• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I have a strange false memory from the mid 1990s.

I used to listen to the BBC World Service on the radio in the morning while getting ready for work and having breakfast etc... mainly for the in depth coverage of the overnight news.

I absolutely recall an announcement that John Major had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to resolve the Irish/Northern Irish troubles. I can remember hearing it as clear as day.

I even mentioned it at work to my colleagues later that day.

John Major was never awarded a Nobel Prize.

So this is clearly a false memory either that or I have moved to an alternative timeline where it didn't happen.

Two female campaigners were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1977 for a cofounding the Community of Peace People in Northern Ireland. Perhaps you heard discussion of some aspect of that, and Major's name came into it? Dunno.

Remember the author Danielle Steele? Well, she has suddenly changed name to Danielle Steel. You can still find residue from her Danielle Steele years here and there. Reminds me a bit about the Sally Field/Fields effect mentioned earlier.
--------

Danielle Steele/Steel Changes…
Nathaniel Hébert
Nathaniel Hébert

Follow
Feb 21, 2018 · 2 min read

Well, there’s an elephant in the room, and since no one likes dancing first, I thought I’d pose the question, and help get a dialogue cascading, “Who the heck is Danielle STEEL?”

1595718725386.png

There’s only one author who’s as ubiquitous as Stephen King, John Grisham, and Tom Clancy… in fact she’s the number one selling novelist alive with 800 million copies sold to her name. “Danielle Steele”… or should I say STEEL?

1595718792897.png

Working as a bookseller in the fiction department of Chapters, I’d often have to shelve “Danielle Steele” books left about by patrons too embarrassed to purchase her novels, and have also placed countless orders for the Steele books we didn’t have on hand.

Looking through the archives on Newspapers.com, there’s plenty of reviews, adverts, and articles about Danielle Steele’s prolific collection of penned novels and mini-series… Does anyone remember Danielle STEELE as well? Or, even more interesting, find it odd that her name should change at all?

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/danielle-steele-values-ed177c96c8c8

More residues: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154930084@N08/sets/72157689854269574/

Last edited:
No, but it was Richard Briers. Funnily enough I always thought there was a scene where Margo and Jerry mention having a child who is away at boarding school, but I must be getting confused with something else as well.

Just realised where mine Mandela moment has come from here. I was thinking of Next of Kin which also starred Miss Keith but many years later. Her character in that mentions that her late son went to boarding school.

Our garden has light and is flourishing after years of being in permanent shade from a huge bay tree next door. (I have described my interactions with this tree already. It's the one that spoke to me after it was cut down.)

Last week I located the tree on Google Street View and took a photo of it on my computer screen with my phone.
Later I couldn't find the photo so asked Techy to help me with it. He said 'It's not a photo you've taken yourself, is it? Did you download it?'

I said 'Of COURSE I took it myself! I stood in the street and did it!'
Techy said 'No you didn't! That tree hasn't been there for over two years!'

For that second, I'd remembered lining up the view on Google and snapping the photo of the screen, and truly believed I'd photographed the actual tree.
I'm still not convinced I wasn't actually standing in the street and taking a photo of tree that's been gone since the other October.

Whoa, there! Tell us about that.

Thought you'd NEVER ask.

From a couple of years ago -

Our garden used to have little light because of a huge bay tree next door. We tried negotiating with the neighbours but they weren't helpful.
Eventually the elderly house owner died and the house was sold and done up, including the removal of the hated bay tree, and resold to very nice new owners.

So... t'other day I was gardening and thinking about how much more light we get these days.

I thought, 'But the tree isn't gone, it's still there as a stump which is growing new branches, and anyway what about Kirlian photography, where the outline of a felled tree is still there as if it's standing?'

Just then Jeremy Irons on t'wireless read from Psalm 37: I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

OK tree, I get it. You're still'ere.

My troubling Richard Briars memory is of his The Good Life character Tom being told by his wife Barbara that she is pregnant. This was at the end of a series and I expected there to be a child in the next, but it was never mentioned again.
I remember Tom thinking that Barbara was pregnant ,but she went on to say that one of the animals was expecting

I remember Tom thinking that Barbara was pregnant ,but she went on to say that one of the animals was expecting
Yup, this must be what I saw, but I missed the last bit.

Remember the author Danielle Steele? Well, she has suddenly changed name to Danielle Steel. You can still find residue from her Danielle Steele years here and there. Reminds me a bit about the Sally Field/Fields effect mentioned earlier.
--------

Danielle Steele/Steel Changes…
Nathaniel Hébert
Nathaniel Hébert

Follow
Feb 21, 2018 · 2 min read

Well, there’s an elephant in the room, and since no one likes dancing first, I thought I’d pose the question, and help get a dialogue cascading, “Who the heck is Danielle STEEL?”

