• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The scent is cadaverine. It comes from dead bodies, not patients.

So do I but I do wounder if the dogs would still be able to detect it after several weeks and many washings,
even after all that could the dogs be indicating on body's and blood they came into contact with in the
wile at work weeks ago in the UK?
It seems unlikely to me but if it was possible then it could explain the dog's reaction.

I really don't know what to make of the case. To be responsible for the death of your own child and go on TV to say they have been taken, takes some serious front. Even a real psychopath would find that difficult{however one of the ten jobs for Psychopaths is a surgeon} To be part of a ring that passes your daughter onto paedos takes serious mental disorder. If you were going to stage that, why go on holiday to do that?I think the Mc Canns were guilty of stupidity, naievity and ignorance but not murder. The problem is, they are so unlikeable, especially Gerry. We want them to be guilty.

My understanding is that they left their children in a hotel room, and were in the restaurant of the same hotel, and were checking on the children periodically. This is not ideal, but it is no worse than many many families.

This summer, there will be countless well off families where the kids are in bed at one end of the house, and the parents are out of earshot, maybe outdoors on the patio, sharing a bottle of wine. Parents out of earshot drinking socially, on the same premises as the kids, and within range to go and check on them from time to time — pretty much as the McCanns were on that night.

When I was between 8 and 10, I was regularly left in the evenings to look after a toddler and baby who were both asleep in bed, while my parents were at the pub a mile's walk away. That was more of a gamble than the McCanns took. My parents were luckier.

Assuming that the McCanns were not guilty of causing the death, then their actions as parents on that night were not as extraordinary as many people portray them to be. It's very easy to be judgemental about the isolated case where the unthinkable happens.

They were in a restaurant several hundred metres away. Not at all the same as just being out of earshot. Babysitting facilities were available at the hotel but the McCanns didn't avail of them, nor did their friends. Thrifty middle class types They preferred to spend their money on wine.

When my kids were small I used regularly check on them if they were sleeping and I was in the garden. I can' imagine leaving them, going to a neighbours house and going back to check on them, let alone being across the street while staying in a foreign country.

Thrifty middle class types
I'm sorry, this is a terminological inexactitude (quite aside from the layer of irony you've applied).

Assuming a median gross income for British medical doctors of £150k per annum, any family with a steady income of nearly £0.3M a year before tax has to be viewed as being resolutely upper-class.

They (anysuch bracketed victims of my blunt generalisation) may try to claim the contrary and falsely-hide behind a figleaf of socioeconomic non-exceptionality. But I say no. They are part of the elite.

The only thing that's remotely middle-class about the McCanns is their choice of holiday destinations. And possibly also their dress-sense.

I'm sorry, this is a terminological inexactitude (quite aside from the layer of irony you've applied).

Assuming a median gross income for British medical doctors of £150k per annum, any family with a steady income of nearly £0.3M a year before tax has to be viewed as being resolutely upper-class.

They (anysuch bracketed victims of my blunt generalisation) may try to claim the contrary and falsely-hide behind a figleaf of socioeconomic non-exceptionality. But I say no. They are part of the elite.

The only thing that's remotely middle-class about the McCanns is their choice of holiday destinations. And possibly also their dress-sense.

You are of course correct, they are very much the elite.

State-educated professionals? Upper-middle more likely.

Income does not equal class and 'upper-class' suggests inherited wealth, familial ties to the aristocracy, landed property or establishment.

Elite? Doubtful. They just have plenty of cash.

I have a few doctor friends. Not sure I would call anyone of them upper class.

State-educated professionals? Upper-middle more likely.

Income does not equal class and 'upper-class' suggests inherited wealth, familial ties to the aristocracy, landed property or establishment.

Elite? Doubtful. They just have plenty of cash.

This....

it's ironic that the cost of the McCann's book would have paid for a babysitter for the evening

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the McScams say they'd never leave the country until Maddie was found, but left the very next day after being named suspects?

...the McScams

You can do better than that, Paul.

To reiterate my point in quotation above, no avenue of discussion is off limits here, but from this point onwards we would very much like posters to write without excessive mordancy and at least couch accusations in sensible terms to reflect what may, most likely, could possibly or probably is true if no supporting evidence is being cited to show the charge is indisputable.

Many would state that humour is inappropriate in such a case, but I disagree. It's natural to find the funny side to even the darkest day, but could we please make sure that jokes are actually funny and not just mean?

Today? Yes.

But before Maddie disappeared?

They had immediate access to government ministers, even the PM. They had abandoned toddlers to go on the piss yet child Services didn't dare to investigate as to whether they were fit parents. British detectives have never treated them as suspects or even questioned them under caution. You have to be pretty well connected for that to happen.

