• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Moors Murderers: Ian Brady & Myra Hindley

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
From AOL News-

'BRADY 'PLANNING TO TAKE REVENGE ON HINDLEY'

IAN BRADY is reportedly planning to take revenge from the grave on Myra Hindley for claiming he forced her to take part in killing five children.

The London Evening Standard reports he has ordered the release of coded letters from her which cast doubt on her claims. But the paper says they will only be made public after he dies.

According to the Evening Standard Brady has been preparing for his death, his funeral and the disposal of correspondence from Hindley that has remained under lock and key for 36 years.

He has reportedly issued instructions to his solicitors about his funeral and the disposal of the papers.

Benedict Birnberg, the executor of his will, says Brady has given him letters written to him by Hindley before their trial in 1966.

The paper claims the correspondence includes letters written to him in code in which it's alleged that Hindley advocates inflicting pain on children.

Hindley has lodged an application with the European Court of Human Rights against her "whole life" prison tariff.

She has argued that successive Home Secretaries were acting beyond their powers by ordering she spend the rest of her life behind bars.'

For once, words fail me.

I used to have nightmares about those two when I was a child. Their crimes were just too disgusting to contemplate. Hindley should realise that any home secretary who authorises her release will not only be committing political suicide but also be signing her death warrant. Lesley Ann Downeys family have always vowed to kill her if she was ever released, and to be honest, i don't blame them in the slightest. I don't think you'd find a jury to convict them if they did.

The sick #@*! can't just let it be can he? His attutude shows he hasn't owned up and taken personal responsability for his vile acts himself. Pointing the finger at someone else takes the heat off doesn't it?What are these letters going to do when released other than drag everything up publicaly for the victims families again. In a sick and twisted way, that means he still has control over their emotional lives. He's either to dumb to realise this or rubbing his evil hands with glee.
One public opinion I do dissagree with though, is the notion for a death penalty for him (though I accept I'm not connected to his crimes and might feel differently otherwise.). THis is because we have no conclusive proof of what the afterlife really is like. All the time he's rotting away in prison, which he absolutely hates, is pennance in my eyes. It may sound sick, but at least he's suffering too in some way.

I'm surprised at Wilson but not so much Sotos.
I like true crime books (looking forward to reading Sereny's Mary Bell book which I picked up yesterday) but would not read this one on principle.

Not because Brady is a murderous paedophile, though that's good enough reason, but because he can't have anything new to say about the subject. All he can know is what he's read in books, so we'd be better off reading them ourselves.

Any original thoughts have already been expressed to the Parole Board or the tabloid newspapers.

We already know his Big Idea- raping and killing little kids makes you feel powerful- so his book isn't exactly likely to be a work of suspense.

I bet he misses Lord Longford.

Actually, Brady's book isn't about his crimes - it's his take on serial killers in general - what makes them kill and so forth - so it might be worth looking at.
And he never liked Lord Longford. So that's a point in his favour.

Myra Hindley's health deteriorates

Couldn't happen to a nicer person in my opinion. I used to have full on, screaming nightmares about her when I was a kid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2480205.stm

The health of Moors murderer Myra Hindley, who has been in hospital with a chest infection, has deteriorated.
Hindley, 60, was taken to West Suffolk Hospital at Bury St Edmunds with a suspected heart attack at the beginning of the month.

She was admitted again on 12 November and is said to be gravely ill.

Hindley, who also suffers from angina and osteoporosis, was being held in nearby Highpoint Prison in Suffolk.

She was jailed for life in 1966 for murdering two children with her lover Ian Brady, and has since confessed to killing two more.

She struck me as a very emotionless, very cold person... there were no really genuine signs of remorse

Mark Leech

Hindley has made a number of legal bids for freedom, but has been told she will never be released from Highpoint.

She suffered a suspected heart attack earlier this month and was found collapsed in her cell at Highpoint, it was reported.

It was also reported that Hindley was being given free nicotine patches in an attempt to stop her 40-a-day smoking habit.

Abuse

Brady and Hindley's crimes of sexual abuse, torture and murder of children shocked the nation.

Lesley Ann Downey, 10, John Kilbride, 12, Keith Bennett, 12, and Pauline Reade, 16, were all sexually assaulted before their deaths at the hands of the couple.

The victims
Lesley Ann Downey, 10
John Kilbride, 12
Keith Bennett, 12
Pauline Reade, 16
Edward Evans, 17
Their bodies were buried on Saddleworth Moor, near Manchester.

The pair's final victim was 17-year-old Edward Evans, who was lured from a gay bar to the home shared by Hindley and Brady.

He was murdered in front of Hindley's 17-year-old brother-in-law, who alerted the police.

Successive home secretaries including David Blunkett have always said that in Hindley's case, a life prison sentence should mean life.

But in October the House of Lords began hearing a case which could overturn politicians' rights to set minimum sentences for criminals.

The Law Lords heard that Mr Blunkett should fall into line with recent European rulings and accept that tariffs should be set by the judiciary.

That would put Hindley's fate in the hands of the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Woolf.

