• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The March Of Technology

I found undated references to a similar wristband concept that projects the image forward (onto the palm of the hand) rather than rearward (onto the forearm).

I haven't been able to locate any information at all about this version of the wristband projector concept, so I suspect it was even more vaporous vaporware than the Cicret concept.
Yep, that's just as much a puff of smoke as the other projector.

What could possibly go wrong?

08.20.2020 12:00 PM
This Plane Flies Itself. We Went for a Ride
Xwing is testing a Cessna that's controlled from the ground, not the cockpit. Its goal is to automate as much as possible, while keeping a human in the loop.

THE CONDITIONS ARE not ideal for our landing. A hard wind is blowing over the low hills east of San Francisco, and at just the wrong angle—straight across the runway where we’re set to touch down. But as we ease into our final approach, our two-winged shadow clipping the suburban homes below, the veteran pilot sitting beside me makes a gentle suggestion. “I like to do it hands up. Like a roller coaster,” he says.

He removes his hands from the wheel of our aircraft, a 27-year-old Cessna Caravan that once shuttled United Nations dignitaries in southern Africa. It’s nothing especially fancy, with aspects that feel more go-kart than airliner. The cockpit is filled with manual toggles and analog dials; pulleys connect the pedal directly to the rudder at the tail. But recently, this plane underwent some modifications. As we descend past 500 feet, the 15-knot gusts hitting our side and the pilot’s hands still hovering, the wheel and pedals begin to jostle, compensating for the wind with inhuman precision. The descent remains smooth—serene, even, as we touch down. ...

https://www.wired.com/story/autonomous-plane-xwing/

A Quantum Internet!

The quantum internet may be coming to you via drone.

Scientists have now used drones to transmit particles of light, or photons, that share the quantum linkage called entanglement. The photons were sent to two locations a kilometer apart, researchers from Nanjing University in China report in a study to appear in Physical Review Letters.

Entangled quantum particles can retain their interconnected properties even when separated by long distances. Such counterintuitive behavior can be harnessed to allow new types of communication. Eventually, scientists aim to build a global quantum internet that relies on transmitting quantum particles to enable ultrasecure communications by using the particles to create secret codes to encrypt messages. A quantum internet could also allow distant quantum computers to work together, or perform experiments that test the limits of quantum physics.

Quantum networks made with fiber-optic cables are already beginning to be used (SN: 9/28/20). And a quantum satellite can transmit photons across China (SN: 6/15/17). Drones could serve as another technology for such networks, with the advantages of being easily movable as well as relatively quick and cheap to deploy. ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/physics-drones-could-help-create-quantum-internet

A Quantum Internet!

The quantum internet may be coming to you via drone.

Scientists have now used drones to transmit particles of light, or photons, that share the quantum linkage called entanglement. The photons were sent to two locations a kilometer apart, researchers from Nanjing University in China report in a study to appear in Physical Review Letters.

Entangled quantum particles can retain their interconnected properties even when separated by long distances. Such counterintuitive behavior can be harnessed to allow new types of communication. Eventually, scientists aim to build a global quantum internet that relies on transmitting quantum particles to enable ultrasecure communications by using the particles to create secret codes to encrypt messages. A quantum internet could also allow distant quantum computers to work together, or perform experiments that test the limits of quantum physics.

Quantum networks made with fiber-optic cables are already beginning to be used (SN: 9/28/20). And a quantum satellite can transmit photons across China (SN: 6/15/17). Drones could serve as another technology for such networks, with the advantages of being easily movable as well as relatively quick and cheap to deploy. ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/physics-drones-could-help-create-quantum-internet
Will this make it possible with an internet connection with Mars and the Moon, or even an exoplanet without delays? Photons connected with each other is supposed to transmit without delay, unlike electromagnetic waves.

Quantum networks is not the same as quantum communication.

I have read articles that say quantum entanglement will NOT allow faster-than-light transmission of information, but the explanations left me scratching my head. This article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ntanglement-to-communicate-faster-than-light/

lays it out in a way that I think I can comprehend it. (NOTE: You may have to disable Java script on the Forbes site to bypass their paywall.) So no, it doesn't look like we'll be communicating instantaneously over vast distances using quantum entanglement. Rats.

Oh well, I'd rather use tachyons to communicate with the future anyway. That will work, right?

Last edited:
A New York (state) company is offering what it claims to be the first 3D-printed house in the USA.
'First 3D-printed home in U.S.' for sale in New York

A New York state house billed as "the first 3D printed home in the United States" is being listed for sale online with an asking price of $299,999.

The Riverhead home, listed online by Zillow, was built by a company called SQ4D using an "autonomous robotic construction system" that involved a massive 3D printer creating each piece of the home at the building site. ...

"Built with concrete, this home will deliver strength and durability that conventional wood-frame construction cannot match," the company said. ...

FULL STORY (With Photo):
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ome-in-US-for-sale-in-New-York/1121612215884/

YOUTUBE CHANNEL Presenting Videos About 3D Printed Buildings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjRIH8FlI9jpTy74hv-r8w

Nurse: “We’d like you to masturbate in this cup.”

