• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

The Madeleine McCann Disappearance

Lobeydosser

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Just came across this - apologies if it's been linked previously and who knows if he is as good as he "claims", but, it's interesting in a grisly fashion.
The McCann's: Embedded Confessions - Statement Analyst Peter Hyatt

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Just came across this - apologies if it's been linked previously and who knows if he is as good as he "claims", but, it's interesting in a grisly fashion...
Beyond that which is based on actual science I lost any faith in stuff like this a long time ago. The words 'trained' and 'trained professional' are bandied around a lot, especially in the US - but it's quite often pretty hard to find what that training is based on, whether the theories involved are based on peer-reviewed research, what the status is of the institutions handing out the 'qualifications', and if indeed there even are any. People just have to put the word 'forensic' and/or 'professional' in the mix, and everyone thinks it's science. Personally, I don't believe a word of it.

Last edited:

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
It has and Coal did a wee bit of investigation into Peter Hyatt. It was very interesting. I've put the link to this conversation below, it is worth a read but basically @Spookdaddy is correct...
A decent defence lawyer would chew this guy up and spit him out in minutes. Unfortunately the majority of US defendants can't afford one. It truly frightens me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A decent defence lawyer would chew this guy up and spit him out in minutes. Unfortunately the majority of US defendants can't afford one. It truly frightens me.
Yup, there's a TV series I sometimes watch about how criminal give themselves away with involuntary gestures and micro-expressions. As far as I'm concerned it's bullshit.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Yup, there's a TV series I sometimes watch about how criminal give themselves away with involuntary gestures and micro-expressions. As far as I'm concerned it's bullshit.
I have no doubt that some individuals are very good at reading people in certain situations - based on experience, and maybe even a little bit of instinct - but I suspect these people are reacting to a whole host of tiny little signals, some of which they are not even aware of themselves, and which all have to be considered in relation to each other, the circumstances, and the environment, rather than a set of prescribed 'tells'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have no doubt that some individuals are very good at reading people in certain situations - based on experience, and maybe even a little bit of instinct - but I suspect these people are reacting to a whole host of tiny little signals, some of which they are not even aware of themselves, and which all have to be considered in relation to each other, the circumstances, and the environment, rather than a set of prescribed 'tells'.
Yup. As any seasoned poker player will tell you, everyone has their own 'tells'. There are no universal ones, especially among people with a strong interest in hiding things!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Yup. As any seasoned poker player will tell you, everyone has their own 'tells'. There are no universal ones, especially among people with a strong interest in hiding things!
I really enjoy a game of poker, and am moderately not all that terrible. When you've played someone a lot you might get familiar enough with them to pick up on the odd tiny signal, but anyone who bases their play on YouTube videos of supposed FBI body language experts is going to lose their entire bankroll in minutes flat.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I really enjoy a game of poker, and am moderately not all that terrible. When you've played someone a lot you might get familiar enough with them to pick up on the odd tiny signal, but anyone who bases their play on YouTube videos of supposed FBI body language experts is going to lose their entire bankroll in minutes flat.
That was one thing that bugged me about Star Trek TNG. You often saw the senior crew playing poker, but why would they let Deanna Troi play, when she had the Betazoid ability to read people's inner emotions and what about Data? Not only had he no emotions, but he had a computational positronic brain fully capable of counting cards.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That was one thing that bugged me about Star Trek TNG. You often saw the senior crew playing poker, but why would they let Deanna Troi play, when she had the Betazoid ability to read people's inner emotions and what about Data? Not only had he no emotions, but he had a computational positronic brain fully capable of counting cards.
You're overthinking again! :evillaugh:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I saw an episode of ST:TOS the other day, in which Kirk beat Spock at 3D chess.
Seriously?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
a computational positronic brain fully capable of counting cards.
I'd been playing poker very successfully for over a decade before I found out most other people couldn't count the cards or work out the possibilities of a card being in a particular place.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Something about the McCanns case on ITV tonight Tues 28th at 10:45 on ITV.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently German police are currently digging up the garden of the new suspect.

Mrs Migs

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
If it’s the same one I saw the other night focussing on the new suspect, it makes for very uncomfortable viewing. I sincerely hope she didn’t fall into his hands.

Reactions: RaM

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
OMG they have cellars? In Germany?? Whatever next.

I don't mean to sound grotesque but from my limited experience of watching sordid true crime tv, people who abduct small children for horrible purposes tend to kill them within hours. They don't generally go on trips across continents with them. God I wouldn't particularly want to cross a continent with a toddler, and apart from not being especially fond of screaming tired children, I'm quite a decent human being I think.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Yeah it was under a 'summer house' apparently, but the house was already torn down. Cellar or foundations, who knows. I just meant to imply the press are desperate to report something. But they don't know anything about what the police have found. (Obviously, he might well have concealed a murdered victim there, and that is horrible of course, if that turns out to be what's happened). So we get a story that they've found a cellar. And we're supposed to read between the lines and think horrible things - because that still sells papers even though they're not reporting anything really.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Yeah it was under a 'summer house' apparently, but the house was already torn down. Cellar or foundations, who knows. I just meant to imply the press are desperate to report something. But they don't know anything about what the police have found. (Obviously, he might well have concealed a murdered victim there, and that is horrible of course, if that turns out to be what's happened). So we get a story that they've found a cellar. And we're supposed to read between the lines and think horrible things - because that still sells papers even though they're not reporting anything really.
See Gordonrutter's post above.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
OMG they have cellars? In Germany?? Whatever next.

I don't mean to sound grotesque but from my limited experience of watching sordid true crime tv, people who abduct small children for horrible purposes tend to kill them within hours. They don't generally go on trips across continents with them. God I wouldn't particularly want to cross a continent with a toddler, and apart from not being especially fond of screaming tired children, I'm quite a decent human being I think.
I'm guessing you don't have children?

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the article linked below it states Bruckner's a suspect in the disappearance of a German six year old girl, had web-chatted with someone about... well, you can read it yourself. It's not nice, but as far as I can see they only have evidence of intent. He comes across as the sort of man who would use a cellar and as far as sexual abuse of children, he has form. It would be really great if they find absolutely nothing in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-being-investigated-over-second-missing-girl

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
In the article linked below it states Bruckner's a suspect in the disappearance of a German six year old girl, had web-chatted with someone about... well, you can read it yourself. It's not nice, but as far as I can see they only have evidence of intent. He comes across as the sort of man who would use a cellar and as far as sexual abuse of children, he has form. It would be really great if they find absolutely nothing in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-being-investigated-over-second-missing-girl
Sounds like they may have tracked down a serial killer.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Interesting that the article mentions that in April last year, Amaral (the initial detective in the case) said "that a “German paedophile who is in prison right now” was “probably going to be the scapegoat” in the case. "

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Interesting that the article mentions that in April last year, Amaral (the initial detective in the case) said "that a “German paedophile who is in prison right now” was “probably going to be the scapegoat” in the case. "
I had an idea they'd use a scapegoat to close down the case.