• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Actually I just remembered it as being dyed. Though I could imagine the media creating a Joker-connection even if there wasn't one.

Actually I just remembered it as being dyed. Though I could imagine the media creating a Joker-connection even if there wasn't one.

Yeah, I think a lot of this phenomenon is media-led, it creates an echo chamber; social media too. Let's face it, if you're inclined towards extreme violence, a film's not going to push you over the edge, it'll be how you're treated across your life.

Its increasing because there are so many deer in GB now.

Deer ticks are the vector.

Its horrid stuff, wrecks your immune system, and is hard to diagnose.

But treatable with antibiotics.

I have had friends who have had it.

Okay I'm not - necessarily - making a Mandela out of this, but....Lyme disease. Whaaa!?
Apparently it's quite a big problem in the UK right now:.

Something of a growing hot topic these days in both US and UK because of the similarities of the symptoms of Lyme disease with Chronic Fatigue/ME/Fibromyalgia - it is possible that some sufferers have been misdiagnosed and not properly treated.

Nowadays forested parks in Europe (and even Russia) feature scary signposts showing dangerous ticks - warning you not to sit down too long in certain areas - and generally to keep an eye out for them - for fear of getting Lyme disease. But this is all new to me!

In fact I can't think of a time when this ailment has featured in English Literature (which I have studied to higher degree level). You might have thought that a realistic, somewhat gloomy, rural writer like Thomas Hardy would have mentioned Lynme disease somehwere if it had been a reaL problem then (perhaps by another name) - but I can't recall anything like that.

As far as I knew dangerous insect bites were the province of hotter, southerly climes. Of course, one would get bitten by something out in the sticks...but it was an annoyance and never an issue in the UK, or northern Europe.

Which brings me onto my next question: is this spread of Lyme disease related to climate change at all? And if so, why aren't I hearing people say this?

Lyme Disease has been about for as long as humans: Ӧtzi the Iceman tested positive for the DNA of the bacterium causing LD.

l would theorise that the reason LD doesn’t feature in literature is that the symptoms are so generalised and non-specific:

The most common sign of infection is an expanding area of redness on the skin, known as erythema migrans, that appears at the site of the tick bite about a week after it occurred.[1] The rash is typically neither itchy nor painful.[1] Approximately 70–80% of infected people develop a rash.[1] Other early symptoms may include fever, headache and tiredness.[1] If untreated, symptoms may include loss of the ability to move one or both sides of the face, joint pains, severe headaches with neck stiffness, or heart palpitations, among others.[1] Months to years later, repeated episodes of joint pain and swelling may occur.[1] Occasionally, people develop shooting pains or tingling in their arms and legs.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

How many “agues” or “rheumatisms” in Shakespeare or Hardy might be LD?

As to “climate change”, l’d say no. The reasons we have an increasing number of victims of LD are:

a) We now recognise that it exists, and;

b) We have an increasing population of both people and deer competing for the same acreage of the UK.

Articles on UK deer populations:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-21688447

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/deer-culling-in-britain-facts-and-statistics/

https://findingnature.co.uk/effects-growing-deer-population/

maximus otter

Businessman making PR for his company talks about the Mandela Effect and Quantum Physics.

I bought a copy of "Kate Bush: Greatest Hits" on CD, largely to replace my long-gone vinyl. And straight away, the version of "Wuthering Heights" that emerged was so different that I seriously wondered if I'd slipped into a slightly different alternative universe - this simply was not the single version I fondly remembered. not at all. Most of the other familiar tracks were pretty much as I recalled them - the collected single releases much as they were on vinyl - but this one track, THE Kate Bush track, was not the one I remembered. Not in the slightest. The obvious explanation is that some bloody producer just could not leave well alone, had got hold of the original master tapes, and sincerely beleived he was "improving" it. either that or this is an alternate mix that crossed from a nearby parellel universe where that was the hit. Or else I genuinely did remember it wrong and this is exactly as it was when released...

I bought a copy of "Kate Bush: Greatest Hits" on CD, largely to replace my long-gone vinyl. And straight away, the version of "Wuthering Heights" that emerged was so different that I seriously wondered if I'd slipped into a slightly different alternative universe - this simply was not the single version I fondly remembered. not at all. ...

