• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Shredders (Machines): Real or ULs?

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The missing people-shredder

The horror of one of Saddam's execution methods made a powerful pro-war rallying cry - but the evidence suggests it never existed

Brendan O'Neill
Wednesday February 25, 2004
The Guardian

Forget the no-show of Saddam Hussein's WMD. Ask instead what happened to Saddam's "people shredder", into which his son Qusay reportedly fed opponents of the Ba'athist regime.

Ann Clwyd, the Labour MP who chairs Indict, a group that has been campaigning since 1996 for an international criminal tribunal to try the Ba'athists, wrote of the shredder in the Times on March 18 last year - the day of the Iraq debate in the House of Commons and three days before the start of the war. Clwyd described an Iraqi's claims that male prisoners were dropped into a machine "designed for shredding plastic", before their minced remains were "placed in plastic bags" so they could later be used as "fish food".

Not surprisingly, the story made a huge impact. When the Australian prime minister John Howard addressed his nation to explain why he was sending troops to support the coalition, he talked of the "human-shredding machine". Paul Wolfowitz, the US deputy defence secretary, expressed admiration for Clwyd's work in an email and invited her to meet him.

Others, too, made good use of the story. Andrew Sullivan, who writes from Washington for the Sunday Times, said Clwyd's report showed that "leading theologians and moralists and politicians" ought to back the war. The Daily Mail columnist Melanie Phillips wrote of the shredder in which "bodies got chewed up from foot to head", and said: "This is the evil that the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Anglican bishops refuse to fight." In his recent book, William Shawcross wrote of a regime that "fed people into huge shredders, feet first to prolong the agony". And earlier this month, Trevor Kavanagh, the Sun's political editor, claimed that "Public opinion swung behind Tony Blair as voters learned how Saddam fed dissidents feet first into industrial shredders".

Nobody doubts that Saddam was a cruel and ruthless tyrant who murdered many thousands of his own people and that most Iraqis are glad he's gone. But did his regime have a machine that made mincemeat of men? The evidence is far from compelling.

The shredding machine was first mentioned in public by James Mahon, then head of research at Indict, at a meeting in the House of Commons on March 12. Mahon had just returned from northern Iraq, where Indict researchers, along with Clwyd, interviewed Iraqis who had suffered under Saddam. One of them said Iraqis had been fed into a shredder. "Sometimes they were put in feet first and died screaming. It was horrible. I saw 30 die like this ..." In subsequent interviews and articles, Clwyd said this shredding machine was in Abu Ghraib prison, Saddam's most notorious jail. Indict refuses to tell me the names of the researchers who were in Iraq with Mahon and Clwyd; and, I am told, Mahon, who no longer works at Indict, "does not want to speak to journalists about his work with us". But Clwyd tells me: "We heard it from a victim; we heard it and we believed it."

This is all that Indict had to go on - uncorroborated and quite amazing claims made by a single person from northern Iraq. When I suggest that this does not constitute proof of the existence of a human shredder, Clwyd responds: "Who are you to say that chap is a liar?" Yet to call for witness statements to be corroborated before being turned into the subject of national newspaper articles is to follow good practice in the collection of evidence, particularly evidence with which Indict hopes to "seek indictments by national prosecutors" against former Ba'athists.

An Iraqi who worked as a doctor in the hospital attached to Abu Ghraib prison tells me there was no shredding machine in the prison. The Iraqi, who wishes to remain anonymous, describes the prison as "horrific". Part of his job was to attend to those who had been executed. Did he ever attend to, or hear of, prisoners who had been shredded? "No." Did any of the other doctors at Abu Ghraib speak of a shredding machine used to execute prisoners? "No, never. As far as I know [hanging] was the only form of execution used there."

Clwyd insists that corroboration of the shredder story came when she was shown a dossier by a reporter from Fox TV. On June 18, Clwyd wrote a second article for the Times, citing a "record book" from Abu Ghraib, which described one of the methods of execution as "mincing". Can she say who compiled this book? "No, I can't." Where is it now? "I don't know." What was the name of the Fox reporter who showed it to her? "I have no idea." Did Clwyd read the entire thing? "No, it was in Arabic! I only saw it briefly." Curiously, there is no mention of the book or of "mincing" as a method of execution on the Fox News website, nor does its foreign editor recall it.

Other groups have no recorded accounts of a human shredder. An Amnesty International spokesman tells me that his inquiries into the shredder "drew a blank". Widney Brown, the deputy programme director of Human Rights Watch, says: "We have not heard of that particular form of execution or torture."

It remains to be seen whether this uncorroborated story turns out to be nothing more than war propaganda - like the stories on the eve of the first Gulf war of Iraqi soldiers in Kuwait taking babies from incubators and leaving them to die on hospital floors. What can be said, however, is that the alleged shredder provided those in favour of the war with a useful propaganda tool. The headline on Clwyd's story of March 18 in the Times was: "See men shredded, then say you don't back war".

· Brendan O'Neill is the assistant editor of spiked. A longer version of this article appears in this week's Spectator

http://www.guardian.co.uk/analysis/story/0,3604,1155399,00.html

It must not have been very good pre-war propaganda since I never even heard of it till now.

Still, I wonder if this actually HAS been used as a means of execution at some point in some place.

There were persistent rumours that Capt. Robert Nairac (sp?) who was captured by the IRA was disposed of through an industrial mincing machine.

some comments on the "human grinder" that was supp

To all:

This all has takes on rather the aspect of the Nayirah affair.