Hunger strike

Brady, now 64, is currently being held at the high security Ashworth Hospital on Merseyside.

He has failed in several legal attempts to be allowed to starve himself to death.

Brady, now 64, is on permanent hunger strike

For the past three years, he has remained on hunger strike, and the hospital authorities have been feeding him through a plastic tube.

Mark Leech, editor of the Prisons Handbook and the inmates' newspaper ConVerse, spent three hours with Hindley in her cell at Durham jail in 1997.

He said: "She struck me as a very emotionless, very cold person... there were no really genuine signs of remorse.

"I recognise that she's changed, become a Christian and got a degree.

"But what she did over a two-year period was horrific and if someone who tortured and murdered five children doesn't deserve to die in jail, who does?"

But in 1999, Hindley's prison therapist Joe Chapman said Hindley had admitted her own guilt and become genuinely remorseful, even if in public she still tended to blame Brady.

"I think Myra was evil then but is not evil now," he said.

ghost dog said:
We should send her some grapes, with a note saying "Get well soon" signed Jack the Ripper ;)

Well I think she'll be most likely aiming for public sympathy in much the same way as Ronnie Biggs with his imminent death (is he still alive?)

And is Brodie still around?

Ronnie Biggs is dead IIRC

And do you mean Miss Jean Brodie? She's in her prime i think! :D

I find it very surprising that a therapist is actually using terms like"Evil"

Doesn't exactly seem that medically sound to me!

Re: Myra Hindley's health deteriorates

Adrian Veidt said:
.. what she did over a two-year period was horrific and if someone who tortured and murdered five children doesn't deserve to die in jail, who does?"
Nuff said

The Guardian is reporting that Hindley has received the last rites
and they will report further shortly.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_710408.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

Hindley has last rites read at hospital bed
Myra Hindley is believed to be near death after a priest administered the last rites at her hospital bedside.

Hindley was admitted to the West Suffolk hospital in Bury St Edmunds on Tuesday with severe respiratory problems.
She also suffers from angina and osteoporosis, although the Prison Service has refused to comment on her condition.
Hindley, 60, spent several nights at the hospital with a suspected heart attack earlier this month.
The serial killer has been serving her 36th year behind bars at nearby Highpoint Prison, Suffolk.
A legal bid for freedom by Hindley may now be defeated by her ill-health.
Commentators believe moves to strip the Home Secretary of his power to keep prisoners in jail could have led to her walking free.
A ruling by Law Lords on another case is due in December and some legal commentators believe Hindley could have been freed within months.
Before an operation for a brain aneurysm two years ago, Hindley is understood to have given orders to her lawyers that she was not to be kept alive artificially if she lapsed into a coma.
She also ordered that none of her organs should be offered for transplant if she died. Instructions were given for a cremation and for her ashes to be scattered at a secret location, it was reported.
Story filed: 15:09 Friday 15th November 2002

Someone I work with who is a devout catholic has just said "She doesn't deserve the last rites"

It's amazing how, when other crimes have faded from the memory, these can still stir up such extreme emotions in people, even after all this time.

Adrian Veidt said:
Someone I work with who is a devout catholic has just said "She doesn't deserve the last rites"

That's a good point, but I'm sure your colleague doesn't believe that her receiving the last rites is going to protect her from being judged for her crimes and then dealt with appropriately.

She also ordered that none of her organs should be offered for transplant if she died.

Jeeesh......imagine getting Myra Hindleys heart!

There's a story in there somewhere...hmm.....

*strokes imaginary beard in thoughtful manner*

6pm: The BBC has just announced the cow's dead.

Edit: I apologice for the derogotary use of the term "cow" in relation to the recently-deceased Myra Hyndley. Cows do not deserve to be compared to her.

Very few people in the world who I would wish dead and be happy if they were. But she was always top of the list.

If there is a judgement after death, I hope she's in the worst torment devised.

Gee, I wonder which picture of her they're going to run in the obituaries now. Anyone else notice they've been in prison for 36 years, and no one seems to have taken a new photo of them since their original mugshots?

So not many prayers for Myra's Immortal Soul then?

Understandable perhaps. I bet she could never bring herself to
forgive that hairdresser. :eek!!!!:

I Cant say i hated her! but atleast tax payers will save a few quid. (or maybe not)

I always thought he's go first , hes been trying to do himself in for a while now .

Marion said:
I always thought he's go first , hes been trying to do himself in for a while now .

It's knida sad.

You know your growing old when your bogiemen die.

I'm sure we'll find another personification of evil, it's Britain afterall.

I can't understand why they don't just let Brady die. Its not as if he'll croak about the whereabouts of Keith Bennet's grave now.

Susan Bulmer said:
I can't understand why they don't just let Brady die. Its not as if he'll croak about the whereabouts of Keith Bennet's grave now.

Meby because it's their duty to keep him alive?

Anyway I thought you where at the jukebox in the cocktale bar?

It was the smoking that killed her!

Allegedly she set herself alight while trying to light a cigarette, and as the firemen were on strike, there was noone to put her out;)

Back