• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Thats it. But more overgrown

How do I post pics?
See that Attach Files button down there? Click that and browse for the photo.
Then click in the text box where you're typing the message.
Then on the little image at the bottom, click on Insert then click the Full image button:
smallimage.png

For the benefit of our non-US Fortean Brethren: In the US, if a phone number is not used and is disconnected, after a time (this used to be ten years but I don't know what it is currently), the phone number is assigned to a different customer. So, even if this Mojave phone number rings now, it may not be in the phone booth in the desert.

In the US, phone numbers can be assigned or reassigned to any geographic location in the area code, if it is a "landline." Or, to any customer who wants a cellphone initiated in that geographic area. After the cellphone is set up, the customer can use it anywhere service is available. A landline number is not permanently attached to a building or street address.

The US has multiple service providers, both for landlines and cell phones. I do not know how the potential numbers are divided up or how they are kept track of. For the traditional landlines, there are only a limited set of possible numbers in any area code: 10 to the 7th for the US local number designation of xxx-xxxx. Once that maximum number looms close in actual assignments, a new area code is initiated and the landline numbers are divided into the new geographic areas.

When I first lived in Arizona 40 years ago, the entire state had a single area code. Now it has multiples because the population has increased, and the number of phones per person, street address, or business entity has increased.
Everyone knows that American phone numbers start 555 so we're half way there.....

Go to your 'pictures' or wherever you have stored your photo. Open it and right click. Then click on 'resize image' and you will get a list of four options. One will probably be highlighted- (it's usually 'best for profile pictures and thumbnails') - click on that, save it and try it again.
That's exactly how I do it!
As for phone booths, there is one left inside a pub around the corner from us, with the door and everything, doesn't work.
The owner has been offered a fortune for it, but it's somewhat connected to the wall, almost impossible to remove now.
And it's a dial phone! LOL

There are still "live" public phone boxes in UK. saw 1 a couple of weeks ago on the coastal path near Mawnan Smith.
Suspect they survive in areas of poor reception.
I wish I lived down your way. Lovely.

I'm reminded of an anecdote told to me by an old friend who used to go on quite adventurous holidays. One time, he spent a month trekking around North Africa into the fringes of the Sahara with a handful of fellow travellers and tuareg guides.
One time, they made an early start to cross an area of dry, broken ground before the temperature peaked. After a time one of the travellers started laughing loudly and were soon joined even by the guides. In the middle of the area - sand (of course), rocks and scrub - there was a standpipe and tap!
They paused in their journey for photographs etc. Of course it wasn't connected at all - some joker had dragged the pipe and tap a while before and just hammered it into the ground. The Tuaregs found this hilarious but denied that they had anything to do with it.

See that Attach Files button down there? Click that and browse for the photo.
Then click in the text box where you're typing the message.
Then on the little image at the bottom, click on Insert then click the Full image button:
View attachment 64330Why no "Kill Bob" booths? Why no "Thank Heaven For No Shirley Booth" Booths?

Back