Man: "What...from over here?"

Nurse: 'We’d like you to masturbate in this cup'
Deaf man: 'Come again?'
Nurse: 'As many times as you like'

I have read articles that say quantum entanglement will NOT allow faster-than-light transmission of information, but the explanations left me scratching my head.
I believe in order to understand what the local particle was "saying", you'd have to compare it to measurements of the distant particle, and that would require transmitting information by conventional means. And forcing a particle into a particular state, rather than just noting its reactions, compromises the entanglement.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's about the level I understand it.

Dutch couple move into Europe’s first fully 3D-printed house

Elize Lutz, 70, and Harrie Dekkers, 67, retired shopkeepers from Amsterdam, received their digital key – an app allowing them to open the front door of their two-bedroom bungalow at the press of a button – on Thursday.

“It is beautiful,” said Lutz. “It has the feel of a bunker – it feels safe,” added Dekkers.

Inspired by the shape of a boulder, the dimensions of which would be difficult and expensive to construct using traditional methods, the property is the first of five homes planned by the construction firm Saint-Gobain Weber Beamix for a plot of land by the Beatrix canal in the Eindhoven suburb of Bosrijk.

The 3D printing method involves a huge robotic arm with a nozzle that squirts out a specially formulated cement, said to have the texture of whipped cream. The cement is “printed” according to an architect’s design, adding layer upon layer to create a wall to increase its strength.

The point at which the nozzle head had to be changed after hours of operation is visible in the pattern of the new bungalow’s walls, as are small errors in the cement printing, perhaps familiar to anyone who has used an ink printer.

The new house consists of 24 concrete elements that were printed layer by layer at a plant in Eindhoven before being transported by lorry to the building site and placed on a foundation to be worked on by Dutch building firm Van Wijnen. A roof and window frames were then fitted, and finishing touches applied.

By the time the fifth of the homes is built – comprising three floors and three bedrooms – it is hoped that construction will be done wholly on-site and that various other installations will also be made using the printer, further reducing costs.

“If you look at what time we actually needed to print this house it was only 120 hours,” Huysmans said. “So all the elements, if we would have printed them in one go, it would have taken us less than five days because the big benefit is that the printer does not need to eat, does not need to sleep, it doesn’t need to rest. So if we would start tomorrow, and learned how to do it, we can print the next house five days from now.”

1619783320462.png

1619783321314.png

Dutch couple move into Europe’s first fully 3D-printed house

Elize Lutz, 70, and Harrie Dekkers, 67, retired shopkeepers from Amsterdam, received their digital key – an app allowing them to open the front door of their two-bedroom bungalow at the press of a button – on Thursday.

“It is beautiful,” said Lutz. “It has the feel of a bunker – it feels safe,” added Dekkers.

View attachment 38730

View attachment 38731
Could do with a bit of a skim of render on the outside

"Fully 3D printed"
Except for the doors and windows.
And everything else except for the walls.

Thing is, with any novel home design people say "I don't like the look of that" and forget the core points: how was it built, how much did it cost, how heat efficient is it, how practical is it?
Here in the UK there's been a constant issue (perhaps accelerated lately) about building on flood-prone areas. One argument (I'm not convinced) is that we need more housing. So if developers want to build houses, we need to make more land available to build on. This starts the protection of green land, reuse of brown-field areas discussion and so on.
But what about - and I'm goin out on a limb here - if you want to build on unproductive flood-plains then change your 'traditional' designs and build feckin' houses on stilts? Protect utility connections but, if you want to have a house which floods once a year then build to take this in to account? If you buy a 'custom designed' house then the insurance companies can't refuse or charge the earth to use said areas.
"Oh, no," they say "people won't buy that kind of thing! We build houses to a tried and tested design that has been around since Victorian times! That's what they want!"

"Fully 3D printed"
Except for the doors and windows.
And everything else except for the walls.
Obviously. It's just the structure. If it bothers you, you can always contact the Guardian to complain in the strongest possible terms & get them to alter the wording.
I quite like the texture but I can't help wondering how it will weather. Horribly, I suspect. :nods:
Yes - it's concrete which doesn't always weather well..
Could do with a bit of a skim of render on the outside
It's a more interesting design than 99.9999% of newbuilds in the UK which are mostly hideously conservative boxes. I quite like the rope effect finish but a render could be good as well.

Once big developers get on the case I'd expect more of the conservative box design. That's the way they work.

New electricity pylon design

The first 36 of a new T-shaped design of electricity pylon have been wired up, National Grid has announced.

The pylons, the first new design in the UK since 1927, will be rolled out where possible across England and Wales.
Instead of an Eiffel-Tower-style lattice A-frame with a series of arms holding the electricity cables, they are strung below a cross-arm atop a single pole.

The aim is to reduce the visual impact on the environment.

The new design, submitted by Danish company Bystrup, was selected from more than 250 entries in a 2011 competition run by the Royal Institute of British Architects and the government.
1647382408428.png

Doesn’t look like they’re capable of multi level lines like this.

1647382439621.png

I like the old pylons, but didn't know they'd been around since 1927.

But they make too much noise, jumping up and down like that.

Back