View attachment 28329

There’s only one author who’s as ubiquitous as Stephen King, John Grisham, and Tom Clancy… in fact she’s the number one selling novelist alive with 800 million copies sold to her name. “Danielle Steele”… or should I say STEEL?

View attachment 28330

Working as a bookseller in the fiction department of Chapters, I’d often have to shelve “Danielle Steele” books left about by patrons too embarrassed to purchase her novels, and have also placed countless orders for the Steele books we didn’t have on hand.

Looking through the archives on Newspapers.com, there’s plenty of reviews, adverts, and articles about Danielle Steele’s prolific collection of penned novels and mini-series… Does anyone remember Danielle STEELE as well? Or, even more interesting, find it odd that her name should change at all?

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/danielle-steele-values-ed177c96c8c8

More residues: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154930084@N08/sets/72157689854269574/
Is it like when Barbara Streisand was advised by a numerologist or summat to lose the second 'a' in her name?

Anyway, that 'Now & Forever' blurb, THEIR'S WAS A LOVE TO LAST. How did THAT get through?

I can't believe that Danielle Steel thing! I shelved a lot of her books when I worked in a library. I'd have put a large amount of money on it being Steele. I can see it's just wanting the symmetry of the 'e's on the end of the names. But I would swear blind it had an e. Though I never actually read one so maybe that's why I didn't take it in properly? I might have been a bit disdainful of them. But I'm partial to a bit of Stephen King (that's not exactly high art either, but he's a good storyteller and I guess she must be too to be so popular) - and come to think of it I might have called him Steven King. Perhaps I just don't pay proper attention. I suppose that's the point about the Mandela Effect. We just live in a world that we partly make up.

That 'Accrington Stanley? Who are they?' advert. I have a recollection of the little boy who says that looking like a young John Barnes, but we never actually see his face. It's only the other boy we see.

That 'Accrington Stanley? Who are they?' advert. I have a recollection of the little boy who says that looking like a young John Barnes, but we never actually see his face. It's only the other boy we see.
The race of the kid is wrong. Barnes and the boy have no racial similarity.

The race of the kid is wrong. Barnes and the boy have no racial similarity.

There are two lads in the advert. The main one whose face we see and who I do remember and his friend. I had a false memory that we also saw his friend's face and he looked like a young John Barnes, but we don't see his face so that was a false memory, or Mandela effect. It was only on rewatching the advert recently that I realised I was mistaken. We don't actually see enough of the second kid to determine his race.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...72CC38C84BEC975B53EE72C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

There are two lads in the advert. The main one whose face we see and who I do remember and his friend. I had a false memory that we also saw his friend's face and he looked like a young John Barnes, but we don't see his face so that was a false memory, or Mandela effect. It was only on rewatching the advert recently that I realised I was mistaken. We don't actually see enough of the second kid to determine his race.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...72CC38C84BEC975B53EE72C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
You have a better memory than me!

This one's surprised me as much as C3-P0 having a silver leg. I've seen John Carpenter's 'The Thing' dozens of times over the years and thought I knew everything there was to know about the film .. so how come I've never noticed that Copper has a nose ring? .. it was never mentioned on the web's once largest The Thing website, Outpost31.com and it's taken nearly all the members of the The Thing Facebook fan page by surprise as well ... and what was the thinking about giving a 60 year old male scientific researcher in Antarctica in 1982 a nose ring piercing? ..

anosething001.jpg

anosething002.jpg

Last edited:
Carpenter's The Thing was an excellent movie!!:) And They Live is a masterpiece..
My minor memory fluctuation to do with this film is I could have sworn there was one of the signs saying

MARRY
REPRODUCE
DON'T QUESTION
AUTHORITY
But there isn't.

Richard Briars in a rail ticket office in an episode of the BBC series One-upmanship.
Tap on the window: (Shutter goes up)
Two to Looe

Pip pip

(Shutter goes down)

I'm sure I remembered it OK from 1976 - but only understood the pun last month.
Slight digression: I worked with a guy called Uwe Lehr (pronounced lair)
I phoned him up.
Him: "Herr Lehr"
Me (upper class twit of the year voice): "Oh hellah to you too!"
He did not appreciate it.

Is that official artwork? It would make no sense for the aliens to be reading their own propaganda as I assume they can see the "real" text all the time :)

I’ve just been looking at my favourite actors IMDB and I swear there more old stuff on there since last time I looked and I have looked many a time.

Here’s how it goes. And it’s a great film.
Is that the one where people are watching a parade with a marching band, which turns out to be a collection of cardboard tubes and boxes?

Similarly to the Danielle Steele/Steel thing, I was surprised to learn the other day that Sue Pollard likes to drop the E, as it were, and is actually Su.

Somehow that has passed me by for several decades. Although I don't spend a lot of my time thinking about "Su" Pollard to be fair.

Back