They are both doctors so could they have been carrying the sent of death/blood from
contacts with patents ? how long does the sent last?
Or has this some bearing on the dogs being mistrusted on this occasion.

That has been argued. IIRC Kate McCann sometimes carried M's cuddle cat round with her and as a GP had recently been present to confirm several cause of deaths. Doesn't really explain the specific points located on the flat though (behind the sofa, in the cupboard, in the rented car).

Madeleine McCann: Portuguese police identify new suspect in ‘active’ investigation, reports say

Portugal's Expresso news website claimed the man had already been investigated for alleged child sex offences before Madeleine vanished from her family's rented holiday apartment on the Algarve coast 12 years ago.

The CmTv channel on Friday night also broadcast claims that police were investigating a new suspect and had increased the number of detectives involved in the case.

It also claimed there was more than one suspect.

Source:
https://news.sky.com/story/new-suspect-in-madeleine-mccann-disappearance-11710862

Being American..I know less about this than the Brits but ..has there ever been a poll done ....that shows what the British people think happened.?
How many think the parents were involved and how many think it was an unknown criminal?

Being American..I know less about this than the Brits but ..has there ever been a poll done ....that shows what the British people think happened.?
How many think the parents were involved and how many think it was an unknown criminal?

More responsible would be a poll of people who worked on the case and would know what they were talking about rather than relying on hearsay stoked by tabloids wanting to sell newspapers and gather website hits with sensationalism.

More responsible would be a poll of people who worked on the case and would know what they were talking about rather than relying on hearsay stoked by tabloids wanting to sell newspapers and gather website hits with sensationalism.
Fair enough...is there such a poll.....I would think there must be several by now after all this time.
Or if not..what is the consensus among 'experts' in this case?

Hmmm... I've been away from this thread for quite a while so I've been busily reading up on what's been said, and pleased to see some theories being discussed freely. That's good. My personal feelings on this case have not - and undoubtedly will not - change no matter how many 'surprise' new suspects get dreamed up just as the funding is about to stop.

I haven't seen the Netflix documentary - don't have Netflix but anyway, in the Zebra household we tend to avoid any documentaries about this case because they invariably always work from the point of view of an abduction, which I have no time for.

And by the way, in what other case, has the parents been able to 'guide' an investigation in this way? Police should be able to look into all aspects of a case and come to a conclusion as to what happened, not be told by potentially the most obvious suspects (aren't the last people to see someone, usually investigated?) which way to go and then take it from there.

So I'd be interested to know, from anyone who's been able to see the Netflix thing, is it the usual abduction fare or something more worthwhile?

So I'd be interested to know, from anyone who's been able to see the Netflix thing, is it the usual abduction fare or something more worthwhile?

It's worth watching. It shows that the McCanns and their dining companions lied about how far away the restaurant was from the apartments. Also, one of the first things they did was to hire a full time PR expert to spin their story.

It's maybe something akin to the JonBenét Ramsey case.

Over the years, I have seen three documentaries which offered compelling evidence, solving the mystery.

Problem is... all three were entirely different explanations...

Hmmm... I've been away from this thread for quite a while so I've been busily reading up on what's been said, and pleased to see some theories being discussed freely. That's good. My personal feelings on this case have not - and undoubtedly will not - change no matter how many 'surprise' new suspects get dreamed up just as the funding is about to stop.

I haven't seen the Netflix documentary - don't have Netflix but anyway, in the Zebra household we tend to avoid any documentaries about this case because they invariably always work from the point of view of an abduction, which I have no time for.

And by the way, in what other case, has the parents been able to 'guide' an investigation in this way? Police should be able to look into all aspects of a case and come to a conclusion as to what happened, not be told by potentially the most obvious suspects (aren't the last people to see someone, usually investigated?) which way to go and then take it from there.

Nothing really substantial to be honest, the dog evidence is dismissed rather superficially, the blood samples so much of a joke they can be dismissed entirely. Top British police and investigators believe strongly that abduction most likely, either for sex trade or illegal adoption, (although sadly IMHO the McCanns making a song and dance about her noticeable eye condition probably sealed her fate if that were the case).

One important thing I didn't know: the Jane tanner sighting that we all remember is now completely discounted (that sketch of the walking man with girl in his arms). Now identified as another tourist taking his kid from childcare.

If she was indeed abducted, the abductors benefited from the fact that the McCann party were not properly checking on the kids, and then lied about the timings. Then the police were woefully slow to act, such that she could have been in another continent by the time they got their arses into gear to set up road checks. She was handed to them on a plate.

Hmmm, good idea. We Brits are really good at doing polls and then acting decisively upon the majority view of the public-at-large.

Oh, hang on...

Back