• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mighty Boosh

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/mightyboosh/

www.imdb.com/title/tt0416394/

I watched a few episodes when it started but couldn't really be bothered with it - struck me as trying a little too hard to be weird for weirdness sake. I caught a few of the most recent series on BBC2 - very weird and Fortean (I sw the one where they dressed as goths and had to get the Necronomicon from a granny and the one where they travelled to Naboo's home). While I enjoyed them I'm unsure if I found them that funny and was pondering treating them as a surreal soap opera. I will also own up to possible not having given this series enough time in the past.

[edit: Just checking through the BBC site and there have been less episodes than I recall. There is also a complete DVD out which isn't bad:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C ... ntmagaz-21

I'm still unsure. Then again reading the episode guide makes them sound great. ;)

I might try and get Booshed up with some repeats.]

Any fans/haters?

I watched a couple of episodes from the first series. I thought it was quite funny at the time. The episode I remember most was a weird Dr Moreau parody with the two characters finding the creatures in the mad doctor's/vet's [?] rooms. The 'monsters' costumes were nothing short of an infant school play - all foam, neon paint and nylon 'teddy bear' fur. I think that's what I liked about it IIRC.

Saw a couple on BBC recently. To start with, I thought it pretty imbecilic, but after a while, I was engrossed - totally drawn in to the Boosh universe. The episode where they are cast away on a desert island because Vince has given the ship's captain a "mullet" haircut in his sleep was hilarious. The coconut-girlfriend rivalry which resulted was inspired lunacy of the highest level.

All in all, ideal late-night cult viewing.

But still stupid.

Milky Joe & Old Gregg are perhaps two of the most terrifying characters ever seen on British television :shock:

The second series got a fair bit of stick from some quarters but I feel it made more use of the visual medium than the first (TV) series and was a natural and satisfying progression for something which started on the radio - some people particularly hated the Moon, but I loved him and I also have a fond spot for both the Hitcher and Tony Harrison... :D

Yes, I only started watching it recently and I like it - but I'm not sure why. It does have it's very funny moments, and it does have it's own particular world in which everything is set (which they then mess around with). The production values seem pretty high, so obviously the BBC think it's worth investing in. I think my favourite episode of the last series was the one where they're two Mexican rock guitarists going on a vigil in a desert somewhere.

Blimey, even describing it makes it sound completely daft...

Anyway, it's still alot funnier than 'Hyperdrive' ;)

Oh, I'd forgotten about Rudi & Spider - I'd give anything for a copy of Bongo Ahoy... ;)

Very clever stuff.

Production values? Harked backed to the good old days of the first two Doctors, as far as I could see. And that's not to put it down, either! :lol:

different folks, different strokes

Watched most of season 1 and 2, giving it a fair chance. But ultimately felt somewhat disappointed by it, I think. I don't think I ever so much as feigned slight amusement whilst in the company of others. I don't think it humoured me at all.

The weirdness I think is contrived and forced, so I've not been that much a fan of it. I'm all for cheap production values, and they certainly find their home on Mighty Boosh, they work because aesthetically I didn't find that they were that unpleasing. Sort of cool. but the show itself, as a whole, was trying too hard to be weird ... to be cool.

Sort of akin to the mad diatribe of someone who's never had drugs telling you all about their first trip. It's that naivety that lets it done.

Hmmm, I caught an episode of it where they were trying to woo a panda. I found that really funny. But then I saw the second season and it wasn't really that good. That Rudi & Spider thing was quite boring. But the Milky Joe episode was really cool and surreal.

I also noticed the two main characters appeared in a show called The Trial of Salvador Dali, which seemed to be a bit of an odd biography about him.

I saw the Old Gregg episode, visually some of it was really beautiful, some bits were funny, quite a few weren't.

Might Boosh

Loved the first series, liked the second series. Both had inspired moments.

Went to see them live with my 16 year old son, and both loved it. Like a pantomime for the Stump F**cking generation.

Must go, my copy of Cheekbone has just been delivered; by Ninjas!

Listened to the radio show, it drove me up the wall after about ten minutes. Watched the TV show, it drove me up the wall in about five minutes. Oh well.

