The MMR Vaccine & Autism

A mother in the US state of Michigan has been sentenced to seven days in jail after she refused a judge's order to have her son vaccinated.

Rebecca Bredow would not let her nine-year-old be immunised after initially agreeing with the father to do so.

Her ex-husband has now been awarded temporary primary custody in order to get the boy the jab.

Michigan parents are legally allowed to skip or delay their children's vaccinations due to personal beliefs.

But Bredow fell foul of the law because she reneged on agreements with her former spouse dating back to November 2016 to have the boy immunised. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41504796#

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Here in the UK youngsters have been known to have the jabs their parents don't approve of, if the kids are judged to be mature enough to take that decision. Teenage girls have had the rubella and HPV vaccines, for example.

If this lad and his father both want him to have it then he's home and dry.

I'm a committed vaxxer. My older sisters didn't have them but I dropped lucky. My own kids were little pincushions.

If my parents had tried to prevent my having the vacs I'd've certainly had them anyway, but luckily the 'rents were keen.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
The vaccine thing seems to be particularly toxic (pardon the pun) in the US. I listen to a couple of "alternative" health podcasts from there as I am a sucker for punishment and they talk about it a lot. Though the woman who went on about the government putting Ebola in the flu vaccines went rather quiet when the expected Ebola epidemic failed to materialise (though it was okay for listeners as she sold a product to cure it). It does sound (if I can believe anything they say) as if there are perhaps rather too many that they are expected (by law?) to have.

Fears over another vaccine.

Fears over a dengue vaccine in the Philippines have led to a big drop in immunisation rates for preventable diseases, officials have warned.

Health Under-Secretary Enrique Domingo said many parents were refusing to get their children vaccinated for polio, chicken pox and tetanus.

The fears centre on Dengvaxia, a drug developed by French company Sanofi.

Sanofi and local experts say there is no evidence linking the deaths of 14 children to the drug.

However, the company had warned last year that the vaccine could make the disease worse in some people not infected before.

Dengue fever affects more than 400 million people each year around the world. Dengvaxia is the world's first vaccine against dengue.

The mosquito-borne disease is a leading cause of serious illness and death among children in some Asian and Latin American countries, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42929255

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
Here in the UK youngsters have been known to have the jabs their parents don't approve of, if the kids are judged to be mature enough to take that decision. Teenage girls have had the rubella and HPV vaccines, for example.

If this lad and his father both want him to have it then he's home and dry.

I'm a committed vaxxer. My older sisters didn't have them but I dropped lucky. My own kids were little pincushions.

If my parents had tried to prevent my having the vacs I'd've certainly had them anyway, but luckily the 'rents were keen.
My older kids had it all because I believed in herd immunity back then, quite passionately, too. The three younger kids had most but not all the vaccines, because of No 2 developing autism post the MMR vaccine - and being one of a group of kids who developed it from that very batch of the vaccine. As I posted above, a pattern emerged of groups of kids being affected by specific batches. But, IIRC, there were two or three manufacturers involved - it wasn't just rogue batches of one manufacturer's vaccine. And that fact, on its own, was enough for me to swerve the MMR on my younger kids.

They all know what they have and haven't had - and why. And they currently range between 15 - 23; the older two have chosen not to have the vaccination in adulthood. Although it's my view it would now pose no risk to them, as the etiology seemed to be, that the vaccine was administered precisely at the time babies/toddlers are having certain neurological developments and older siblings vaccinated even from the same batch, on the same day, were unaffected.

I am glad my older sons have so far chosen not to remediate but of course, if they should in the future, I will totally support their decisions, of course, cos they're adults.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
As I've mentioned, when the MMR came out we happened to be in the right place at the right time for my youngest to be offered it on the spot, and I gratefully accepted.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
When I was a child my mother didn't really vaccinate us, she felt it was better we just got sick and developed immunity that way. 2 of us 4 kids ended up autistic.

The antivaxxers are also against the HPV Vaccine.

Journal retracts paper claiming neurological damage from HPV vaccine
By Dennis NormileMay. 11, 2018 , 12:25 PM

Scientific Reports this morning retracted a controversial paper claiming to show that mice given a human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine showed signs of neurological damage. The paper was assailed by critics as being "pseudoscience" that could have "devastating" health consequences by undermining public confidence in a vaccine given to girls to prevent cervical cancer.

"I'm pleased that finally they did manage to retract it, but it was a very long process," says Alex Vorsters, a molecular biologist at University of Antwerp in Belgium. However, the controversy seems likely to continue. "The Authors do not agree with the retraction," the retraction notice states.

The paper, by a group led by Toshihiro Nakajima of Tokyo Medical University, was published online 11 November 2016. It describes impaired mobility and brain damage in mice given an enormous dose of HPV vaccine along with a toxin that makes the blood-brain barrier leaky. Shortly after the paper appeared, two groups separately wrote to Scientific Reports and its publisher, the Nature Publishing Group (NPG), pointing out problems with the experimental setup, the use of a dose proportionally far larger than what is normally given, the use of the toxin, and inconsistencies between the data presented and the descriptions of results, among other issues. ...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...ly_2018-05-11&et_rid=394299689&et_cid=2028171

Russian Trolls spreading disinformation about vaccines online.

