• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Rich D Hall has just released a very interesting (but rather long) interview with a statement analyst. Unfortunately he analysed an interview they did years later which makes me wonder how accurate it still is but it is still very interesting to hear all about how people reveal themselves in their language.
It's a fascinating topic all by itself, the world of discourse analysis - even if it not done to the level on minutiae some psychologist do, it can be very revealing.

I suspect that when we feel something is a bit off, it's often the nature of the language used that causes that feeling. It's not quite right.

As for this case, I've always been slightly suspicious. In the first instance they left their children alone in an unlocked apartment. That's iffy, negligent at best. As a parent of three, I'd never have done that.

There's way too much mystification by the McCanns for it to be totally au fait in my eyes, plus they're very very voracious with any story that runs counter to their narrative. They appear more concerned with the narrative than the fate of their child at first glance.

Plus, there's been a really good attempt to paint the Portuguese police as a bit rubbish, which is simply playing to easy idea that 'foreigners' simply are not as good as us. Portugal is not a third world country with dodgy police.

I agree with Mr. Hyatt, I think he's on the money.

I was already aware, partly through the book published by the investigating officer at the case, previous whispers that I still don't want to believe are true and my gut hopes that they aren't .. that Maddeline Mccann's parents were directly responsible for her disappearing and/or her murder ...

http://sonarz.com/mccanns-murder-madeline/

If that article is true, it's pretty damning, but I'm not surprised.

It's a fascinating topic all by itself, the world of discourse analysis - even if it not done to the level on minutiae some psychologist do, it can be very revealing.

I suspect that when we feel something is a bit off, it's often the nature of the language used that causes that feeling. It's not quite right.

As for this case, I've always been slightly suspicious. In the first instance they left their children alone in an unlocked apartment. That's iffy, negligent at best. As a parent of three, I'd never have done that.

There's way too much mystification by the McCanns for it to be totally au fait in my eyes, plus they're very very voracious with any story that runs counter to their narrative. They appear more concerned with the narrative than the fate of their child at first glance.

Plus, there's been a really good attempt to paint the Portuguese police as a bit rubbish, which is simply playing to easy idea that 'foreigners' simply are not as good as us. Portugal is not a third world country with dodgy police.

If that article is true, it's pretty damning, but I'm not surprised.

Indeed.

Given the amount of resources that British Police Forces have put into the case its now time that they took a look at the McCanns as potential suspects.

Its unheard of for parents not to be investigated in such cases, even just for the purposes of eliminating them as suspects.

Last edited:
In the first instance they left their children alone in an unlocked apartment. That's iffy, negligent at best. As a parent of three, I'd never have done that.

If we'd done that we'd be locked up for a start. Even if we'd ever in a million years vaguely contemplate it. It was wrong of them to leave the children alone.

If we'd done that we'd be locked up for a start. Even if we'd ever in a million years vaguely contemplate it. It was wrong of them to leave the children alone.
Watch the video interview through all three sections and tell me what you think then.

Watch the video interview through all three sections and tell me what you think then.

I think I've watched everything there is to see online about Madeleine McCann and her family, and read everything too, including Kate's book. There's nothing new to learn.

I think I've watched everything there is to see online about Madeleine McCann and her family, and read everything too, including Kate's book. There's nothing new to learn.
I'd not seen them, I was shocked.

PS who's Kate, what book?

They appear more concerned with the narrative than the fate of their child at first glance.
This was one of the things picked up on. They show little or no concern for what the abducted child is going through. When they referred to her at all, it was all in the past tense. This suggested there was no need for it - they know Madeleine is beyond concern.

I would be very interested to know the psychology behind the McCann's behaviour, assuming that they know more than they are letting on. Keeping drawing attention to it sounds like a high risk strategy to me.

I see today more funds have been granted to the police to follow up another line on the child trafficking stolen to order theory... 95k if I recall.

Insane scenario when you think how many children go missing each year. Just what is it that is protecting them from questions being asked publicly about the enormous amount of funds and efforts being put into this case...?

