• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Moors Murderers: Ian Brady & Myra Hindley

This whole chapter is just so sad.
Brady is still trying to control, the family still grieves. I think the body will never be found and - while the killers known and punished - he'll never have a decent burial.

Wouldn't the maps be police property anyway?

I'm assuming the guy never had permission to take them home, let alone stash them in his attic?

I'd have said that too. Someone'll grass him up! :lol:

escargot1 said:
I'd have said that too. Someone'll grass him up! :lol:

If the copper had have been say, early 20s, in 1965, then he'd be in his mid-60s at least now. How many coppers are still in the force at that age, haven't most of them retired? And how many times have we found out that retired coppers and coppers 'on the sick' suddenly become untouchable when it comes to investigations etc.? I've lost count the amount of times I've seen stories where coppers take early retirement and investigations grind to a halt.

[/tin foil underpants]

Close to home for me as I've lived in both Gorton and Ashton but, to be honest, I don't have a problem with this and I probably wouldn't even if there was no donation to a children's charity.

This eBay item will probably go for £1000 or so and compared to the amount of money the likes of the Manchester Evening News and the rest of the media have made out of the story over the years, particularly by 'sexing' the story up, then it's buttons.

I mean, what are the family meant to do, just burn it? Give it to the police so they can burn it as it's probably of little use now anyway? Give it to Winnie Johnson?

if you have something that isn't yours and you aren't mean to have it and you know who's it is... i don;t know, what are you meant to do?

the gutter press's sleezy behaviour doesn't have to set a precedent for anyone elses.

BlackRiverFalls said:
if you have something that isn't yours and you aren't mean to have it and you know who's it is... i don;t know, what are you meant to do?

Well, if it was important or valuable, then I'd return it. However, this is a 45-year-old map connected to a series of crimes where both perpetrators were imprisoned (one of them now dead), a map related to a search that is now officially over as far as the previous owners are concerned. It's not as if it's an important piece of evidence that's gone missing and it's not as if it's preventing a line of enquiry.

the gutter press's sleezy behaviour doesn't have to set a precedent for anyone elses.

No, that's a fair enough. But again, what's an alternative that would really make a difference to anything?

I have a very old Manchester A-Z here, with all the now-demolished streets where the moors murderers lived. Not valuable, but it did originally belong to a Manchester policeman. Has his name in. Wonder what part he may have played?

escargot1 said:
I have a very old Manchester A-Z here, with all the now-demolished streets where the moors murderers lived. Not valuable, but it did originally belong to a Manchester policeman. Has his name in. Wonder what part he may have played?

Is this pre-slum clearance Gorton, then? Is there any chance you could scan a page for me? Nothing ghoulish, just where I lived. It would be really appreciated.

Yup it is, which is why I like it, and I'll be happy to scan it! Been meaning to for a while, in fact. ;)

All I have to do now is dig it out of one of my many book cases. :lol:

But again, what's an alternative that would really make a difference to anything?

It's probably no odds if the police actually don;t want it back or couldn;t care less, but i think you know what i mean. it still technically belongs to them.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Wouldn't the maps be police property anyway?

That's a good question. If I buy a lot of old papers and discover therein hand-drawn battle maps prepared by General Patton and Field-Marshall Montgomery, don't I have the right to put them up for auction, even though they may be - very technically - the property of the American and British military forces?

Yup. Last time I mentioned finding an interesting old newspaper, I was ribbed about which of my sheds I'd found it in. :(

Well just as long as someone remembered to turn the tape recorder on.

:D That's the most tasteless remark on here since my much-reviled 2003 'Maurice Gibb or Pete Townshend' reply to the Who Would You Rather Be? thread? :lol:

What do we know about Myra before she met Brady? Was there any indication, no matter how subtle or vague, of the future criminal? Or was she one of those "unwritten slates" who was pretty much a blank before Brady scrawled on it? I'd appreciate any information.

OldTimeRadio said:
What do we know about Myra before she met Brady? Was there any indication, no matter how subtle or vague, of the future criminal?
She had a hugely deprived upbringing, a violent alcoholic father who beat her, and forced her to learn to fight (if she didn't he'd beat her even more.) IIRC she hospitalised another child when she was eight after he'd scratched her, and found it rewarded her self-esteem, even moreso as she got a reputation for being hard. She loved being feared.

So no, she was already borderline sociopathic before she met Brady.

