• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

You know him even if you think you don't....here's an incredible live version of "that tune from Pulp Fiction"...

Thanks, Carlos. Here's one of my favorites. The movie was fun, but this track was not really featured in it. It was part of the soundtrack, but it was really in the background.

Wild hair, pink suit, wild guitar playing, SRV. Cool, Man!

Dick Dale from Jools Holland 1995. If you get the chance listen to the album 'Calling Up Spirits', but i'm taking this thread off track.

I discovered quite by chance today that I appear to have passed without noticing into a universe where the band Chumbawumba spell their name "Chumbawamba" and the song Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins is titled "Tonight, Tonight". The chumbawumba one in particular is troubling me because I remember reading that the name was selected from a manuscript typed by a chimpanzee on a typewriter and I thought at the time that it seemed an unlikely combination of letters to be hit at random on a QWERTY keyboard by a primate. Any other survivors from my original universe here?

I discovered quite by chance today that I appear to have passed without noticing into a universe where the band Chumbawumba spell their name "Chumbawamba" and the song Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins is titled "Tonight, Tonight". The chumbawumba one in particular is troubling me because I remember reading that the name was selected from a manuscript typed by a chimpanzee on a typewriter and I thought at the time that it seemed an unlikely combination of letters to be hit at random on a QWERTY keyboard by a primate. Any other survivors from my original universe here?

It's always been Chumbawamba in my reality, although a quick googling suggests quite a few people spell it "your way". Name apparently comes from a dream.

I've only ever known it as "Chumbawamba", sorry.

what you have there is a dichotomy between (mis-) spelling and (mis-) pronunciation ... helps account for this "issue" ... along with most of the others versions

Last edited:
The situation is not helped by miscrediting on releases...

upload_2018-1-21_11-27-52.png

mods - is there now a case for merging the mandella (sic) effect with typos and piss poor proofreading ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zr5kGAW7dc
A batch for the New Year, and there's plenty food for thought herein. Most of it would come under the category of Interesting Stuff You Just Happened Not to Know About - black chickens, blu(ish) lions and the rainbow coloured mountains of Peru, for example....but Captain Picard's crystal? And the feeding tube going up Regan's nostril in The Exorcist?

I'm in two minds about that presenter: a flashy jerk or entertainingly self-deprecating in his surprise at the world?

A batch for the New Year, and there's plenty food for thought herein. Most of it would come under the category of Interesting Stuff You Just Happened Not to Know About - black chickens, blu(ish) lions and the rainbow coloured mountains of Peru, for example....but Captain Picard's crystal? And the feeding tube going up Regan's nostril in The Exorcist?

I'm in two minds about that presenter: a flashy jerk or entertainingly self-deprecating in his surprise at the world?
Great Wall of Pakistan? :confused:

but Captain Picard's crystal?

Oh that's cool. I never once noticed (Neither did I realize the weird say Riker tends to sit).
I do still think that it's "Interesting stuff I happened not to know". There's a lot of things out there. People too easily assume they know something without verifying it. There's a lot I wouldn't know.

23 Mindblowing Mandela Effects.

1) Ranikot fort in Pakistan has an 80km wall. To call it a Great Wall, well, it doesn't measure up to China's great wall. India has a 90km wall for example. To call it a great wall is like calling Hadrian's Wall the "Great Wall of Britain". I bet if Lazlow had asked his Pakistani friends about Ranikot fort they would have known about it. Not the Mandela effect.

2) Giant Grasshoppers are known in S America and Australia. The increase of CO2 in the atmosphere will allow insects to grow larger apparently. I would imagine they are good eating. Very odd though.

3) Black chickens have been used in Chinese divination for centuries. Not new. They are the main variety of chickens in Peru, a fact for which Gavin Macenzie suggested the intervention of Zheng He's treasure fleet. Not the Mandela effect

4) Rare moth. Creatonotos gangis. Not the Mandela effect

5) Look closely. There is only one worm in the mix providing the motive force, but tangled in what might be seaweed or wire. Some nematode or other; not my specialty.

6) Oh yeah, these freaky little guys. Nemertean Gorgonorhynchus. Blame C'thulhu not the Mandela effect

7) Not impossible to dye a lion blue. Could be a mutation. Those rats look normal grey to me.

8) Not a lemon, that's a goddamned durian. Not the Mandela effect.

9) Yep, famous Rainbow Mountain in Peru. Not knowing about it is not the Mandela effect.

10) How is sacred geometry the Mandela Effect? LOL Washington monument with superimposed testes "expressed the relationship between macrocosm and microcosm". Also, the pyramids are not the same size.

11) A well known project that has been quietly going on for years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway. It has hit a bump in the isthmus of Panama so you can't actually drive from North to South America.