If you remember to the first Iraqi incursion, just following the Iraqi move into Kuwait, a similar effective outbreak of propaganda took place. This was in the form of a girl who gave the name of "Nayirah". If you look up details on the internet, you could get material by looking under "Nariyah", "Nayirah", "Naira" and "Nayira". If you look under the name "Nayirah", though, you will, apparently, get the most information. She identified herself as a nurse in a Kuwaiti hospital.

She made her presentation before a body called the "Congressional Human Rights Caucus". It was there that she made the claim that she had personally observed Iraqi soldiers pulling premature infants out of incubators and "dropping them onto the floor". They, then, presumably, stole the machines and moved them to Iraq.

The press obligatorily parroted the account wherever possible. Trundling the story everywhere he could - along with accounts of Patriot missile reliability that 60 Minutes now reveals to be fraudulent - President Bush sanctioned the American entry into the conflict.

People who tend to use things like common sense, rather than mindless bloodlust and mob mentality, to help them ignore the fact that they've made a sodden, useless wreck of their lives, asked a number of cogent questions about Nayriah's account, though.

Among other things, they asked themselves, could Iraq, with all its oil, be so lacking in things like hospital incubators? The gleeful puppets would shoot back: "Hussein is so evil, he wouldn't let them have incubators, to save their precious babies!" To which the truly intelligent would ask: "Then why are they taking the incubators now? If Hussein doesn't care about his people, why is he supplying them with Kuwait's incubators?" Followed by the parrots shouting back: "What are you, un-American? How dare you endanger our liberty by questioning what you're told to believe?"

Those whose heads were good for something more than an echo chamber for "the party line" would also ask, even if the Iraqi soldiers did take the incubators, why would they go to the trouble of "dropping the infants on the floor"? It would have been no more difficult to just place them on nearby tables! If Hussein really did want to annex Kuwait, wouldn't he want the population to be as large, healthy and work-capable as possible? Too, there was a very real likelihood that, even though they lived in other countries, many of the babies could be children of distant relations of the soldiers! Would they have gone to the trouble of dropping children of distant cousins on the floor?

Too, the pat villainy of the picture was just too "Central Casting"! It sounded like a "Die Hard" or "Rambo" plot, to assign such characteristics to someone the public was so suddenly being called upon to hate. Someone the people were being told to consider worthy of any violence, viciousness and degradation at the hands of the military! Where was all this concern for inhuman practices before Iraq invaded Kuwait?

Where was all this concern for human rights before Iraq invaded Kuwait?

That was another point obvious to those who made "human being" stand for something more than just two arms, two legs and a hairy knob on top!

While the ambulatory disgraces to God's handiwork were busy screaming bloody murder - all the while trying to drown out the cry: "What have you done with your life?", inside! - those worthy of the name "human” were busy countering the charges against Iraq!

The result is in the history books. And is ripping participants' bodies apart, cell molecule by cell molecule!

Only recently, however, after the profit that seems to have been planned by the venture was obtained, have the facts come out.

Namely that, among other things, there were no verifiable accounts of children being taken from incubators and dropped on the floor, and the incubators being stolen by Iraqi troops!

"Nayirah" was not a nurse, had never been in a Kuwaiti hospital, and was, in fact, the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the United States!

The "Congressional Human Rights Caucus" wasn't even a real agency. It was an ad hoc collection of politicians, chaired by Democrat Tom Lantos and Republican John Porter. When there's money to be stolen, it seems the Democrats have no difficulty lying down with the Republicans! Lantos and Porter were also co-chairs of the Congressional Human Rights Foundation! Both were, apparently, front groups for the public relations firm Hill & Knowlton, set up to engineer realistic sounding support for evident profit-seeking initiatives mounted by their clients!

And their clients are, apparently, very much in need of image polishing, inasmuch as they seem to include both Turkey and Indonesia. After the Iraqi incursion into Kuwait, members of the deposed Kuwaiti government, awarding themselves the apparently calculatedly noble name "Citizens for a Free Kuwait", contracted with Hill & Knowlton to, evidently, make it look like they weren't trying to get their own corrupt administrations started again!

Nayirah was apparently drafted by Hill & Knowlton, under the auspices of Commerce Department member, Lauri Fitz-Pegado, after surveys by the Wirthlin Group indicated that something with a sympathy angle, involving babies, could muster significant support for American involvement in the Iraq-Kuwait situation!

Ms. Fitz-Pegado's operations also seem to have included presenting someone who identified himself as "Dr. Ebrahim" to the U.N. Security Council. Testifying there, "Dr. Ebrahim" claimed to have been a surgeon in Kuwait, who "personally buried 40 babies pulled from incubators by the Iraqis". When the general pattern of lies started to unravel, Ebrahim admitted that he was a dentist and had never buried any babies, or even seen any killed by the Iraqis!

Those who deserve to be called "human" were quick to realize that, even if babies were pulled from incubators, there were still any number of ways to keep them warm! They've been doing it for centuries! And Kuwait is a warm place!

And, for that matter, if the Iraqis were taking incubators, they would take doctors to treat Iraqis, too, not subject them to grunt work! There’s no way a doctor anywhere will put their hands on a shovel! And no one who needs a doctor to treat patients wouldn’t let them! There are those who will whine that “hindsight is 20/20!” That is, apparently, the dodge used by the weak-willed and weak-minded to avoid admitting just what a spectacle they made of themselves, buying into the patently absurd! This doesn’t take rocket science to figure out!

