The March Of Technology

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't see a technical reason why it can't be done, it's a bit similar to those projected keyboards.
Getting a decent resolution and power source would probably be the main obstacles.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I don't see a technical reason why it can't be done, it's a bit similar to those projected keyboards.
Getting a decent resolution and power source would probably be the main obstacles.
The angle of projection is pretty shallow, which could lead to some blurriness at the far end. Even a short-throw projector needs to stand further away from the surface than that.
The brightness of the laser would need to be such that it might cause heating of the skin (ouch).
The power required would be too much for the size of the unit.
Unless the wearer has dead flat skin, it would be difficult to reliably implement light-based sensors for finger-swiping, etc. It's difficult enough to do that on a digital whiteboard.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
It might work better if instead of a wrist based item it was a projector fitted on some kind of chest mounted device, like a badge/brooch.
A sensor could detect whereabouts your hand or forearm is and project the image onto it accordingly.
And it would have a better resolution, and be more sensitive to the movements of the input device (your hand).

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It might work better if instead of a wrist based item it was a projector fitted on some kind of chest mounted device, like a badge/brooch.
A sensor could detect whereabouts your hand or forearm is and project the image onto it accordingly.
And it would have a better resolution, and be more sensitive to the movements of the input device (your hand).
That might work, yes.
Another system might be based on the new flexible LEDs that are now available. Perhaps a thin LCD could be worn as a bracelet and have a built-in touchscreen capability. It could be used instead of a mobile phone.

Vardoger

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A reason that skin tech might not catch on - it looks awful on you.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Thing is, smartphone screens are now available 'flexible', so surely the people that make these things could make one in which the screen bit is a separate piece that you just bung on your forearm? And the gubbins that makes it work is in your pocket.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The angle of projection is pretty shallow, which could lead to some blurriness at the far end. Even a short-throw projector needs to stand further away from the surface than that.
The image keystoning would be extreme, and some folks' forearms might not provide a reasonable projection surface anyway.

The brightness of the laser would need to be such that it might cause heating of the skin (ouch).
The power required would be too much for the size of the unit.
Unless the wearer has dead flat skin, it would be difficult to reliably implement light-based sensors for finger-swiping, etc. It's difficult enough to do that on a digital whiteboard.
Agreed on all points ...

The French design group Cicret promoted the concept at least as early as 2014 and called for a crowdsourcing campaign to underwrite development of the concept.

https://www.newsweek.com/bracelet-project-your-phone-screen-your-arm-291040

However ... Although they raised the amount of funding requested in 2014, the company apparently gave up after producing a prototype that didn't reflect the capabilities of the concept they'd envisioned and promoted. More info and videos of both the first working prototype and a debunking can be found at:

https://canyouactually.com/this-inc...-future-of-technology-has-officially-arrived/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I found undated references to a similar wristband concept that projects the image forward (onto the palm of the hand) rather than rearward (onto the forearm).

9fef444d1f8eb70c181a617ad8a627bb--pico-projector-business-design.jpg

I haven't been able to locate any information at all about this version of the wristband projector concept, so I suspect it was even more vaporous vaporware than the Cicret concept.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I found undated references to a similar wristband concept that projects the image forward (onto the palm of the hand) rather than rearward (onto the forearm).

I haven't been able to locate any information at all about this version of the wristband projector concept, so I suspect it was even more vaporous vaporware than the Cicret concept.
Yep, that's just as much a puff of smoke as the other projector.