Social media bots and Russian trolls have been spreading disinformation about vaccines on Twitter to create social discord and distribute malware, US researchers say.

Troll accounts that had attempted to influence the US election had also been tweeting about vaccines, a study says.

Many posted both pro- and anti-vaccination messages to create "false equivalency", the study found.

It examined thousands of tweets sent between 2014 and 2017.

Vaccination was being used by trolls and sophisticated bots as a "wedge issue", said Mark Dredze from Johns Hopkins University.

"By playing both sides, they erode public trust in vaccination, exposing us all to the risk of infectious diseases," he said.

Earlier this month, the World Health Organization (WHO) said cases of measles in Europe had hit a record high, with experts blaming this surge in infections on a drop in the number of people being vaccinated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45294192

Now the mullahs have joined the anti-vaxxers.

Indonesian ‘vaccine fatwa’ sends measles immunization rates plummeting
By Dyna Rochmyaningsih Nov. 7, 2018 , 3:05 PM

As the bell rang on a recent morning at an elementary school here and pupils filled the classrooms, anxious adults crowded the corridors outside. It was vaccination day, but many parents in this North Sumatra village did not want their children immunized with a new measles-rubella (MR) vaccine. Some told the teacher their children were at home, not feeling well. Others were there to make sure their kids didn't get the jab. They whispered the reason with disgust: The vaccine "contains elements of pork." By the time the vaccination team left, only six out of 38 students had been immunized.

Millions of parents around Indonesia have eschewed the vaccine in recent months, after Islamic clerics declared the MR vaccine "haram," or forbidden under Islamic law because pig components are used in its manufacturing. Vaccine coverage has plummeted as a result, alarming public health experts who worry that the world's largest Muslim-majority country could see new waves of measles and more miscarriages and birth defects resulting from rubella infections during pregnancy.

Indonesia has long used a locally produced measles vaccine as part of its childhood vaccination scheme, but coverage has been patchy, and until recently, the country had one of the highest measles burdens in the world, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Last year, as part of a WHO-led plan to eliminate measles and rubella globally by 2020, Indonesia switched to a combined MR vaccine, produced by the Serum Institute of India in Mumbai. The Ministry of Health launched an ambitious catchup campaign targeting 67 million children aged 9 months to 15 years. The first phase, in 2017 on the island of Java, was a success; all six provinces reached the 95% coverage target, and measles and rubella cases dropped by more than 90%. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...ly_2018-11-07&et_rid=394299689&et_cid=2474395

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Now the mullahs have joined the anti-vaxxers.

Indonesian ‘vaccine fatwa’ sends measles immunization rates plummeting
By Dyna Rochmyaningsih Nov. 7, 2018 , 3:05 PM

As the bell rang on a recent morning at an elementary school here and pupils filled the classrooms, anxious adults crowded the corridors outside. It was vaccination day, but many parents in this North Sumatra village did not want their children immunized with a new measles-rubella (MR) vaccine. Some told the teacher their children were at home, not feeling well. Others were there to make sure their kids didn't get the jab. They whispered the reason with disgust: The vaccine "contains elements of pork." By the time the vaccination team left, only six out of 38 students had been immunized.

Millions of parents around Indonesia have eschewed the vaccine in recent months, after Islamic clerics declared the MR vaccine "haram," or forbidden under Islamic law because pig components are used in its manufacturing. Vaccine coverage has plummeted as a result, alarming public health experts who worry that the world's largest Muslim-majority country could see new waves of measles and more miscarriages and birth defects resulting from rubella infections during pregnancy.

Indonesia has long used a locally produced measles vaccine as part of its childhood vaccination scheme, but coverage has been patchy, and until recently, the country had one of the highest measles burdens in the world, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Last year, as part of a WHO-led plan to eliminate measles and rubella globally by 2020, Indonesia switched to a combined MR vaccine, produced by the Serum Institute of India in Mumbai. The Ministry of Health launched an ambitious catchup campaign targeting 67 million children aged 9 months to 15 years. The first phase, in 2017 on the island of Java, was a success; all six provinces reached the 95% coverage target, and measles and rubella cases dropped by more than 90%. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...ly_2018-11-07&et_rid=394299689&et_cid=2474395

I 'liked' this not because it's likeable but to acknowledge how serious it is. A massive pool of infection.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
They whispered the reason with disgust: The vaccine "contains elements of pork."
Traces of pig-derived gelatine. There's a version of the vaccine available that doesn't contain it. I'm guessing Indonesia has access to that version. Here's the UK's MMR ingredients :

Apart from the active ingredients (the antigens), MMR vaccines may contain very small amounts of these ingredients:

• highly purified gelatine derived from pigs, used as a stabiliser (MMRVaxPro only; the other MMR vaccine used in the UK, Priorix, does not contain gelatine).
  • sorbitol or mannitol, used as stabilisers
  • polysorbate 80, used as an emulsifier (to hold other ingredients together)
  • recombinant human serum albumin, used as a stabiliser (MMRVaxPro only)
MMRVaxPro and Priorix may both contain traces of neomycin, an antibiotic used in the production process to stop bacteria growing and contaminating the vaccine.

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/mmr-vaccine

(also note : the MMR doesn't contain thiomersal/thimerosal (mercury) and never has, since the MMR is a live vaccine)