12) I remember Cats vs Dogs

13) I don't recall the feeding tube

14) Darth Vader has a black nose, but light sometimes reflects off it to make it look silver. Sometimes people depict him with a silver nose though. Odd. I looked for images of Darth Vader with a black nose and totally found it btw. Not the mandela effect.

Bored now. Sry.

I discovered quite by chance today that I appear to have passed without noticing into a universe where the band Chumbawumba spell their name "Chumbawamba" ... Any other survivors from my original universe here?
Yeah, over here. I was first aware of Leeds' finest anarcho-pop pranksters as Chumbawumba, but I think that was mishearing or a Chinese Whispers effect at school. I didn't really get to know their work until Ssh! and Anarchy, by which time I had adjusted to the accepted spelling. When they had their sole number one, it took me some time to be persuaded that it wasn't a wind-up... Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch - we knew we hadn't missed them at the Leeds Heineken festival because the house I was staying at was overlooked by theirs, and we could see through their kitchen window that the drummer was at the sink, doing the washing-up. Rock-and-roll! It also pleases me enormously that Boff Whalley got a resoundingly positive book review in the Economist, of all places.

Anyway, I realise I have another one, prompted by Boris Johnson's latest attempt to expel the excess gas from his cranial cavity. Turns out the famous war film is Bridge On the River Kwai, whereas in my memory it was always Bridge Over the River Kwai. Mandela effect, or just interference from Simon & Garfunkel?

Yeah, over here. I was first aware of Leeds' finest anarcho-pop pranksters as Chumbawumba, but I think that was mishearing or a Chinese Whispers effect at school. I didn't really get to know their work until Ssh! and Anarchy, by which time I had adjusted to the accepted spelling. When they had their sole number one, it took me some time to be persuaded that it wasn't a wind-up... Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch - we knew we hadn't missed them at the Leeds Heineken festival because the house I was staying at was overlooked by theirs, and we could see through their kitchen window that the drummer was at the sink, doing the washing-up. Rock-and-roll! It also pleases me enormously that Boff Whalley got a resoundingly positive book review in the Economist, of all places.

Anyway, I realise I have another one, prompted by Boris Johnson's latest attempt to expel the excess gas from his cranial cavity. Turns out the famous war film is Bridge On the River Kwai, whereas in my memory it was always Bridge Over the River Kwai. Mandela effect, or just interference from Simon & Garfunkel?

Nope - it's definitely always been Bridge ON the River Kwai. I recall winning a round for my pub quiz team by getting that answer correct, when a couple of other teams erroneously thought it was called Bridge Over the River Kwai.

It's a bit like "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's home from work we go.."

It's a bit like "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's home from work we go.."

Depends which bit of the film you're talking about. One time they sing "home from work we go", the other time they sing "off to work we go".

23 Mindblowing Mandela Effects.

1) Ranikot fort in Pakistan has an 80km wall. To call it a Great Wall, well, it doesn't measure up to China's great wall. India has a 90km wall for example. To call it a great wall is like calling Hadrian's Wall the "Great Wall of Britain". I bet if Lazlow had asked his Pakistani friends about Ranikot fort they would have known about it. Not the Mandela effect.

2) Giant Grasshoppers are known in S America and Australia. The increase of CO2 in the atmosphere will allow insects to grow larger apparently. I would imagine they are good eating. Very odd though.

3) Black chickens have been used in Chinese divination for centuries. Not new. They are the main variety of chickens in Peru, a fact for which Gavin Macenzie suggested the intervention of Zheng He's treasure fleet. Not the Mandela effect

4) Rare moth. Creatonotos gangis. Not the Mandela effect

5) Look closely. There is only one worm in the mix providing the motive force, but tangled in what might be seaweed or wire. Some nematode or other; not my specialty.

6) Oh yeah, these freaky little guys. Nemertean Gorgonorhynchus. Blame C'thulhu not the Mandela effect

7) Not impossible to dye a lion blue. Could be a mutation. Those rats look normal grey to me.

8) Not a lemon, that's a goddamned durian. Not the Mandela effect.

9) Yep, famous Rainbow Mountain in Peru. Not knowing about it is not the Mandela effect.

10) How is sacred geometry the Mandela Effect? LOL Washington monument with superimposed testes "expressed the relationship between macrocosm and microcosm". Also, the pyramids are not the same size.

11) A well known project that has been quietly going on for years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway. It has hit a bump in the isthmus of Panama so you can't actually drive from North to South America.

12) I remember Cats vs Dogs

13) I don't recall the feeding tube

14) Darth Vader has a black nose, but light sometimes reflects off it to make it look silver. Sometimes people depict him with a silver nose though. Odd. I looked for images of Darth Vader with a black nose and totally found it btw. Not the mandela effect.