In much the same way, with, among others, the apparent quisling cooperation of the media, and the ready acceptance by those more than ready to defile God's creation, the same sort of instant, unsupported insipidity made the rounds just before the invasion of Iraq. Vitrius says they don't remember hearing the stories about the "human grinder" in one of Saddam Hussein's prisons, before the invasion, but, among other things, it was a centerpiece of an apparently self-seeking interview by Barbara Walters with some individuals who claimed to be Iraqi students, "seeking liberty"!

When Hussein's sons were butchered, evidently to try to calm indignation at the military of what is supposed to be the most enlightened nation in history acting like assassins, stories obligatorily started to crop up about how fiendish they were. One mentioned that one of Hussein's sons was "in charge of the nation's athletes", and, if any of them failed to win in the Olympics, they would have the athlete tortured. This was supposed to be an inhuman incentive to the athletes. Those who can tell left from right even after government tells them differently realized that, among other things, an athlete is one of the few in a country that has a history of managing physically challenging feats! That makes them valuable, and makes their physical soundness critical! If they fall short of winning by, say, .1 second, or a quarter of an inch, that doesn't mean they can't win the next time! It also means that they can still take home the silver or bronze! But, if they are physically damaged by torture, they won't be capable of even managing the bronze medal! Frankly, anyone who would believe stories like this is a disgrace to what it is supposed to mean to be a "human"! Frankly, to be that shallow of view is to have a questionable mental condition, since part of a normal human mind is to be able to see through patently unreasonable presentations! There are many who are, evidently, only just on the borderline of literal ambulatory psychosis.

So there weren't any babies pulled from incubators; there weren't any "weapons of mass destruction"; there wasn't any torture of athletes; there wasn't any "human grinder"! It's beginning to look like all of the protestations that "Hussein was a vicious, despicable individual" are questionable at best, if not downright false! When put to it to try to make something out of the sodden mess of evident fraud that led to the invasion of Iraq, the "gassing of the residents of Halabja" is conveniently trotted out. Except that, chemical analyses of the gas used there was similar to the form of nerve gas used by Iran, not Iraq! Too, witnesses testify to seeing jets with Iranian markings were seen over the village, just before the attack, and it was, after all, during the Iraq-Iran War! It seems like people would be doing themselves a favor by disbelieving absolutely everything that was used as an "excuse" for invading Iraq!

And this is more than just a matter of "I told you so". There is an essence to this, that impinges on your self-respect as a human being, more, a regard for your soul! Because another quality of a human being is to learn from their mistakes! That means to be able to perceive what, in your actions, was wrong, and the resolve to do better. And the ability to follow through on that resolve and actually manage to do better! To be sure, in the face of this demonstration of the evident palpable deceit behind the assault on Iraq, there will likely be many who will engage in the face-saving action of "finding the fault" in all the deceitful claims made before the attack on the country. But, with the arrival of the next bully powered pogrom, they will sell their birthright as a thinking being, and become just one pair of arms for the mob!

The chance is always there to learn from your mistakes! This is a particularly powerful case! If you are deceived, in the end, it’s not so much the one on the outside who fools you, it’s you who fools yourself!

Julian Penrod

Back to the shredder...

Apart from anything else, they had no need to use it. The only logical reason to use a shredder (apart I suppose from abject sadism and psychological torture) would be to destroy evidence, but as Hussein was not only above the law but his son commanded the police force, the need to cover up the existence of bodies was hardly pressing. Besides, there's a whole lot of desert there. Easy just to bury the dead somewhere remote, which is what they did.
That was another point obvious to those who made "human being" stand for something more than just two arms, two legs and a hairy knob on top!
Occasionally in the mire, there are gems to be found :).

julianpenrod: I assume that has been covered elsewhere around these parts.

Stu: I think that is the point - as we saw in Rwanda, Yugoslavia, even Year Zero its just not required. It was really only during the Holocaust that the 'industrialisation of death was thought necessary because of the sheer numbers involved.

Shredders and other methods of disposal (acid baths, etc.) are more the work of smaller scale killers who needed an easy way of getting rid of the body. I'm not sure how often shredders have been used - the only 'example' I can think of is the scene in Fargo where he is destroying a body using a wood chipper.

Emps

Like Vitrius, I don't remember the 'Human grinder' story, so it's possible it didn't get much currency outside the US news media.

I do remember the incubators story from Gulf War I, it always sounded dubious, and I wasn't entirely surprised when it turned out that it was probably propaganda.

I suppose it's all an attempt to demonise Saddam Hussein, but given the man's verifiable record of repression and torture it seems a bit unecessary.

Likewise, the son's seem to have been pretty odious without any need to blacken their image further.

The problem with propaganda is that when it turns out to be false it undermines the truth.

The "People-Shredder" story really didn't receive all that much attention in the US either. I think it may have been mentioned a few times, but nothing I really remember. I know of people who mentioned hearing about it, but I never did myself.

