• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Just came across this - apologies if it's been linked previously and who knows if he is as good as he "claims", but, it's interesting in a grisly fashion.
The McCann's: Embedded Confessions - Statement Analyst Peter Hyatt

Just came across this - apologies if it's been linked previously and who knows if he is as good as he "claims", but, it's interesting in a grisly fashion...

Beyond that which is based on actual science I lost any faith in stuff like this a long time ago. The words 'trained' and 'trained professional' are bandied around a lot, especially in the US - but it's quite often pretty hard to find what that training is based on, whether the theories involved are based on peer-reviewed research, what the status is of the institutions handing out the 'qualifications', and if indeed there even are any. People just have to put the word 'forensic' and/or 'professional' in the mix, and everyone thinks it's science. Personally, I don't believe a word of it.

Last edited:
It has and Coal did a wee bit of investigation into Peter Hyatt. It was very interesting. I've put the link to this conversation below, it is worth a read but basically @Spookdaddy is correct...

A decent defence lawyer would chew this guy up and spit him out in minutes. Unfortunately the majority of US defendants can't afford one. It truly frightens me.

A decent defence lawyer would chew this guy up and spit him out in minutes. Unfortunately the majority of US defendants can't afford one. It truly frightens me.

Yup, there's a TV series I sometimes watch about how criminal give themselves away with involuntary gestures and micro-expressions. As far as I'm concerned it's bullshit.

Yup, there's a TV series I sometimes watch about how criminal give themselves away with involuntary gestures and micro-expressions. As far as I'm concerned it's bullshit.

I have no doubt that some individuals are very good at reading people in certain situations - based on experience, and maybe even a little bit of instinct - but I suspect these people are reacting to a whole host of tiny little signals, some of which they are not even aware of themselves, and which all have to be considered in relation to each other, the circumstances, and the environment, rather than a set of prescribed 'tells'.

I have no doubt that some individuals are very good at reading people in certain situations - based on experience, and maybe even a little bit of instinct - but I suspect these people are reacting to a whole host of tiny little signals, some of which they are not even aware of themselves, and which all have to be considered in relation to each other, the circumstances, and the environment, rather than a set of prescribed 'tells'.

Yup. As any seasoned poker player will tell you, everyone has their own 'tells'. There are no universal ones, especially among people with a strong interest in hiding things!

Yup. As any seasoned poker player will tell you, everyone has their own 'tells'. There are no universal ones, especially among people with a strong interest in hiding things!

I really enjoy a game of poker, and am moderately not all that terrible. When you've played someone a lot you might get familiar enough with them to pick up on the odd tiny signal, but anyone who bases their play on YouTube videos of supposed FBI body language experts is going to lose their entire bankroll in minutes flat.

I really enjoy a game of poker, and am moderately not all that terrible. When you've played someone a lot you might get familiar enough with them to pick up on the odd tiny signal, but anyone who bases their play on YouTube videos of supposed FBI body language experts is going to lose their entire bankroll in minutes flat.

That was one thing that bugged me about Star Trek TNG. You often saw the senior crew playing poker, but why would they let Deanna Troi play, when she had the Betazoid ability to read people's inner emotions and what about Data? Not only had he no emotions, but he had a computational positronic brain fully capable of counting cards.

That was one thing that bugged me about Star Trek TNG. You often saw the senior crew playing poker, but why would they let Deanna Troi play, when she had the Betazoid ability to read people's inner emotions and what about Data? Not only had he no emotions, but he had a computational positronic brain fully capable of counting cards.

You're overthinking again! :evillaugh:

I saw an episode of ST:TOS the other day, in which Kirk beat Spock at 3D chess.
Seriously?

Something about the McCanns case on ITV tonight Tues 28th at 10:45 on ITV.

Something about the McCanns case on ITV tonight Tues 28th at 10:45 on ITV.
If it’s the same one I saw the other night focussing on the new suspect, it makes for very uncomfortable viewing. I sincerely hope she didn’t fall into his hands.

Reactions: RaM
OMG they have cellars? In Germany?? Whatever next.

I don't mean to sound grotesque but from my limited experience of watching sordid true crime tv, people who abduct small children for horrible purposes tend to kill them within hours. They don't generally go on trips across continents with them. God I wouldn't particularly want to cross a continent with a toddler, and apart from not being especially fond of screaming tired children, I'm quite a decent human being I think.