Anonymous said:
I find it very surprising that a therapist is actually using terms like"Evil"

Doesn't exactly seem that medically sound to me!

I'm afraid you may be a little bit behind the times. As I recall, "Evil" came back into psychiatry with a bang 37 years ago with the publication of "Whatever Became of Sin?" by the famous American psychiatrist Dr. Karl Menninger (1893-1990), co-founder of the Menninger Clinic and the Menninger Institute.

It's also worth mentioning that several FBI and other first-rank criminologists and forensic scientists, all in comparatively recent years, had their homes and offices blessed after in-depth dealings with dozens of serial murderers. One of them on retirement spent several months in a Christian monastery before venturing out into the larger world again. You may or may not believe in Evil, but these veterans from the trenches obviously do.

I remember reading somewhere that the night Gacy died, Robert Ressler was awake in his study. Suddenly, he was overwhelmed with a sense of evil, lights flickered (not sure about any cold breezes or anything), but when he looked at the clock, he realised it was the moment when Gacy was due to die (and indeed, had died).

Can't remember where I read it though.

According to the wiki page on Gacy, his execution was delayed by 10 minutes due to the guys fluffing up the IV, then took 18 minutes to complete.

Still a good story though :D

BlackRiverFalls said:
Still a good story though :D

The version I read nearly 10 years ago was (supposedly) Ressler's first person testimony.

He had been participating in some type or forensics seminar in Tennessee and raced back to his hotel room to get the details of Gacy's execution.

When Ressler entered the room the television was turned on and tuned to the station he desired. The set had been turned off when he'd left that day for the seminar.

Suddenly Ressler felt invisible hands around his throat, attempting to strangle him. A large, fleshy body, equally invisible, pressed him hard down against the bed.

The attack stopped as suddenly as it had begun. A voice from the TV speaker then announced that Gacy had just died.

Ressler commented that "John apparently stopped by to say 'Hello' on his way to Hell."

OldTimeRadio said:
Ressler commented that "John apparently stopped by to say 'Hello' on his way to Hell."

That's the version I heard as well. I remember reading it somewhere, but I also saw it in a television programme, where Ressler told the story himself.

Seems strange for someone like Ressler to believe in the existence of Evil. Intriguing.

Image of Myra Hindley appears on the side of a fridge

Apologies if already posted but couldn't see it:
This chilling image of Myra Hindley which appeared on the side of a family’s fridge was enough to send a shiver down their spine.

Debby Evans' blood ran cold when she noticed the eerie resemblance to the Moors murderer in a picture she took of the optical illusion.

She said: ‘It was very strange – very spooky.

‘I looked through to the kitchen and had to look again. I didn’t really believe what I saw. As you move your head you couldn’t see the picture, but then as you moved it back it reappeared.
‘It wasn’t really until we took the photograph that everyone went "oh my God". As soon as we looked at the photograph we thought it looked like Myra. And then we got spooked massively all night.’

Debby, 44, who moved from Kent to work for Club La Costa on the Costa del Sol in Spain, uploaded the photo to Facebook.
Shocked friends soon commented on the striking resemblance to infamous Hindley, who together with her lover Ian Brady, tortured and killed five youngsters between 1963 and 1965 around Greater Manchester.

‘I just put a face has appeared on my fridge and then the comments were constantly “oh look how spooky that it”.

'I didn't write anything other than here's a picture of a face I saw on my fridge, but most people instantly posted comments saying they thought it was Myra.’

‘I don’t know whether it appeared just because of the way the light was shining through door, or if it’s the light at a certain time. But I’m thinking about getting the fridge moved if she keeps appearing.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ge-Moors-murderer-appears-familys-FRIDGE.html

Ha excellent thing to find on your fridge. Dont see the immediate Myra Hindley connection though-could just as easily be Fay Wray or (at a push) Betty Grable.

Looks nothing like Myra Hindley, but it does look kinda spooky.

Interestingly, I can clearly see two faces - one where the bit to the right is the side of a short hairdo, and one where it's a nose. Scary eye.

I saw the dark haired face to the right before I saw the other one. The shared eye is indeed quite creepy!

I'd be moving the fridge too :wince:

Fluttermoth said:
I saw the dark haired face to the right before I saw the other one. The shared eye is indeed quite creepy!

I'd be moving the fridge too :wince:

Agree on both observations, especially about moving the fridge.

If it wasn't for the eye it would look like nothing more than a shapeless form.

Back