As to the Human Grinder; this piece of kit doesn't need to exist, if the population believes it exists, it will be just as useful (and a lot easier to clean), just like the ginger beer trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
on huge grinders... ther is a grinder ment to kill.. i remeber a story (maybe from FT) of a Dutch airport findign and illegel import of i think chipmonks or squirels of some kind (maybe 200 of them?)..any way the story was ended with the comment that they killed them all in a grinder/chipper at a Turkey factory.... yes they put unwanted turkey and chicken chicks in a big grinder and mash them to death..... a friend once refused to do some graphics work after seeing the production line in a turkey factory..the damaged or ill chicks went with the egg shells etc into a big crusher.

Would you be able to put people though a plastic shredder without wrecking it?

intaglio said:
There were persistent rumours that Capt. Robert Nairac (sp?) who was captured by the IRA was disposed of through an industrial mincing machine.

he was shot in a field by pissed RA men.

Back to the shredder

I know this thread looks a bit threadbare now, but I had to point out what seems to be a 'shredder' or 'processor' rumour phenomenon thats slipped everyones notice. For instance, haven't the same or similar accusations been leveled at both the Serbians during the conflict in the former Yugoslavia and the Nazi's in certain parts of occupied Europe during WW2?
In fact, there is an ever older example from the Napoleonic Wars. When Napoleon's troops invaded Spain they captured a castle that had been used by the Inquisition, and found a type of iron-maiden that once finished with it's victims, dropped them through a hatch onto a set of weighted blades that chopped up the body and disposed of them into a river or sewer that flowed beneath the castle. I have a good book on torture and execution, and it's in there, but someone has kindly 'borrowed' it, so I can't get any more info. Sorry!
:rolleyes:
Doesn't someone go through some sort of shredder in 'The Living Daylights'?

StellaBoulton: Good stuff - any, and all, details are much appreciated (when you have the available goodies, of course).

I think it is interesting that it has occured as a theme across history and, if it porves not to be true in the Iraqi case (as seems likely), it is a good example of tapping into those themes for their own purposes as it brings that feeling of industralised dispatching of people i.e. you are killing so many you need a more efficient way of disposing of them and it also implies a kind of bureaucracy of murder too.

Of course its always possible that it has also been used as propaganda on and off too - is there good evidence for the claims form Napoleon's armies?

Emps

Re: Back to the shredder

StellaBoulton said:
I know this thread looks a bit threadbare now, but I had to point out what seems to be a 'shredder' or 'processor' rumour phenomenon thats slipped everyones notice. For instance, haven't the same or similar accusations been leveled at both the Serbians during the conflict in the former Yugoslavia and the Nazi's in certain parts of occupied Europe during WW2?
Now yo come to mention it, yes I do remember something along those lines...
StellaBoulton said:
In fact, there is an ever older example from the Napoleonic Wars. When Napoleon's troops invaded Spain they captured a castle that had been used by the Inquisition, and found a type of iron-maiden that once finished with it's victims, dropped them through a hatch onto a set of weighted blades that chopped up the body and disposed of them into a river or sewer that flowed beneath the castle. I have a good book on torture and execution, and it's in there, but someone has kindly 'borrowed' it, so I can't get any more info. Sorry!
:rolleyes:
I think it ws Licence to Kill - yes, they go through a rock grinder. Another bloke dies by decompression chamber too - actually, it's probably the nastiest Bond film of the lot, in several ways. Sorry, OT.

Re: Back to the shredder

StellaBoulton said:
And who could forget the bit at the end of the film Fargo?

Re: Re: Back to the shredder

Fortis said:
And who could forget the bit at the end of the film Fargo?

Not me :p

Emperor said:
I'm not sure how often shredders have been used - the only 'example' I can think of is the scene in Fargo where he is destroying a body using a wood chipper.

Emps

Iron-Maiden-Shredder- German, not Spanish!

Found my book!!!!

Rack, Rope and Red-Hot Pincers, The History of Torture and it's Instuments.
Auth. Geoffrey Abbott, Yeoman of the Guard(Rtd.)HM Tower of London
Pub. Brockhampton Press, 1997

Spiked effigies in Germany

'There is no point in claiming to be a misogynist as one was dragged towards the Virgin of Baden-Baden. Ordered to kiss the figure, the trap door at her feet would suddenly open up, plunging one down onto the spiked wheel rotating below.
Nuremburg too had its Eiserne Madchen, its Iron Maiden or, as it was sometimes known, Virgin Mary. Described in Archeologia of 1838 as a figure constructed of sheet iron on a wooden framework, it had two folding doors in front. From the inside of one door protruded thirteen quadrangular poinards, the other door had eight. Two more at face level were clearly intended to pierce the eyes of the occupant(
:eek: -Stella), its design indicating that the victim would have been forced in backwards so that the daggers could do their deadly work.
One legend states that after some time had elapsed, an internal trap door would open, plunging the mutilated body into a stream flowing beneath the Falterkammer, the torture chamber. However Dr Meyer, the 19th century archivist of Nuremburg, believed that the victim's body dropped onto an iron rack which, by activating a pair of counterweights, caused a series of curved blades to interlock scissor-fashion, and so shred the cadaver. The mangled remains would then fall into the stream.'

Tasty!
There is an illusration, unfortunatly with no source, but it looks old. I will try and get it online. I got confused by the nationality, as ' Spiked Effigies in Spain' is the next subsection.
Although the victim's of the latter shredder were already dead, it is important to remember that to people of the period when the original account was published, having your mortal shell disposed of without a 'decent' burial was just as horrific as being chucked in alive.