Yeah it was under a 'summer house' apparently, but the house was already torn down. Cellar or foundations, who knows. I just meant to imply the press are desperate to report something. But they don't know anything about what the police have found. (Obviously, he might well have concealed a murdered victim there, and that is horrible of course, if that turns out to be what's happened). So we get a story that they've found a cellar. And we're supposed to read between the lines and think horrible things - because that still sells papers even though they're not reporting anything really.

Yeah it was under a 'summer house' apparently, but the house was already torn down. Cellar or foundations, who knows. I just meant to imply the press are desperate to report something. But they don't know anything about what the police have found. (Obviously, he might well have concealed a murdered victim there, and that is horrible of course, if that turns out to be what's happened). So we get a story that they've found a cellar. And we're supposed to read between the lines and think horrible things - because that still sells papers even though they're not reporting anything really.
See Gordonrutter's post above.

OMG they have cellars? In Germany?? Whatever next.

I don't mean to sound grotesque but from my limited experience of watching sordid true crime tv, people who abduct small children for horrible purposes tend to kill them within hours. They don't generally go on trips across continents with them. God I wouldn't particularly want to cross a continent with a toddler, and apart from not being especially fond of screaming tired children, I'm quite a decent human being I think.

I'm guessing you don't have children?

In the article linked below it states Bruckner's a suspect in the disappearance of a German six year old girl, had web-chatted with someone about... well, you can read it yourself. It's not nice, but as far as I can see they only have evidence of intent. He comes across as the sort of man who would use a cellar and as far as sexual abuse of children, he has form. It would be really great if they find absolutely nothing in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-being-investigated-over-second-missing-girl

In the article linked below it states Bruckner's a suspect in the disappearance of a German six year old girl, had web-chatted with someone about... well, you can read it yourself. It's not nice, but as far as I can see they only have evidence of intent. He comes across as the sort of man who would use a cellar and as far as sexual abuse of children, he has form. It would be really great if they find absolutely nothing in there.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-being-investigated-over-second-missing-girl
Sounds like they may have tracked down a serial killer.

Interesting that the article mentions that in April last year, Amaral (the initial detective in the case) said "that a “German paedophile who is in prison right now” was “probably going to be the scapegoat” in the case. "

Interesting that the article mentions that in April last year, Amaral (the initial detective in the case) said "that a “German paedophile who is in prison right now” was “probably going to be the scapegoat” in the case. "
I had an idea they'd use a scapegoat to close down the case.

"The blond-haired girl went missing from a stretch of woodland near a church-run assisted-living facility for people with mental health or alcohol problems near Stendal between 6.30pm and 6.45pm on 2 May 2015.
Initially, police assumed that Inga had got lost in the forest while trying to gather wood for a barbecue planned for that evening. A reward of €25,000 was offered for any vital clues for the child’s whereabouts.
According to Küllmei, on 1 May Brückner was involved in a minor traffic accident at a car park on the A2 motorway, about 100 kilometres from the spot where Inga went missing the next day." (Grauniad)

Ah, definite proof, then. Somebody who is (at least superficially) a plausible suspect for the crime was 100km away from the crime scene the day before. Can't be surprised: this was the logic that proved the Birmingham Six were guilty as Hell (six people of the right nationality were within 50 miles of the crime scene, that'll do).

And... nearby to the area where "the German Maddie" went missing, and a lot closer than 100km away, is a church-run assisted-living facility for people with mental health or alcohol problems. Hopefully it occured to the German police to account for the whereabouts of the residents and to check their past criminal histories?

Having said that... I watched that sensationalist Australian documentary 60 Minutes. You could have summated their case in a lot less than an hour. But even without the questionable presentation, the leaping to conclusions and the dumb repetition of key points..... the computer memory sticks that were recovered. At least some of which had actionable material on. And the thing that was shown but never mentioned... a collection, well, two, maybe three - of bathing costumes which looked correctly sized for five or six year old girls. What the Hells was a 43 year old man with no children of his own, and no apparent uncle responsibilities, doing with those? who did they belong to and what forensic tests have been carried out? Have the parents of any missing girls been asked to identify them? for me, that was the standout evidence of something odd going on. (Unless a copper brought the evidence with him, just to make sure... you cannot rule that out either, unfortunately).

Back