• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The MMR Vaccine & Its Alleged Risks

Also, for the same reasons, I know what JCB stands for!

Anti-vaxxers would let a child die, armed police have to intervene. In a country with widespread access to guns, I believe the police action was justified.

With guns drawn, the police officers broke down the door of the suburban Phoenix home in the early hours of a February morning.

“Come out with your hands up!” an officer yelled, with the dark front porch and foyer inside suddenly flooded with light from the officers’ flashlights.

The target of the raid: an unvaccinated 2-year-old boy with a high fever. Video from the officers’ body cameras that was released on Thursday shows that moments later, the child’s father emerges, walking out backward with his hands over his head. The boy’s mother then comes out, too, cradling her young son in her arms.

The boy was whisked away to a hospital, and since that raid on 25 February, he and the couple’s two other children, aged 4 and 6, have been in the state’s custody. The parents have been charged with child abuse.

The child’s doctor, after learning Ms Beck had ignored the recommendation to take the child to the hospital and having follow-up phone calls to the family go unanswered, then contacted the Arizona Department of Child Safety. Asked to do a welfare check, police officers later arrived at the family’s door, but were not allowed in. The body camera footage released on Thursday shows the police twice knocking and trying to enter, before an officer reaches Mr Bryce by telephone just before midnight, and tells him that he needs to verify that their youngest child is improving.

An emergency court order was issued, allowing police to take the child into custody. The officers asked the family to leave their home and take the child to the hospital, the video shows. After two more unsuccessful attempts at knocking at the door, they reminded Mr Bryce that they had a court order and broke down the door, nearly four hours after they arrived at the home.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...UFmGWjdcIFyDoY84_RozB1dqYw#Echobox=1553964062

Anti-vaxxers would let a child die, armed police have to intervene. In a country with widespread access to guns, I believe the police action was justified.

With guns drawn, the police officers broke down the door of the suburban Phoenix home in the early hours of a February morning.

“Come out with your hands up!” an officer yelled, with the dark front porch and foyer inside suddenly flooded with light from the officers’ flashlights.

The target of the raid: an unvaccinated 2-year-old boy with a high fever. Video from the officers’ body cameras that was released on Thursday shows that moments later, the child’s father emerges, walking out backward with his hands over his head. The boy’s mother then comes out, too, cradling her young son in her arms.

The boy was whisked away to a hospital, and since that raid on 25 February, he and the couple’s two other children, aged 4 and 6, have been in the state’s custody. The parents have been charged with child abuse.

The child’s doctor, after learning Ms Beck had ignored the recommendation to take the child to the hospital and having follow-up phone calls to the family go unanswered, then contacted the Arizona Department of Child Safety. Asked to do a welfare check, police officers later arrived at the family’s door, but were not allowed in. The body camera footage released on Thursday shows the police twice knocking and trying to enter, before an officer reaches Mr Bryce by telephone just before midnight, and tells him that he needs to verify that their youngest child is improving.

An emergency court order was issued, allowing police to take the child into custody. The officers asked the family to leave their home and take the child to the hospital, the video shows. After two more unsuccessful attempts at knocking at the door, they reminded Mr Bryce that they had a court order and broke down the door, nearly four hours after they arrived at the home.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...UFmGWjdcIFyDoY84_RozB1dqYw#Echobox=1553964062
Tragic situation for the kids, but how can parents refuse to get help for their very sick child? I can understand that times before vaccines that people were helpless to protect their children. I bet that if those people were able to bring themselves forward in time to help out their sick child, they would. Sad irony is that we have preventative medicine and people refuse to use it; whereas, those that didn't have it would have jumped at the chance to save their child.

Karma!

A US teenager who took legal action against his school after he was banned for refusing the chickenpox vaccination now has the virus, his lawyer says.