Madeleine McCann cops chasing 'important new lead' as investigation reaches "last roll of the dice"
Operation Grange has been given extra money to continue until April following a tip that European traffickers took pictures of the three-year-old before she was snatched
By Richard Wheatstone
09:29, 4 DEC 2016 Updated13:08, 4 DEC 2016

Detectives are chasing a tip Madeleine McCann was snatched by European traffickers in a "last roll of the dice" in their bid to find her alive.
Operation Grange has been given extra funding to continue until April following information traffickers were seen taking pictures of the three-year-old on a beach before she was snatched.
The new line of inquiry is understood to have been taken seriously enough for the probe to be extended by six months until April.
But a senior source told The Sun the new lead looks to be "the last roll of the dice" in their hunt.

Maddie was on holiday in Praia du Luz in Portugal's Algarve when she was snatched from her bed in her family's apartment in 2007.
The theory was first explored nine years ago by private detectives working for the family following reports a gang was seen looking at children on the beach and taking pictures.

But the line of enquiry has been given further credence by Met detectives following a tip a Belgian paedophile ring had placed an order for a "young girl" just three days before Madeleine vanished.
Portugal is said to have been attractive to traffickers from Europe and North Africa because of the ease of which children could be taken out of the country.

Operation Grange was launched in May 2011 after the Portuguese authorities closed down their inquiry.
The investigation was scaled down in October and funding will be reviewed again in April.

The McCann family and the Met Police declined to comment on the investigation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-probe-chasing-important-9389490

Tenuous link at best, if that is all the evidence there is to connect the Belgian order to her disappearance.

How do they know it was traffickers taking photographs ? .. were they all wearing T Shirts with 'TRAFFICKERS' written on them ? .. the first thing most people do on holiday at the seaside is to take photographs of the sea, I see that every day where I live.

Rich D Hall has just released a very interesting (but rather long) interview with a statement analyst. Unfortunately he analysed an interview they did years later which makes me wonder how accurate it still is but it is still very interesting to hear all about how people reveal themselves in their language.
I watched the whole thing last night. It was very interesting, despite Rich Hall having a bit of an uneasy screen presence and clearly pushing his own version of events to the fore. Parts of it seemed very tenuous but the bit with the apparent "hidden confession" immediately struck me as being right on the money. The McCanns certainly both have an odd manner and way of speaking.

I watched the whole thing last night. It was very interesting, despite Rich Hall having a bit of an uneasy screen presence and clearly pushing his own version of events to the fore. Parts of it seemed very tenuous but the bit with the apparent "hidden confession" immediately struck me as being right on the money. The McCanns certainly both have an odd manner and way of speaking.
We noticed that, he is normally a pretty good interviewer. We wondered if it was self-consciousness because he was talking to someone who can analyse your every word and see hidden meaning!

For a long time I thought I was the only person on the planet that had doubts about this.

I do remember, right at the beginning, thinking 'they don't seem very bothered'.
And they have always given me the impression they knew something they were not saying.

Maybe one day we will find out.

INT21

I've spent some time digging into this after reading a bit of his blog and 'training' course adverting. At first glance Peter Hyatt seems to be quite on the level.

I've found several references to him that look like this:

"The truth is Hyatt is a complete fraud. He does not have a degree in statement analysis. Actually, his degree is in Bible Studies. He teaches guitar to children ages 5-12 and has a very respectable job of investigating complaints regarding the mistreatment of disabled people. He does not work at the "Laboratory for Statement Analysis for Scientific Interrogations" in Maine as he claimed. In fact, there is no such laboratory in the state of Maine."
(http://injusticeinperugia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/truth-behind-hate-campaign-against.html)

I cannot, for the life of me, pin down whether he's real or a huckster as quite a few allege. He's certainly run a second blog under an assumed name, why would you do that?

I also contacted him via his own website seeking some idea of the 'training support' (using a new gmail address for the purpose) and got an instant reply from a different email address that switched seamlessly into hard sell in two sentences. For someone selling statement analysis there were a few to many grammatical errors for me...so I never replied.

In summary I think the analysis of the McCann interview is reasonably good, but it's post hoc, barely better than common sense (although compellingly presented) and in a situation where there is already a well established body of work doubting their story and evidence. I still think their story stinks, but this analysis isn't quite so incisive as one might first think and I'm not as taken with it as I rushed in to say earlier...:oops:

You can look at discourse analysis and see parallels with what PH is doing, but he's NOT qualified as far as I can tell and neither does he work for any official body, at least the blogo-sphere doesn't think so. Some of the works referenced in statement analysis do exist, and I'll look at those another time, e.g.

