• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The MMR Vaccine & Its Alleged Risks

Sorry if similar info has already been posted, this thread is quite big, so I haven't read everything. This is a link from an article from McGill University regarding discussions about mercury and aluminum being used in vaccines: https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/healt...il&utm_term=0_995459bc2b-4e941c6aac-108263887
I know that I've heard the comments from public, in general, about mercury and aluminum being a health risk in vaccines and why they won't get vaccinated. Specifically, when I worked in healthcare and the flu season came around, people used this as a reason to not get the flu vaccine. This article is good because it explains exactly what was used and for what reason.

Sorry if similar info has already been posted, this thread is quite big, so I haven't read everything. This is a link from an article from McGill University regarding discussions about mercury and aluminum being used in vaccines: https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/healt...il&utm_term=0_995459bc2b-4e941c6aac-108263887
I know that I've heard the comments from public, in general, about mercury and aluminum being a health risk in vaccines and why they won't get vaccinated. Specifically, when I worked in healthcare and the flu season came around, people used this as a reason to not get the flu vaccine. This article is good because it explains exactly what was used and for what reason.
Good points in there. People would be a bit shocked if they tested their backyard soil or well water, I think. It's frustrating that people get overly concerned and focused on the wrong things. Some worry about strange things and yet smoke or eat an unhealthy diet which will kill you faster and more reliably. It's hard to keep up with all the horrible hazards that affect us in our abnormally long lives, isn't it?

More than 140,000 people died from measles last year as the number of cases around the world surged once again, official estimates suggest.

Most of the lives cut short were children aged under five.

The situation has been described by health experts as staggering, an outrage, a tragedy and easily preventable with vaccines.

Huge progress has been made since the year 2000, but there is concern that incidence of measles is now edging up.

In 2018, the UK - along with Albania, the Czech Republic and Greece, lost their measles elimination status.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50659893

More than 140,000 people died from measles last year as the number of cases around the world surged once again, official estimates suggest. Most of the lives cut short were children aged under five. The situation has been described by health experts as staggering, an outrage, a tragedy and easily preventable with vaccines. Huge progress has been made since the year 2000, but there is concern that incidence of measles is now edging up. In 2018, the UK - along with Albania, the Czech Republic and Greece, lost their measles elimination status.https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50659893
When parents let their children die because they didn't get them vaccinated, they should face jail and the permanent loss of custodial rights to their other children. Vaccination is a very cheap superpower.

Samoa warned it will not tolerate anti-vaccine misinformation on Friday, after a prominent activist was arrested for opposing a mass immunisation drive launched to contain a deadly measles epidemic in the Pacific nation.
At least 63 people, most of them children, have died since the outbreak began in mid-October and the country on Friday entered a second day of lockdown as it administers compulsory vaccinations in a desperate bid to stop the virus.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...nisation-drive-continues-191206010948814.html

Yes, that's what I mean.

Putting the Can't-Be-Vaccinated (at this time) at risk of the diseases is one of the many reasons I despise the antivax cult.

To be honest, I can't help thinking that if they want their own kids to die that's on them. Nothing we can do to save them. It's the risk to other people that's the problem.

Measles has been around for a long time. (If this fits in better somewhere else then perhaps a kind mod will move it.)

BERLIN—On 3 June 1912, a 2-year-old girl at the Charité University Hospital here died of pneumonia following a measles infection. The next day, doctors took out her lungs, fixed them in formalin, and added them to a collection of anatomical specimens started by Rudolf Virchow, the "father of pathology." There they languished for more than 100 years—until Sebastien Calvignac-Spencer, an evolutionary biologist at the Robert Koch Institute, came across them in the basement of Berlin's Museum of Medical History.

Calvignac-Spencer and his team took a sample from the lungs, isolated RNA from it, and subsequently pieced together what is the oldest known genome of the measles virus. Its sequence helped them shed light on a much earlier period in measles' history. In a study posted to the preprint server bioRxiv today, the team concludes that the virus may have entered the human population as early as the fourth century B.C.E., rather than in medieval times, as previous research had suggested.

The work is technically brilliant, says evolutionary biologist Mike Worobey of the University of Arizona: "Just being able to get the measles virus out of these old, wet specimens. That sets the stage for all sorts of exciting work." Monica Green, a historian of infectious diseases at Arizona State University, Tempe, calls the sequencing "very impressive" as well but says the study lacks enough data points to "provide decisive answers" about measles' emergence. The authors agree. They hope sequences from antiquity, preserved in naturally mummified or frozen bodies, may one day do so.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...-large-cities-rose-1500-years-earlier-thought

Interesting letter in the latest FT from a vet who says now certain people are refusing to vaccinate their pets, leading to many kittens disfigured, blind or simply dead. What exactly do they think they're saving the animals from?!

Back