Jerome Kunkel, 18, made headlines last month after he unsuccessfully sued his Kentucky school for barring unimmunised students amid an outbreak. His lawyer, Christopher Weist, told US media that the teen's symptoms developed last week. The student had opposed the vaccine on religious grounds. His lawsuit argued the vaccine is "immoral, illegal and sinful" and that his rights had been violated.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48205523?ocid=socialflow_twitter

It seemed virtually inevitable that I would be thrown out of AutismOne, a yearly conference that has been accused of being a hive of anti-vaccine sentiments, bad science, scaremongering and worthless products. The conference has, after all, ejected several science bloggers who have previously attended, as well as a Chicago Tribune journalist, a filmmaker, and a representative from the California Department of Public Health. Also, I did not have a press pass.
I will spare you the suspense: I was thrown out of AutismOne. Specifically, I was politely taken out of a lecture by an ex-police officer working security, stripped of my attendee badge, and accused, wrongly and at some length, of working with a journalist for NBC. They also gave me my money back.

https://jezebel.com/everything-i-learned-while-getting-kicked-out-of-americ-1834992879

It seemed virtually inevitable that I would be thrown out of AutismOne, a yearly conference that has been accused of being a hive of anti-vaccine sentiments, bad science, scaremongering and worthless products. The conference has, after all, ejected several science bloggers who have previously attended, as well as a Chicago Tribune journalist, a filmmaker, and a representative from the California Department of Public Health. Also, I did not have a press pass.
I will spare you the suspense: I was thrown out of AutismOne. Specifically, I was politely taken out of a lecture by an ex-police officer working security, stripped of my attendee badge, and accused, wrongly and at some length, of working with a journalist for NBC. They also gave me my money back.

https://jezebel.com/everything-i-learned-while-getting-kicked-out-of-americ-1834992879
The cult of anti-vaccination is a real thing.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in any thread but Russian propagandists appear to be behind sowing the perceived threat for things like vaccines and 5G cell phone networks. They wish to destabilize the acceptance rates for such things that could only be to their advantage. I say this with the knowledge that it sounds like a conspiracy but there is decent evidence for this. Just look at RT - the major spawner of fake news. (Really, don't.)

I was half-listening to the news and heard that Russian trolls and bots have been working overtime to spread disinformation (i.e. lies) recently. Not even sure if this fits in the conspiracy forum anymore, it seems to be accepted as fact.

It's not just their children these people are endangering, it's themselves and everyone else if they cause a serious outbreak of disease.
Yup, if they were just killing off their own progeny it'd be their private business.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in any thread but Russian propagandists appear to be behind sowing the perceived threat for things like vaccines and 5G cell phone networks. They wish to destabilize the acceptance rates for such things that could only be to their advantage. I say this with the knowledge that it sounds like a conspiracy but there is decent evidence for this. Just look at RT - the major spawner of fake news. (Really, don't.)
Definitely, I've seen all kinds of doomy stuff about 5G recently, and I can't figure out the logic other than 'ooh, fast networks bad'.
If somebody came up with facts and scientific basis for an objection, then I'd look into it.

I was half-listening to the news and heard that Russian trolls and bots have been working overtime to spread disinformation (i.e. lies) recently. Not even sure if this fits in the conspiracy forum anymore, it seems to be accepted as fact.

They've also been very busy destabilising European politics, but that's for another thread...

Yup, if they were just killing off their own progeny it'd be their private business.

Now, see, since my sojourn in the US of A I have become what they call a Libertarian. Individual freedom to choose should not be limited by government rules.

But the caveat on that is that what rules you have must draw a clear line at causing physical harm to others. Mental harm - grow your self a hide folks. It's only words - I had enough thrown at me and I'm still here. The anti-vaxxers endanger not only there own children - arguably they are allowed to do that because Christian Scientists etc. - not sure whether I approve or not but there are bizarre religious beliefs on every continent (except Antarctica) .

But, and this where in my opinion the law is entitled to intervene, they endanger other peoples children. Measles mumps and rubella are very nasty illnesses which can kill or cause what in modern terms are called 'life changing injuries' . People do not have the right to inflict that on others.