Had a bit more of a look online into this topic and found some more stuff.
The Iron Maiden of Nurmberg was apparently distroyed during WW2, though I'm having trouble finding anymore info on the trapdoor and shredder. A version of it seems to have been a popular touring attraction during the late 19th century, and there is a decription of it in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, published in 1898. It could be seen at Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1892.
There is a nasty, related twist to this though, which I don't think has been on the forum before, but sorry if it has.

From TIME magazine:
Iron Maiden Found In Uday's Playground.
Saturday, Apr. 19, 2003
No profile of Uday Hussein, the psychotic elder son of Iraq's deposed dictator, is complete without a mention of his sadistic reign as Iraq's sports czar. In his capacity as head of Iraq's Olympic committee and also of its soccer federation, he is known to have ordered the torture of athletes who performed below his expectations.

A bad day on the field for a player on the national soccer squad could result in savage retribution: Players had their feet scalded and toenails ripped off for failing to win tournaments. Allegations of torture had even resulted in investigations by international sports governing bodies, most notably soccer's FIFA, but these had failed to produce conclusive evidence — hardly surprising, since no player would dare admit to suffering such abuse, for fear of even worse.

On Saturday, however, TIME found what may be the first tangible evidence pointing to torture in Uday's own backyard, the administrative compound of the Iraqi national Olympic committee in central Baghdad. Hidden in a pile of dead leaves, not 20 yards from the building housing the Iraqi Football Association, was that must-have appliance of every medieval dungeon: an iron maiden.

Around 7 feet tall, three feet across and deep enough to house a grown man, the sarcophagus-shaped device is essentially a large, metal closet with long spikes on the inside door that closes to impale its victim. Its name derives from its mummy shape and the beatific woman's face depicted on its headpiece. The one found in Baghdad was clearly worn from use, its nails having lost some of their sharpness. It lay on its side within view of Uday's first-floor offices in the soccer association. Ironically, the torture device was brought to TIME's attention by a group of looters who had been stripping the compound of anything of value. They had left behind the iron maiden, believing it to be worthless.

There is a pic here .

The Serbian and Nazi body processing stories were difficult to pin-point, as theres a whole ton of wierd revisionist and neo-nazi shite related to both. But Stu and I aren't hallucinating through too much time spent staring at a monitor, as I have tracked down some snippets.
The Nazi processing is horribly true, as shown during the Nuremberg Trials. It was soap and leather, though a 'machine' is mentioned by British POW witnesses. The whole disgusting business is covered in this court transcript here , on the Yale Law School site.
The Serbian story, as far as I can tell, though I could be wrong, seems to stem from the large mass graves found by French KFOR troops at the huge Trepca mining and smelting complex in Kosovo. After all, in his crappy efforts to cover up his atrocities during the last months of the Yugoslav conflict, there is a nasty chance that Milosovic was stuffing people through the Trepca mines machinery.
I now feel rather queezy, and will have to go and lie down.
:cross eye

I was in Amsterdam the weekend before last and could not resist
a quick browse around the Torture Museum as a corrective to so
many uplifting artistic experiences. They carefully avoid making
any claims for the authenticity of their exhibits but they have an
Iron Maiden there, chained up to avoid any repetition of the fate of a
character in one of the Dracula sequels who infuriates a bereaved
cat.

We noticed the chastity belt had gone awol from its box, too. :p

Personally I think this is a rather pointless article. So they haven't uncovered any people-shredding machines. I'm sure the troops out there have much more pressing concerns than scouring Iraq for machines of torture.
Surely any industrial shredding machine would do the job, it's not like they are going to have big 'HUMANS ONLY' stickers on them. And it wasn't like the original story said thousands were being pushed through these things. It was cases of extreme sadism that were being cited.
Seems that it is a pretty pathetic line to follow and a pretty poor waste of time by the journalist who has brought this up. The attitude of some in attempting to go out of their way to discredit any allegation made against Hussain and his regime is in my eyes akin to those who deny the holocaust.
Face facts, evil things happened to people who opposed Hussain's regime, even those who were just in the wrong place. If you cannot accept that without trying to disprove it at every turn in order to score points in the whole pro-war/anti-war thing then I pity you.

some comments on charges against Hussein

To all:

Those who fail to acknowledge the truth can come in two forms, those who refuse to admit what is right in front of them, and those who insist the existence of something that's not seen, and which even simple common sense denies could be. In the case of the "people shredder", especially as an extension of the apparently mandated hatred for Saddam Hussein and all associated with him - so necessary when "justifying" the theft of his country! - this becomes a tangible point of address, and not mere speculation on a subject. Toward this end, care has to be taken to go about establishing conclusions. Even in a case of stealing a nation's resources under the pretext of "toppling a madman", the truth has value, even above the petty mercenary gains that propaganda can provide.

For this reason, points brought up in this thread need examination.

For example, StellaBoulton gives an evidently uncritiqued airing of a Time magazine piece on Uday Hussein's tenure as "Iraq's sports czar". Apparently obligatorily, Aparisim Ghoshbaghdad, credited with the article, terms Uday "psychotic" - when you've slaughtered someone in a burning building, you're not going to toss around flowery aphorisms about them, afterwards! - and comments that "as head of Iraq's Olympics committee and also of its soccer foundation, he is known to have ordered the torture of athletes who performed below his expectations". For example, it is commented, a "bad day on the field" could result in players having "their feet scalded and toenails ripped off".

