The Luck Of The Devil

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
A few years ago my sister had an unexpected windfall from a long forgotten insurance policy - nearly £4,000 . Next day her Mother-in-law's boiler exploded. I think Sis may got some change out of that (and the MiL's house eventually). Similarly my brother took out an insurance policy over 20 years ago, but didn't keep up the payments as he developed ME and had to give up work. The insurance company didn't cancel the policy and said they'd use any bonus pay-outs to fund the subscriptions. Brother assumed all the money had long run out and forgot about it. Until last month when the company finally tracked him down through two former addresses. The policy had matured and was worth several thousands. Last week his car, the all-important means of independence, packed up.
As for me, I got a letter from the Bank today, there was an error in the exchange rate on international transactions on my Mother's account between 2010-2014. She died in 2016 but as executor of her estate I got a cheque for £1.68.
I'm spending that pronto before my siblings find out.

Fanari_Lloyd

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
It’s happened to me twice. Not massive amounts but enough 1) to get a taxi when I was stranded by someone who’d taken money from my purse when I was out and 2) When I used to suffer chronically painful IBS and he only thing that helped was Pepto Bismol. Both times I just found note money on the pavement with no-one nearby it who might have dropped it. I’m not generally lucky but those times, I was.

Last edited by a moderator:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A few years ago my sister had an unexpected windfall from a long forgotten insurance policy - nearly £4,000 . Next day her Mother-in-law's boiler exploded. I think Sis may got some change out of that (and the MiL's house eventually). Similarly my brother took out an insurance policy over 20 years ago, but didn't keep up the payments as he developed ME and had to give up work. The insurance company didn't cancel the policy and said they'd use any bonus pay-outs to fund the subscriptions. Brother assumed all the money had long run out and forgot about it. Until last month when the company finally tracked him down through two former addresses. The policy had matured and was worth several thousands. Last week his car, the all-important means of independence, packed up.
As for me, I got a letter from the Bank today, there was an error in the exchange rate on international transactions on my Mother's account between 2010-2014. She died in 2016 but as executor of her estate I got a cheque for £1.68.
I'm spending that pronto before my siblings find out.
The last cheque I received was for 10p, the one before that was for 3p but I forgot to bank it. Many years ago after a share issue I had loads of shares in the company I worked for but later sold all but a few quids' worth, so I'd carry on getting the annual statement etc. And these are the dividend payments! Retirement does not backon...

Draheste

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
When I was 7, in the mid 70's we stayed for a month at a kid's holiday camp, on the sea side and with my older sister. After lunch in the canteen, a kiosk outside was selling ice creams at a cheap price. Around it, the ground was covered in sand. After a week or so, I spent all of my pocket money and my sister didn't want to give me more of hers. But, I discovered that if I was sifting the sand around the kiosk, there was always one franc or 50 centimes, which was enough for an ice cream. It happened quite frequently, as other kids must have dropped their change and were not bothered to look for it in the sand.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
When I was 7, in the mid 70's we stayed for a month at a kid's holiday camp, on the sea side and with my older sister. After lunch in the canteen, a kiosk outside was selling ice creams at a cheap price. Around it, the ground was covered in sand. After a week or so, I spent all of my pocket money and my sister didn't want to give me more of hers. But, I discovered that if I was sifting the sand around the kiosk, there was always one franc or 50 centimes, which was enough for an ice cream. It happened quite frequently, as other kids must have dropped their change and were not bothered to look for it in the sand.
My younger brothers used to inspect the ground around filling stations in the hope of pecuniary gain.
It seemed men stuff cash notes in their pockets with their keys after paying for fuel and then pull the notes out with the keys when they drove away.

The brothers were never short of pocket money!

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
At the turn of the year i had applied for an Irish passport. Because of Covid and lockdowns etc its been resting in the system ever since. This morning at 9.15am I received an email from them saying there was a problem. My basic birth certificate wasn't sufficient. They needed the long form one, like Barack Obama. They provided the link to order one, so i did so straight away. The cost to get it sent priority was £20. Tsk and tut.

I then went out to Asda.

When i got home around 11.30 the postman was coming along the street.

There was a letter from Lloyds Bank. I'm not with Lloyds Bank. I almost threw it away after opening it. Just read it properly. A bank account in my name ive not touched in 15 years. They're going to close it. What do i want them to do with the cash still in it. £21......