I'd heard a couple of the radio series, and thought it was ok. But a friend of mine is slightly obsessed with Noel Fielding, so we had to go see the live show.
It was really good, and I was forced to go get the DVDs, and it has really grown on me. It's just so... random. And silly and weird.

Unfortunately, as a side effect, the evil jukebox in my brain has been alternating between the soup song and "I love the chosen one" constantly for the last month...

do i like the boosh? well, i have the tundra rap as my ringtone! :lol:
they also did the breezeblock, if you can find a copy it is worth it if you like the humour of barratt, fielding and fulcher. as i have mentioned fulcher, i have to say that snuffbox is also excellent. :shock: :eek: :D

ZVZ__ said:
Unfortunately, as a side effect, the evil jukebox in my brain has been alternating between the soup song and "I love the chosen one" constantly for the last month...

Oh no - someone has just filled my mental jukebox with old 5ps and put "I love the chosen one" on replay for the rest of the night :(

Yeah, sorry about that, but If I've gotta suffer it then so does everyone else ;)

I love the chosen one,
Loving him is fun, fun, fun...

ZVZ__ said:
Yeah, sorry about that, but If I've gotta suffer it then so does everyone else ;)

I love the chosen one,
Loving him is fun, fun, fun...

Ah come on now!! That's just plain mean - I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself :?

You are Lynndie England and I claim my £5 ;)

Ain't I a rotter?

Would it help if I took your mind off it by singing about soup?

Super tasty soup, super spicy...

(sorry, I've been watching it again)

I actually got over it and cleared it out of my system when I found I was singing "I love the frozen one" ;)

I'm really enjoying the new series. Weird, in a dream logic sort of way.

They used to say that 'Monty Python' was 'surreal' comedy, but Noel Fielding is obviously an actual, glam, 'surrealist.' I don't think I've ever seen anything that had quite the coherent artistic vision thing going, that the Boosh has.

Right down to the recurrent Polo Mint motif.

It travels along at a sedate pace, like a slightly off kilter sitcom and then something really weird, even slightly shocking, happens, that throws a spanner in the works and you're not quite sure what's going on.

Like when Naboo dropped his pants in a recent episode. Odd. :madeyes:

Eels
Eels up inside ya,
Finding an entrance where they can.
Eels up inside ya,
Finding an entrance where they can.
Boring through your mind, through your tummy, through your anus.
Eels. Eels. Eels.

Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels!
Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels!
Give it up now!
Eels! Eels! Give it up now!
Eels! Eels! Give it up now!

I love it too!

Although that damned Crack Fox was actually scarier than Old Gregg.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I'm really enjoying the new series. Weird, in a dream logic sort of way.

They used to say that 'Monty Python' was 'surreal' comedy, but Noel Fielding is obviously an actual, glam, 'surrealist.' I don't think I've ever seen anything that had quite the coherent artistic vision thing going, that the Boosh has.

Right down to the recurrent Polo Mint motif.

An interview with Fielding, touches upon his artistic exploits. Also mentions that he was a semi-professional footballer who once had trials with Spurs (the most surreal image yet) .

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/feature ... id=3595153

Yeah, I think the Boosh actually gets better as they go on. I can't get enough of it :).

And I can't get the eels song out of my head either (I did have Kylie's song of the same title - not eels, the other one - lodged in my brain for years, but now it's eels. I never thought I'd say something like that aloud, either.)

stuneville said:
I never thought I'd say something like that aloud, either.)

You didn't, mate! ;) :lol:

You wrote it.

(And we won't tell anyone... ;) 8) )

gyrtrash said:
stuneville said:
I never thought I'd say something like that aloud, either.)

You didn't, mate! ;) :lol: ..
Ah, but I did.

I read all my posts out loud, and if they sound particularly clever or chortlesome I award myself a biccie.

Only joking. Or am I?

No, I'm not. I really did just award myself a biccie.

stuneville said:
I read all my posts out loud, and if they sound particularly clever or chortlesome I award myself a biccie.

Only joking. Or am I?

No, I'm not. I really did just award myself a biccie.

Don't talk with your mouth full! :no-no:

Back