Bored now. Sry.

Yeah, thanks for these Alcho, but allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a moment. The claim behind the M.E fad is not that these things - those Rainbow mountains of Peru, Picards crystal,whatever -have suddenly materialised out of nowhere, but that there is a `Timeline` where they have always existed... and one where they haven't.

So there's a world where it was always `Cats and Dogs` (as it has always been for me) and one where it was ever `Cats versus Dogs` (which you inhabit, apparently).

So an M.E advocate might make a riposte to your mini-lecure by saying that they are well read, and not just ignoramuses, but they had never encountered a lot of this stuff before.

I mean, I knew a fair bit of it before but...feck...those gigantic grasshoppers!Grasshoppers, cicadas, whatever, with the dimensions of kittens. I mean....kinell! I'm into this kind of stuff and it's news to me! Where are the SF/Horror flicks using this as the premise? Where have the `Fortean` articles on it been? The Discovery Channel programmes on them? How has it all passed me by?

Then the feeding tube in `The Exorcist`. I'm no huge fan of this film and am willing to countenance the fact that it was `always` present: but if it was then it sure does alter, quite significantly, what I thought was an important part of the narrative structure. I always understood that the girl was kept more or less locked in her bedroom and had had no prior contact with anyone (except her mother) before the exorcist and his side-kick arrive.

The breathing tube implies that some medics had been on the case beforehand. In terms of realism this makes perfect sense: the girl would have to be fed somehow (and the demons would not let her be fed in the usual manner), but it reduces the drama of the appearance of the eponymous exorcist.

Next we'll find out that she was wearing braces!

Yeah, thanks for these Alcho, but allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a moment. The claim behind the M.E fad is not that these things - those Rainbow mountains of Peru, Picards crystal,whatever -have suddenly materialised out of nowhere, but that there is a `Timeline` where they have always existed... and one where they haven't.
So there's a world where it was always `Cats and Dogs` (as it has always been for me) and one where it was ever `Cats versus Dogs` (which you inhabit, apparently).
So an M.E advocate might make a riposte to your mini-lecure by saying that they are well read, and not just ignoramuses, but they had never encountered a lot of this stuff before.
I mean, I knew a fair bit of it before but...feck...those gigantic grasshoppers!Grasshoppers, cicadas, whatever, with the dimensions of kittens. I mean....kinell! I'm into this kind of stuff and it's news to me! Where are the SF/Horror flicks using this as the premise? Where have the `Fortean` articles on it been? The Discovery Channel programmes on them? How has it all passed me by?
Then the feeding tube in `The Exorcist`. I'm no huge fan of this film and am willing to countenance the fact that it was `always` present: but if it was then it sure does alter, quite significantly, what I thought was an important part of the narrative structure. I always understood that the girl was kept more or less locked in her bedroom and had had no prior contact with anyone (except her mother) before the exorcist and his side-kick arrive.
The breathing tube implies that some medics had been on the case beforehand. In terms of realism this makes perfect sense: the girl would have to be fed somehow (and the demons would not let her be fed in the usual manner), but it reduces the drama of the appearance of the eponymous exorcist.
Next we'll find out that she was wearing braces!

On the contrary, I think there is something to the Mandela Effect, however some of these seem to be bad examples. I mean, seriously, how do you develop a system of evidence in this situation? The minute you find yourself dealing with temporal paradoxes all causality goes out the window. I hope you would agree, we must say that the onus of proof is on the person making the "outrageous claim", not on the skeptic, whose only duty is to be open-minded enough to give their evidence a fair but critical hearing. I am certain most skeptics will begin to feel a bit uncomfortable about a quite a few of these examples; more than they can easily claim was a misremembered phrase.

Back to the evidence, while I wasn't really paying attention and have never seen the movie, only the ad, I too remember "Cats vs Dogs" not "Cats and Dogs". Now this is pretty subjective, but I am far from alone apparently, which is interesting as far as the Mandela effect goes. I am interested to see if the movie has been covertly renamed at some point. Different countries often get different release names, for arcane studio marketing reasons. Perhaps some nonce decided that Cats vs Dogs was too confrontational and not "family friendly" enough? Suppose some latently psychopathic kid decided to kill a cat because of the movie and the parents decided to sue? I can honestly say I would give this one the benefit of the doubt Mandela-wise because it was a culturally shared experience back in 2001 amongst all English speakers with a television. Everyone remembers a version of it, but which one?