At some point, simple rational thinking has to come into play. Certainly, those interested in obstructing the truth will do what they can to doctor records, to keep you from realizing reality. It is up to you to recognize when the stories they give you are nothing more than a patent insult to your intelligence!

As someone supposedly devoted to ensuring prizes, why in the world would Uday destroy those very things that can bring those prizes? Scalding the feet of athletes makes it difficult for them to compete the next day, and certainly can get in the way of their maintaining an adequate training schedule! Thus imperiling their being able to compete well the next time! And toenails torn out can represent an even greater threat to competitive ability! And, with the evident threat of torture for failing to win games, how many new athletes will enter the ranks?

It's one thing if unscrupulous thugs toss around inane drivel to try to paint a murder victim in a bad light - desperately trying to make their assassination look "palatable"! - but just because they insult your intelligence by throwing pap at you doesn't mean you have to insult your own intelligence by eating it up!

Tellingly, the article goes on to admit that governing bodies for international sports investigated allegations of abuse by Hussein, "but these had failed to produce conclusive evidence". To try to put a believable blush on this, it is then commented that this is "hardly surprising, since no player would dare admit suffering such abuse, for fear of even worse".

But sports officials don't need admissions by athletes if all they have to do is look to see if their feet were scalded, or their toenails were ripped out! And these would be well-acknowledged events if, every time a team lost a match, the members of the team would disappear from the games and from training for the days or weeks needed for the "torture" to heal! If such absences did indeed take place on a regular basis, sports authorities would have investigated and found conclusive proof!

Which raises the issue of, if this behavior was supposedly suspected, why was it not a major topic in either Time or Sports Illustrated long before this?

It also brings up the point that Aparisim Ghoshbaghdad has their nerve claiming that Uday is "known" to have done these things, yet "no conclusive evidence" was ever obtained!

In the light of this, it comes as little surprise that Time magazine isn't viewed as much more than a rag! Add such things as that it hosts articles by Charles Krauthammer which, for example, praised maintaining tyrants and dictators, "as long as it's in the American interest", and an article about the Sierra Club actually had one member comment that they felt it was right to carve out wilderness for building!

It's, apparently, a truly weak mentality that would buy the stuff peddled against Iraq!

And that seems to go for the "people shredder"!

Why not just pull "Nayirah" and the "stolen incubators" out of retirement and just sell your soul and your right to learn the truth to them?

McAvennie takes a different tack, in addressing the situation. They refer to an article in this area as “pointless”. “So they haven’t uncovered any people-shredding machines”, McAvennie asserts diffidently, “I’m sure the troops out there have much more pressing concerns than scouring Iraq for machines of torture.”

There’s an old rule of thumb for defense attorneys. Even they readily depict themselves as having to promote points of view at variance with the prevailing information. The adage goes: “If the evidence is weak, pound the evidence; if the evidence is strong, pound the police; and, if the evidence is irrefutable, pound the table!” In many ways, this mirrors the prosecution of the Bush claims against Iraq and the Hussein regime.

When the military didn’t enter Iraq, and Bush and his cohorts could claim that what was coming out couldn’t be trusted, any assertions of the evident absolute deceit behind the idea of powerful weapons in the country were blasted as “irresponsible” and “unreliable”. Those with two brain cells to rub together knew, among other things, the immense requirements of becoming just a member of the “nuclear club”. A reliable supply of material is the least of it. And the idea of expensive constant testing. To say nothing of the fact, obvious from the dawn of the Nuclear Age that, in fact, as dangerous as they are, there’s nothing that makes their use worthwhile! Would you take the chance of polluting your own land for ages to come, just to win a few acres? A few acres of what would, then, become unusable property? The ruthlessly inane would posit the concept of an elaborate auto da fe immolation, in the event of impending conquest, Hussein planning to eliminate the entire country, if someone looked like they might conquer it. But, among other things, who would conquer a country possessing such huge stockpiles? A country with conventional weapons? If conventional weapons could conquer a country with such powerful weapons, why not just opt for stockpiling huge amounts of conventional weapons? And, for that matter, why destroy the country? Why not let it be overrun, then return another day and take it back?

In short, all the “arguments” for Iraq possessing huge weapons of massive power were unalterably inane and insipid!

The fact that no such stockpiles were found, after the country was invaded, only served to support the allegation that they were just lies launched by Bush to “justify” international piracy.

With the failure of the evidence to turn up, “pounding the police”, that is, condemning the interpretation of what was found, became necessary. Now, the matter of weaponry was summarily dismissed, and the “fate of the people of Iraq” was made paramount. Those who attacked Bush for his apparent defrauding of the public were now threatened with being accused of “condoning the abusive machinations by a vicious psychotic”! Counter-assertions would now be made of: “Are you saying you’re sorry the people of Iraq were freed from the brutalities of a madman?”

This, however, desperately needs proof of abuse by Hussein of his people.

And, no, Halabja - again, for those with two brain cells to rub together - does show signs of having been a gas attack by Iran, not Iraq!

No bid deals with Halliburton; indications that Bush was obsessed with invading Iraq, even to the point of painting unrelated occurrences as “proof” of Iraqi aggressions; and the failure to come up with evidence of patterns of torture now make that tack feeble to follow, at best.

Now comes the time to “pound the table”, that is, to invoke “principle” to the effect that even trying to assemble information is against decency and righteousness. Throwing out all the police evidence by asserting that higher ethics require addressing a different point altogether, and that the trial is nothing but a witch hunt.

