4 copies of the DVD away, but only my nephew really took to it and he was miffed because even before it ended he knew a sequel had not been commissioned.

Back