A remixed version, featuring rerecorded vocals, was included on the 1986 greatest hits album The Whole Story. This version also appeared as the B-side to her 1986 hit "Experiment IV".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuthering_Heights_(song)

I bought a copy of "Kate Bush: Greatest Hits" on CD, largely to replace my long-gone vinyl. And straight away, the version of "Wuthering Heights" that emerged was so different that I seriously wondered if I'd slipped into a slightly different alternative universe - this simply was not the single version I fondly remembered. not at all. Most of the other familiar tracks were pretty much as I recalled them - the collected single releases much as they were on vinyl - but this one track, THE Kate Bush track, was not the one I remembered. Not in the slightest. The obvious explanation is that some bloody producer just could not leave well alone, had got hold of the original master tapes, and sincerely beleived he was "improving" it. either that or this is an alternate mix that crossed from a nearby parellel universe where that was the hit. Or else I genuinely did remember it wrong and this is exactly as it was when released...
If you're talking about The Whole Story, it's because she had put on a new vocal on the song.

Ah. That explains it. The Whole Story. There i was thinking it was a "greatest hits" collection... and wondering why this one had been, compared to the 1978 version I wanted to hear, seriously effed around with. That is utterly disconcerting... Babiushka, Man With The Child In his Eyes, Heavy People, all of those exactly as I recalled them - but Wuthering Heights - not. So not the Mandela Effect at all - just a remix...

are we conflating lyme disease and "chronic lyme disease" ... i knew a sufferer of the latter a few years back, she struggled with many complex issues due to it, but then she had also apparently spent a few years in billy meiers enclave, where she got the tick, so you can imagine the type

No looking or cheating but in The Shining, what does the little boy use to get around the hotel?

You're all more right than wrong but I suppose kind of wrong depending upon how you describe a tricycle.

He's in a 3 wheeled pedal car which looks like a go-kart from the back. So I suppose it is a 3 wheeled thing but it's not a tricycle. I was certain that it was a tricycle BIKE and not a pedal car type thing.

I'm confused....surely this is a tricycle?

1573219929671.png

i suppose theres a latent expectation that a trike is somehow triangular

but a google search clearly shows a triangular tricycle not a go-kart

...He's in a 3 wheeled pedal car which looks like a go-kart from the back. So I suppose it is a 3 wheeled thing but it's not a tricycle. ...

He's *on* it, not *in* it. (Classic children's pedal cars have enclosing bodies)
A "pedal car" is a 4-wheeled toy.
"Pedal cars" don't drive the front wheels.

I'm confused....surely this is a tricycle? ...

It most assuredly *is* a classic child's tricycle, because it has the following features:

- 3 wheels (in this case, arranged in the classic delta configuration)
- direct rotary pedal drive
- the single front wheel is the drive wheel
- front-wheel steering with handlebars

More specifically ... The trike used in the film is an example of the wildly popular "recumbent" or "low rider" style, of which the Marx "Big Wheel" was the paradigmatic / iconic specimen. Marx introduced the Big Wheel in 1969, and it was a huge hit throughout the 1970s. As of the time The Shining was filmed it would have been odd for an American kid to be riding an older-style upright trike indoors.

Shifting the seat lower and to the rear (as compared to the older "upright" configuration) lowered the center of gravity and greatly increased stability when turning / cornering. One reason Big Wheels were so popular was safety. Another attractive feature was the ability to add a back to the seat, so as to aid kids in pumping the pedals and reduce strains on their backs.

The long tracking shots of the boy riding through the Overlook's corridors couldn't have been so smooth if he'd been riding an upright trike. He would have had to slow down to make his turns, and the turns would have been more awkwardly executed.

I'm not saying that this is a mandela effect, it was just something that my wife and I were discussing. I said he was on a tricycle as I remembered 3 wheels. She said he was in a go-cart because she remembered the seat back. So I thought in the spirit of the Mandela effect, I'd ask you guys.

But when I said tricycle, I meant one of these:
34b-feature-1_1.jpg

Not one of these:
a0367f1286e13a51c389ef319dd5f638.jpg

This is not called a Trike or Tricycle where I grew up, we'd call it a pedal car or a 3 wheeler go-kart. But regardless of that, I pictured him in my head on something like the first photo.

He's *on* it, not *in* it. (Classic children's pedal cars have enclosing bodies)

Maybe American pedal cars but where I grew up, pedal cars don't have bodies. You sit on it. But you're right about the chain and and usually 4 wheels.

That's why I called it a pedal cart/go-kart thing as opposed to my idea of a tricycle.

I've always known her as Sally Field. Are you getting mixed up with W.C. Fields? Very similar screen persona.

Back