Verification and Implementation of Language-Based Deception Indicators in Civil and Criminal Narratives
(Bachenko, Fitzpatrick & Schonwetter 2008) [not immediately obvious if this was in a peer reviewed journal tho']

So...I think PH is probably a huckster. There's too many warning signs, not least of which is that he has no formal qualifications that I can find. I'm tempted to ask, using my 'special' email for a reference I can contact...but ICBA.

If anyone knows different feel free to pile in and tell me so.

In summary I think the analysis of the McCann interview is reasonably good, but it's post hoc, barely better than common sense (although compellingly presented) and in a situation where there is already a well established body of work doubting their story and evidence. I still think their story stinks, but this analysis isn't quite so incisive as one might first think and I'm not as taken with it as I rushed in to say earlier...:oops:
Nice detective work Coal. I must admit, Rich has a history of interviewing people with made-up qualifications* and I was a bit suspicious at the start but then got drawn in by what he was saying. I would be interested to find out more about proper statement analysis though.

*One recent one was a guy who "writes reports for such and such a police force". As far as I could tell, all that meant was he sits at home typing up a load of nonsense (probably in a green font) and sends it to the hapless plods who probably instantly file it in the recycling bin. But he made it sound very official.

Nice detective work Coal. I must admit, Rich has a history of interviewing people with made-up qualifications* and I was a bit suspicious at the start but then got drawn in by what he was saying. I would be interested to find out more about proper statement analysis though.

*One recent one was a guy who "writes reports for such and such a police force". As far as I could tell, all that meant was he sits at home typing up a load of nonsense (probably in a green font) and sends it to the hapless plods who probably instantly file it in the recycling bin. But he made it sound very official.
I've tracked down two of his 'testimonial" peoples (easy bit) and will be emailing them later to see what happens (the hard bit). I'll let everyone know what happens.

Do you use email tracking? I've developed a certain fondness for it since things went south with former employer, very handy to see not just if your email ever gets opened but also to get some idea who/where it gets forwarded on to.

I've tracked down two of his 'testimonial" peoples (easy bit) and will be emailing them later to see what happens (the hard bit). I'll let everyone know what happens.
I've sent a couple off to what appear to be bona fide police departments in Mr. Hyatt's testimonials.

Do you use email tracking? I've developed a certain fondness for it since things went south with former employer, very handy to see not just if your email ever gets opened but also to get some idea who/where it gets forwarded on to.
No, but I might consdier it, thanks for the tip.

I've since lost a good few hours watching Rich Hall's other films about the McCann case. Some of his points are very compelling but others get lost in a byzantine complexity of who-works-for-who. It's clear that many of the statements made by witnesses are completely at odds with each other and with the physical evidence such as the photos and the creche records. The puported timeline of events makes no sense. I now don't believe there was an abduction but am none the wiser as to what actually happened. As to why the government got involved at such a high level and so quickly I couldn't even begin to guess...

I think if some omnipotent deity offered me the chance to find out the actual solution to just one Fortean mystery or event then it would be this one.

For gods sake why doesn't someone just Nick them inject a truth drug into them to get them talk and tell the truth and put an end to this wild goose chase.
Yeah, I'd do that if I was in charge!

The idea that they're not telling the truth seems to be a conspiracy theory. Just because they are professional people and don't talk the same way as most oiks do does not necessarily mean they have something to hide. (Or they may have something to hide, but something not relevent to their daughter's disappearance.)

The idea that they're not telling the truth seems to be a conspiracy theory. Just because they are professional people and don't talk the same way as most oiks do does not necessarily mean they have something to hide. (Or they may have something to hide, but something not relevent to their daughter's disappearance.)
Sorry but they do have something to hide and the police have had no solid leads.

What about the cadaverine traces? Did that ever get explained?

What about the cadaverine traces? Did that ever get explained?
I don't remember what they were, and I don't intend to waste my time looking it up.
This to me is (to quote another well-known MB member) just 'Whataboutery'!

Two police forces and assorted private investigators have been on this case for years, but no real progress has been made. I very much doubt that Message Board warriors, with only the skimpiest of real evidence, will resolve this case.

Search dogs found cadaverine at the bottom of the stairs of the residence, in the trunk of the McCann car and on the doll that was still in Mrs McCann's possession. There seems to be fairly few scenarios which could explain that.

Back