• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Interesting article here originally from Journal of Forensic Sciences.

Goes into stats which may be relevant.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50248943_False_Allegation_of_Child_Abduction

When a parent or other caregiver is involved in the death of a child, the homicide may be disguised or alleged to have been an accident (7). In other cases, the offender may hide the body of the victim and then falsely claim that the child has been kidnapped or that the child is simply missing. This false claim of abduction provides a means to explain the disappearance of the child and to shift the focus of the investigation toward an unknown kidnapper and away from the offender. It also serves to preserve the image of the ill-fated "good" parent, garnering sympathy and attention (not unlike that of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy). It is this latter type of case that is the focus of this study
edit to add quote from above

Last edited:
The more money the case receives, the more innocent the parents are.

Nothing to see here, move along.

The private detective who conned Madeleine McCann's parents out of £300,000 claiming he could find her died in a fall before his body was found covered in blood, a coroner has ruled.

Kevin Halligen, 56, ran Oakley International, which received the publicly donated cash after Madeleine McCann vanished from Praia da Luz in Portugal aged three in 2007.

His home was said to have been 'bloodied' when he was found there on January 8 2018 and police first treated his death as 'unexplained'.

But at his inquest coroner Richard Travers heard he died from a brain haemorrhage and that detectives found 'no suspicious circumstances'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eleine-McCanns-parents-300-000-died-fall.html

I still want to know why they keep getting massive hand outs.

Such has been the publicity, who’s going to be brave enough to put his head above the parapet and say, “It ends here”? He would forever be known as The Man Who Finally Killed Little Poor Maddy.

Better to scale it down by degrees; to dock it and allow it to wither, rather than amputate.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Nothing to see here, move along.

The private detective who conned Madeleine McCann's parents out of £300,000 claiming he could find her died in a fall before his body was found covered in blood, a coroner has ruled.

Kevin Halligen, 56, ran Oakley International, which received the publicly donated cash after Madeleine McCann vanished from Praia da Luz in Portugal aged three in 2007.

His home was said to have been 'bloodied' when he was found there on January 8 2018 and police first treated his death as 'unexplained'.

But at his inquest coroner Richard Travers heard he died from a brain haemorrhage and that detectives found 'no suspicious circumstances'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eleine-McCanns-parents-300-000-died-fall.html

Quite the body count building up...

I've not been following this story apart from when it first happened, then only on national news. One thing i remember the child's blood was found in the parents car's boot, was this ever explained. ?

Not blood, the search dogs found cadaverine. A byproduct of decomposition.

But the efficacy of search dogs has also been called into question.

I wouldn't trust my dog to effectively identify anything. She's 'pointed' at everything, from prey to fox pooh. And she won't eat cheese.

I wouldn't trust my dog to effectively identify anything. She's 'pointed' at everything, from prey to fox pooh. And she won't eat cheese.

There is a difference, however, between a family pet and a trained search dog. l’d also suggest that - if your hairy pal is an HPR breed - alerting on fox poo is a “win”.

maximus otter

I dare say they are not 100% reliable but they're not comparable with regular, untrained dogs either.

I'm just pointing out that dogs can be fallible, even those trained to work in a field.

I mean a field of work, not a few acres of agricultural land, obviously.

My dog is a terrier. She kills things for a living.

Dogs have interests in pleasing their owners.
End of story.
Whilst I'm sure you're right, Kondoru, dogs will want to be "a good dog" for their owners, I would imagine the dogs get rewarded whether they indicate something or not. That would be a sensible starting point for those training them. They've probably thought of that, in all the years tracker dogs have been used. In fact they're probably quite interested in dog psychology. I don't think it can be quite as cut and dried as that? Few things are really?

Even highly trained and motivated dogs can be utter dicks at times, I'm afraid.

Back