Now look at durian fruit, and some dumbass saying it is a form of mutant lemon from another dimension. My first encounter with durians was when I was three. I hated the stinky things then and I hate them now. The fact is, the main reason westerners haven't encountered them is that they are an Asian "delicacy" and because most supermarkets wouldn't want to handle the noxiously stinky and viciously serrated bloody things. Thailand has a law against eating durians in public. Some "people" (perverts all imo) love durians, but to me, they taste like "gas leak and garbage flavor", with the texture of thick mucus with hair in it. Much as I hate them, I think that a fruit that is notably uncommon in the west but well known and very controversial in Asia for centuries is not a good example of the Mandela effect. Durians are not a culturally shared experience so they can't be verified easily.

I suggest that maybe the best answer would be conducting a questionnaire on the most likely Mandela Effect examples to see which most people choose.

On the contrary, I think there is something to the Mandela Effect, however some of these seem to be bad examples. I mean, seriously, how do you develop a system of evidence in this situation?

I suggest that maybe the best answer would be conducting a questionnaire on the most likely Mandela Effect examples to see which most people choose.

Well then, let me nominate my own top 5:

1) So many people remembering the word `dilemma` as containing a mysterious silent `n` - `dilemna`

2) The open topped car featured in the JFK assasination: 4 passengers (as so many of us recall) or six?

3) The missing `Shazam` movie about a genie starring a high profile American comedian. (I have no memory of this, but a great many otherwise sane people seem to do so).

4) The Black Tom German terrorist attack on New Jersey 1916: an important part of American history which a whole load of us never even knew about.

5) And...yes Molly's braces, or lack of, in `Moonraker`

Let me stress that I'm not an advocate of the paralell universes explanation of these oddities - but I do think that there is something spooky about them, and it most likely involves some unexplored aspect of mass psychology.

Let me stress that I'm not an advocate of the paralell universes explanation of these oddities - but I do think that there is something spooky about them, and it most likely involves some unexplored aspect of mass psychology.
I suspect it's a 'set of circumstances' that create false memories in a small percentage of the population.

Allow me a moment to postulate a conspiracy theory explanation for the Mandela effect. Consider the possibility that there are hackers going into the old movie databases and manipulating things to fuck with us like the Ministry of Truth in 1984. "Those who control the past control the future" etc. This sounds a lot like Putin's deliberate fake news campaign in contemporary Russia, that leaves people without any understanding of what is really going on, and constantly second-guessing themselves and others. The engendered paranoia and self-doubt would have a paralyzing effect on potential regime adversaries. At very least people are arguing about stupid things rather than genuine issues.

Allow me a moment to postulate a conspiracy theory explanation for the Mandela effect. Consider the possibility that there are hackers going into the old movie databases and manipulating things to fuck with us like the Ministry of Truth in 1984. "Those who control the past control the future" etc. This sounds a lot like Putin's deliberate fake news campaign in contemporary Russia, that leaves people without any understanding of what is really going on, and constantly second-guessing themselves and others. The engendered paranoia and self-doubt would have a paralyzing effect on potential regime adversaries. At very least people are arguing about stupid things rather than genuine issues.
That is an interesting idea but they would also have had to gone into my dictionary which I had had for many years and changed the word "dilemna" to "dilemma". (When I first found out about this I went straight to it as a trusted source.)

Allow me a moment to postulate a conspiracy theory explanation for the Mandela effect. Consider the possibility that there are hackers going into the old movie databases and manipulating things to fuck with us like the Ministry of Truth in 1984. "Those who control the past control the future" etc. This sounds a lot like Putin's deliberate fake news campaign in contemporary Russia, that leaves people without any understanding of what is really going on, and constantly second-guessing themselves and others. The engendered paranoia and self-doubt would have a paralyzing effect on potential regime adversaries.

Nice theory, got any evidence?

At very least people are arguing about stupid things rather than genuine issues.

That's very possible as a stand-alone statement. For example in the UK, people are ranting about imagined gender issues while real problems beset the UK like the slow edging away of free heath-care, the essentially two-tier education system and the over representation of the upper tier in the running of the country, how zero-hours contract are making it almost impossible for some people to have a full time job and make commitments to renting or buying a house, and so on.

It's the strategy of "having everyone ask the wrong questions so the answers don't matter," aka the "Pynchon strategy".

That's very possible as a stand-alone statement. For example in the UK, people are ranting about imagined gender issues while real problems beset the UK like the slow edging away of free heath-care, the essentially two-tier education system and the over representation of the upper tier in the running of the country, how zero-hours contract are making it almost impossible for some people to have a full time job and make commitments to renting or buying a house, and so on.

It's the strategy of "having everyone ask the wrong questions so the answers don't matter," aka the "Pynchon strategy".

In my experience, people are ranting about all these things, and more.

Back