And this is where McAvennie comes in. All of a sudden, failing to find any evidence of either mass weaponry or of brutality toward the people is “pointless”! It doesn’t matter that the very precepts on which the action was predicated are being demonstrated to have been lies, “there are much more pressing concerns”!

But the validity of an action is utterly dependent on the insurmountable legitimacy of its predicates! For those to fail is for the entire action to be disreputable! You can try to dismiss the importance of backing up those predicates all you want by trying to divert interest - “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!” - but that doesn’t change the absolute utter need for the causes of an action to be valid, in order for the action itself to be valid!

There are those who have taken issue with my finding fault with those who engage in evident disreputable methods, apparently to obstruct the truth. I invite these, then, to tell me what righteous good is accomplished by recommending that the deceived try to uncover evidence that they have been deceived! I also ask that they supply the kind of mindset that can proceed from a putative sense of well-meaning for all mankind, and honorably end up at the recommendation that proof of lies and treachery doesn’t need to be uncovered! And, until they do, the fact will remain that McAvennie, by their “argument” does demonstrate a palpable wish to obfuscate the search for the truth!

How many decent reasons can you find for a search for truth being demeaned as “pointless”, for someone using “more pressing concerns” as an “excuse” for keeping the people from learning that the rights of an entire nation have been violated by an apparent petty dictator, who sold out his office to the highest CEO bribe?

In their presentation, McAvennie does seem to proceed from the premise that whatever serves the man with the biggest gun and the least scruples is best. Since such an individual would, evidently, inevitably commit the greatest crimes against humanity, covering up those crimes would be next in line in that “ethos”. And, since completely whitewashing the evidence of wholesale butchery and corruption seems something that God prevents from ever happening, “diminishing” the search for truth to the point of inconsequentiality seems the handy fall back point!

Can you find a decent motivation for recommending that the search for truth be indefinitely [read: “perpetually”] postponed? If you cannot, then it has to be acknowledged that McAvennie’s statements do smack of corruption! There is an unfortunate tendency to overlook signs of turpitude! That is what led to Bush being allowed to proceed unhindered in apparently one of the most egregious crimes against the international community in recent history! But glossing over malignant pronouncements because of “freedom of speech” or the right to one’s own opinion” only allows the malignance to fester!

It should be mentioned, though, that condemning corrupt statements is not denying someone “free speech” or “the right to their opinion”, it’s merely calling a spade a spade and denouncing contemptuous sentiments, wherever they are to be seen!

Maintaining “etiquette” and “hospitality” is another reason promoted for holding back on condemning malignant sentiments, but that, too, seems only a veneer for the greater inhospitality of allowing ethically unacceptable statements to go uncountered!

To address another “reason” used to condemn my pointing out when unjustifiable statements are made, I have not “called names”! I have stated that McAvennie used ethically unacceptable precepts, but, if you can ethically validate foregoing the search for an apparently embarrassing truth of international criminality, provide it. And, until you do, you have to acknowledge that there is no reason to say it is ethical! I have said that it is unethical, and I said McAvennie did it, but I did not call McAvennie unethical. I give them the benefit of the doubt of thinking they had some “ethical reason” to suggest suspending the search for a politically imperiling truth, but it would be nice if they could say what that “ethical” reason was!

It goes without saying that StellaBoulton’s buying into the apparently insipid accusations concerning Uday Hussein’s “treatment of athletes” is, certainly, a discredit to her reputation. Weighing in convincingly on why it should be believed, or openly disavowing any evident credibility behind it, would do her reputation good!

“Seems that it is a pretty pathetic line to follow and a pretty poor waste of time”, McAvennie continues, “by the journalist who has brought this up.”

In other words, apparently, only promote those points that further the big money interests! What good is truth? How big a house can truth buy you? How fast a car can you get with truth? How much heroin can truth buy you? Truth is just “a waste of time”!

“The attitude of some in attempting to go out of their way to discredit any allegation made against Hussain [sic] and his regime is in my eyes akin to those who deny the holocaust [sic]. Face facts, evil things happened to people who opposed Hussain’s [sic] regime, even those who were just in the wrong place. If you cannot accept that without trying to disprove it at every turn in order to score points in the whole pro-war/anti-war thing then I pity you.”

Is it wrong, then, to “discredit any allegation made against” Hussein if those allegations are lies? That is a truly foul and malignant thing to suggest! But that seems what McAvennie is saying! Again, McAvennie seems to be proceeding from the premise that blaming Hussein of brutalities serves the machinations of the rich and unprincipled, so don’t depart from that line, no matter what! Proving him innocent of claims made against him would significantly threaten the success of the evident theft of his country by The Carlyle Group, so don’t do it! Money is better than God, remember that!

What noble purpose do you say it serves to treat finding the truth as “a waste of time”?

Tellingly, however, McAvennie, in their attempt to dissuade people from seeking the facts, invokes the Holocaust. I have never known it to fail when someone wants to engineer the direction of a discussion, or manufacture a “conclusion” to an “argument”, that the Holocaust gets brought in! If you deny a palpably fraudulent premise, apparently intended only to “justify” an act of patent criminality, the attempted perpetrator accuses you of “denying that the Holocaust existed”. If you insist on a premise for which there is evidence, and your opponent wants to skirt reality, and just ram “the party line” down your throat, without proving its legitimacy, they accuse you of “refusing to believe that the Holocaust took place”. Conspiracy theorists are casually defined as “historical revisionists who want to say the Holocaust never occurred”. Say anything that threatens some unprincipled thug’s plan to rape the public and they’ll say you “don’t accept that the Holocaust ever was”.

