• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Media & Forteana

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
(Mods feel free to put in a sensible place if you think I havent done a good job in that line)

<Complete aside>

Visiting a farmer friend this weekend. I saw lots of things to interest me (Earthworks, cats, an old cider press, some super longhorn horns, a Gypsy caravan, vintage tractors etc...) But they pointed out their new Combine harvester. "It self drives!"

Which got me thinking.

A lot of people are not in favour of self driving cars because of saftey, and yet as far as we know, they are very safe.

But the Media latch onto any accident (or percieved accident) Its human nature to take note of something that is atypical.

Which is where Forteana comes in. And yet of course some `Fortean` events are actualy quite ordinary.

But arent the poor public perception of Forteana due to Media scoffing?

Serious scientists do not scoff, note. (Keel had a bugbear abou what he called `Type A` scientists (Researchers) and `Type B` Scientists (Disseminators) note).

If you say you saw a UFO you are scoffed at, and if you debunk a UFO you are scoffed at.

Why are we so fringe?

Why are we so fringe?
I have in the past brought up the subject of what exactly, precisely, it all actually means.

For example, these dictionary definitions:

Fortean:

relating to or denoting paranormal phenomena.
"Fortean phenomena like spontaneous combustion"

Paranormal:

denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding.
(END)

Consider our thread, 'Fortean Music'.

On several occasions, I pondered posting and then uncertain the material qualified as music which was Fortean.

'Fortean music... relating to or denoting paranormal phenomena'?

From those previous discussions, there were evidently varying interpretations of 'Fortean', 'Forteana' and a general acceptance that was the case.

Moreso, a consistency it was highly questionable whether Charles Fort would concur with any of our definitions or interpretations at all!

Ultimately, perhaps it's simply what has evolved and encompasses such an eclectic myriad of subjects.

Are we 'fringe'?

Such a fascinating point you raise and perhaps the answer is both yes and no. It depends on the viewpoint anyone is starting from.

Personally comfortable with saying I am a Fortean - someone who takes an interest in the literature of Charles Fort - and sometimes that which seems, 'out of the ordinary' cautiously intrigues.

I was at one point intending to write, 'this thread is something of a personal catharsis' - i. e. actually setting out my now clear thoughts re same.

Thankfully, because it would have pased a spell check, noticed I must have mistyped a key word which had automatically been 'corrected' and sentence read:

This thread is something of a personal
catheter...

Mentioned that, because I remembered this..

"Charles Fort had the most magnificent 'sense of humor' that ever made life bearable to a thoughtful man. Never forget that as you read him. If you do, he'll trick you. He'll make you hopping mad sometimes, but — as your choler rises — remember he's doing it purposely and that just when you're boiling he'll stick his head up and thumb his nose at you".

Tiffany Thayer.

I don't think that many people understand exactly what it is, even if they have heard of it.

A typical reaction I have heard reads like "Oh god its that tedious crap, 'a fish fell on Mr Jones' head in Harrogate in 1895'. Who cares?"

Even my wife has told me that I would believe that shit was sugar if I read it in the FT.

The general Fortean outlook doesn't translate very well in my personal opinion.

A friend of mine thinks Forteana is about crystal healing and anti-vaxxers, all that. He calls the mag "Infernal Times". I guess he's not the only one with that point of view.

A friend of mine thinks Forteana is about crystal healing and anti-vaxxers, all that. He calls the mag "Infernal Times". I guess he's not the only one with that point of view.
I guess he hasn't actually read the mag.

I guess he hasn't actually read the mag.

Wouldn't dream of it! But it doesn't bother me, there's something oddly satisfying in people getting you "wrong" when you know better. Well, within reason.

I thought this might be of related interest.

Attached as a pdf file is a page from the Sacramento Bee, dated 23 December, 1947.

Featured therein is an article entitled, 'Pitching Horseshoes', by Billy Rose (a well known 'Broadway impresario').

This article appeared in many newspapers across the U.S. and paints a contemporary picture of Forteans which would presumably have been accepted as exact.

It's self-explanatory and if offended, we can doubtless arrange a protest meeting amongst the tree-tops!

Attachments

• The_Sacramento_Bee_Tue__Dec_23__1947_.pdf
    754.1 KB · Views: 18
Back