Now, see, since my sojourn in the US of A I have become what they call a Libertarian. Individual freedom to choose should not be limited by government rules.

But the caveat on that is that what rules you have must draw a clear line at causing physical harm to others. Mental harm - grow your self a hide folks. It's only words - I had enough thrown at me and I'm still here. The anti-vaxxers endanger not only there own children - arguably they are allowed to do that because Christian Scientists etc. - not sure whether I approve or not but there are bizarre religious beliefs on every continent (except Antarctica) .

But, and this where in my opinion the law is entitled to intervene, they endanger other peoples children. Measles mumps and rubella are very nasty illnesses which can kill or cause what in modern terms are called 'life changing injuries' . People do not have the right to inflict that on others.

Exactly. Of course, parents who'll willingly refuse to protect their own children from disease certainly don't care about other people's.

quite often it comes from a place of arrogance, a certain type of parent will feel they know better than doctors and other professionals ... this mentality also related to poor homeschooling decision-making

quite often it comes from a place of arrogance, a certain type of parent will feel they know better than doctors and other professionals ... this mentality also related to poor homeschooling decision-making

There also seem to be more reports of parents refusing to have their children registered at birth. That's a way to avoid contact with the State and of course keep control over the child.

i notice a lot of women sport upper arm scars from vaccination, dont see it on guys ? but then i do see more female upper arms ...

Hmmm, Mr Zebra has a vaccination scar on his upper arm, whereas I don't. :) (that's just a small sample though!) ...

Sorry if this has already been answered. I thought that the six holes scar was from the smallpox vaccine (also referred to as BCG, though I don't know what it means), which apparently hasn't been done since early 70's because it'd been eradicated world wide. Which is scary in itself as, if smallpox were to show up today, no one has been vaccinated and those of us who had been probably have no immunity to it either.

... I understood it to be a smallpox vaccine scar (but I could be wrong).

However, it is important that individuals can investigate vaccine safety without being called “anti-vaxxers", we wouldn’t call individuals who investigate automobile safety or aircraft safety anti- car or anti-aviation would we?..... How silly would that be?

Well said. :nods:

Hmmm, Mr Zebra has a vaccination scar on his upper arm, whereas I don't. :) (that's just a small sample though!) ...

... I understood it to be a smallpox vaccine scar (but I could be wrong).

Well said. :nods:

I too have a smallpox vaccine scar on my upper left arm. I got this in 1976 for international travel when such things were still required (the doctor would prick your arm a number of times and drop the serum onto it, hence the scarring). I remember having a thin yellow book showing what you had been vaccinated/inoculated against that you needed to show when passing through immigration. Cholera & typhoid where often necessary too and malaria tablets were horrible but necessary depending where you ventured. Never had yellow fever inoculations, but that was the other big one back in the day.

Last edited:
I got that little yellow book when I got vaccinated before my recent trip to South America.

Our eldest son spent 10 weeks travelling around South America before bandits robbing the bus he and his friends were on in Bolivia and dysentery cut the holiday short. He only returned 6 weeks ago but has now taken himself off to China & Japan for a month. He's a doctor so I'll ask him what vaccinations he took (required or otherwise) when I next speak with him.

Our eldest son spent 10 weeks travelling around South America before bandits robbing the bus he and his friends were on in Bolivia and dysentery cut the holiday short. He only returned 6 weeks ago but has now taken himself off to China & Japan for a month. He's a doctor so I'll ask him what vaccinations he took (required or otherwise) when I next speak with him.

Hopefully his next trip is less eventful than the previous one...:wide:

Hopefully his next trip is less eventful than the previous one...:wide:

They were only 10 days away from coming home, but the theft of a passport, not his, one of the others which was mysteriously returned by the police three days later and illness made the decision for them to cut it short. Up till then it had all gone smoothly.

Back