It’s gotten to the point that, among other things, just to bring in the Holocaust is all but tantamount to the fact that the speaker admits they have no facts to reason legitimately with, and so is resorting to “strong arm tactics” to “prove” their point. “So you’re saying you think it’s right to murder six million people?” Nothing more than this, it seems, really, is sufficient to prove the invalidity of every point McAvennie tried to make.

More than this, though, it has gotten to the point, with the Holocaust being the reliable standby for the unscrupulous in their putrid simulacrum of “argument” that it truly does seem questionable that the event did indeed occur! Birds of a feather do indeed flock together, and it is rare that anything genuine has ever been so regularly utilized by the unethical in unethical ways! Certainly, at least, it does strongly suggest that whatever did happen in Germany at that time is not the way they tell us! Of course, those who wish to maintain whatever gains perpetuating the standard retelling of the Holocaust yields, as well as those who want to use it to bully their way through “arguments”, will take instant umbrage and, out of the fear of having to argue legitimately, they will launch into an all-out assault on my character. They will equate asking the genuine question of whether we were told the truth of the affair with justifying killing millions of people! It’s not unlikely that McAvennie might be tempted to characterize me in foul ways. Trying to find out the truth about a scam that yields the underhanded trillions of dollars in profits tends to bring out that kind of response in the profiteers, as well as their apologists.

And this seems to be guaranteed in any venture, where the unscrupulous seek to gain by tinkering with the truth. When the evidence of their lies comes full circle, they seek to establish believing what they say without question as a fundamental of the universe, and to denigrate anyone who asks a question as evil and benighted. “Facts are funny things”, Ronald Reagan said, when the truth about Iran-Contra apparently started to leak out; “Truth is a waste of time”, McAvennie seems more than ready to counsel, when it threatens one of the biggest thefts of all time!

But finding the truth is what the Fortean site is supposed to be about. If there are those who seek to reverse the human spiritual imperative in themselves, and act to conceal the truth, rather than reveal it, then they have to be exposed as working in that direction. And, as much as it may be described as “not keeping a happy house” on the site, it must not be wavered from. Do you want a blandly content forum, with everyone saying what the unprincipled used their brutality to order them to think, or do you prefer a site that can claim actually having done something, to foster truth?

Julian Penrod

Julian Penrod you have totally lost the plot.

Does the word paranoid mean anything to you?

We all know that Saddam was an evil bastard.

We all know that Bush and Blair fudged the reasons for the war.

We all know that in war truth is the first casualty.

Who do you think you are preaching to?

Mr Penrod,

If you had the two brain cells that you mention in your posting, then you would realise that these forums are for the gathering of information and its discussion. At no point do any of us make any claims as to the veracity of the articles we post.
If you had paid attention to the information posted so far, you would see that a concerted effort is made to follow it up, and link it to similar events or historical precedents.
That is the spirit of the thing.

What would you prefer? A discussion of world events using information provided by a variety of sources, a blind acceptance of the politically laundered, media spin, or unconstructive, rampant paranoia(you seem to be pulling off the latter rather well)?

I suggest you get out more.

The shredder, sounds like a good device though I am not sure saddam used one.

Sorry, only just caught up with this thread... and sorry to drag it back OT for just a teensy moment..
julianpenrod said:
But finding the truth is what the Fortean site is supposed to be about.
Well, near enough - to examine hypotheses and maybe come to some form of concensus about the "truth", yes. It's extremely rare that we ever reach a unanimous conclusion about anything, though, but such is the nature of subjective opinion. So long as there's mutual respect thereof, the site functions very well, I think :).
ibid
If there are those who seek to reverse the human spiritual imperative in themselves, and act to conceal the truth, rather than reveal it, then they have to be exposed as working in that direction.
And these people would be...? Surely not people who happen to disagree with you...?
ibid
And, as much as it may be described as “not keeping a happy house” on the site, it must not be wavered from. Do you want a blandly content forum, with everyone saying what the unprincipled used their brutality to order them to think, or do you prefer a site that can claim actually having done something, to foster truth?
And just who are these unprincipled brutes, Julian? Come on then, let's hear it. No mod will edit your answer, I assure - and I for one would love to know just how this is apparently happening :).

Would a machine designed for shredding plastic have the capacity to shred a human body, bones and all?

I think it'd get clogged up pretty quickly and do more to slow the process of disposal than speed it up.

For a fascinating insight into what happens when a human shredder is used, read the novel "The Last Six Million Seconds" by John Burdett. It's a murder mystery set in Hong Kong, and....you guessed it...it revolves around a murder of someone who got placed in a human shredder alive.

Certainly Could Be Done.

River_Styx said:
Would a machine designed for shredding plastic have the capacity to shred a human body, bones and all?
I'd have reckoned more on one of machines that reduces tree branches and saplings to woodchips. That'd do the job.

Messy though.

Better still, one of those meat rendering plants they use in meat processing factories. I remember hearing several rumours about one place in the Cotswolds that had been used to turn several rivals of some gangster, or other, into pork pie filling.

Only rumours mind. Like this story, unless some proof turns up.

Back