• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Moors Murderers: Ian Brady & Myra Hindley

Hindley was cremated and her ashes scattered on the moors. There was a photo in the tabs at the time of a shrub with what looked like ashes tipped over it. That bush has probably been tracked down and WELL pissed upon since then.

Hindley was cremated and her ashes scattered on the moors. There was a photo in the tabs at the time of a shrub with what looked like ashes tipped over it. That bush has probably been tracked down and WELL pissed upon since then.
If it was up to me, his ashes would be chucked into a plastic shopping bag and just tossed onto a land fill rubbish dump.

If it was up to me, his ashes would be chucked into a plastic shopping bag and just tossed onto a land fill rubbish dump.

And then tell relatives and media that you cannot recall exactly which rubbish dump.

Brady is gone but he has been irrelevant for some time, in deteriorating health and frustrated in his attempts to control the narrative in the closing stages of his life.

I celebrate no man's death, but it is good that this story is over. Unless a body or a detailed confession turns up in the years to come (a last attempt at attention seeking?), the case will float away into the domains of folklore and crime studies, where it has mostly been for a few years now.

And then tell relatives and media that you cannot recall exactly which rubbish dump.

Brady is gone but he has been irrelevant for some time, in deteriorating health and frustrated in his attempts to control the narrative in the closing stages of his life.

I celebrate no man's death, but it is good that this story is over. Unless a body or a detailed confession turns up in the years to come (a last attempt at attention seeking?), the case will float away into the domains of folklore and crime studies, where it has mostly been for a few years now.
I'll be singing this today Yith .. then a quick prayer for the families ..

the case will float away into the domains of folklore and crime studies, where it has mostly been for a few years now.

Not where I live and work, it hasn't. I still meet people who knew the victims and the murderers themselves.

This came up when I did a shift a few weeks ago with a young woman who met some nice British people on holiday in Spain or somewhere, who asked her where she was from.
Gorton, they said, that's where Myra Hindley came from! Did your family know her? and she had to admit that Hindley had gone to school with her Gran.
She was amazed, she told me; while the murders are spoken of as if they happened yesterday back home, where the victims' families still live, she didn't expect them to be remembered on a sunny beach abroad.

I'm around the same age as the youngest victim and can remember the trial at Chester Castle being covered on TV and in the newspapers. The murdered children had been taken from 30-odd miles away from my home.
Didn't stop us kids playing out till all hours but we were sternly warned not to get into strangers' cars. (Most of us would have as we'd hardly ever been in one!)

Brady is rumoured to have left envelopes to be opened after his death which may contain information about where he buried Keith Bennett. This is probably rubbish, or if there really are envelopes the messages in them are useless. Brady's last sick joke. We'll see.

The Manchester Evening News website has a little video showing photos of the victims and their names. They are the people we should be thinking of, and their families.

Not where I live and work, it hasn't. I still meet people who knew the victims and the murderers themselves.

Quite right--I didn't consider the local perspective. I daresay for the rest of us, those untouched or unaffected, however, this now joins the ranks of the Jack the Ripper and the Boston Strangler

Quite right--I didn't consider the local perspective. I daresay for the rest of us, those untouched or unaffected, however, this now joins the ranks of the Jack the Ripper and the Boston Strangler
When I was at college, we had a mate who was a huge fan of Morrisey and The Smiths. We decided to take a fan road trip to Manchester to locations made famous by the band, Morrisey's childhood home, Strangeways, The Salford Lad's Club etc .... then our mate said we should got to the estate to the house that Ian and Myra committed their crimes.

We sort of understood how grave it all was but underestimated the local feelings, we also didn't know that the house had been demolished only a few years previously. When we arrived, I made sure to park far from the address and we all agreed to keep very quiet, not talk about anything connected to the crimes and no photographs or video were to be taken.

When we got there, there was an empty but tidy plot of mowed grass covered land where the house had been. We were about to leave when a young Mum jumped out of her front door with a few kids around her and started shouting abuse at us calling us ghouls, sick and telling us to piss off etc which we shamefacedly did instantly ... in retrospect, I regret going there .. it must be horrible for the people on that street ..

After that, our mate wanted me to drive us to the moors but I refused, reflecting on it all.

The Smiths song directly referencing the moors murders is called suffer little children.

Last edited:
The plot of land now ... the brick wall around the houses to the right of it weren't there when we went to the best of my memory.

Last edited:
It might have been better all round to take a nice walk over the beautiful moors instead. I know that wasn't what the Smiths were on about but at least you wouldn't have been shouted at!

There used to be a Yahoo group that discussed the murders in a dignified way, which was closed down when Brady-ghouls started posting on it and bragging about receiving xmas cards from him. At least one relation of a victim was a member.
One member went on a similar journey, visiting the murder locations and places mentioned in the trial. Not a hard thing to manage if you're reasonably well-organised; most of them are off the Hyde Road, where I lived for a while, drinking in what I later discovered had been Brady's local. I'm glad I didn't know that at the time.

A few years ago I bought an old Manchester A-Z at a car boot sale. It had been owned by a police officer who'd risen through the ranks to Inspector, as noted inside, and featured the now long-demolished streets where the murderers and their victims lived. One location is now the site of a comprehensive school.

I bet that bobby knew some stories. :(

Brady is rumoured to have left envelopes to be opened after his death which may contain information about where he buried Keith Bennett. This is probably rubbish, or if there really are envelopes the messages in them are useless. Brady's last sick joke. We'll see.
The BBC TV news at lunchtime had a reporter on the moors, pointing out what a featureless place it is. He said that even if Brady did think he remembered where Keith's body is, he could well find it impossible to pinpoint the actual spot. Any messages in envelopes would probably have the same problem, even if not a sick joke. (Unless Brady had some early form of GPS...!)

The BBC TV news at lunchtime had a reporter on the moors, pointing out what a featureless place it is. He said that even if Brady did think he remembered where Keith's body is, he could well find it impossible to pinpoint the actual spot. Any messages in envelopes would probably have the same problem, even if not a sick joke. (Unless Brady had some early form of GPS...!)
Not wanting to stick up for Brady but the landscape, being a marshland, is indeed a constantly (over time) shifting landscape so yes, maybe he couldn't find that last one burial site even if he wanted to .. others have claimed Brady just wanted to see the moors one last time and that also fits with his refusal to .. to .. to .. ? Keith Bennet's Mum died before finding her son's body, Brady was still arrogant until the end to give clear answers ... or he had dementia at that point. It's best Brady's gone now either way although I doubt any remaining family members will be celebrating so to speak.

Some believe that Brady knew exactly where the bodies were and agreed to go back to the moors in the '80s for the chance to slyly revisit Keith Bennett's grave. He was willing to give up one body, that of Pauline Reade, so he could stand on top of the other. The three bodies recovered from the moors were quite close together so it's possible that the fourth missing one is there too.

However, the area has been searched several times over the years with no sign of another body. Peat is prone to underground movement. Some of the ground nearby around a stream is particularly wet, which may have helped to disperse what was left of a small body after many years. It seems unlikely that anything will be found after fifty years.

Already yesterday's news. Time to move on.

Attachments

• binbags.jpg
    binbags.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 23
Some believe that Brady knew exactly where the bodies were and agreed to go back to the moors in the '80s for the chance to slyly revisit Keith Bennett's grave. He was willing to give up one body, that of Pauline Reade, so he could stand on top of the other. The three bodies recovered from the moors were quite close together so it's possible that the fourth missing one is there too.

However, the area has been searched several times over the years with no sign of another body. Peat is prone to underground movement. Some of the ground nearby around a stream is particularly wet, which may have helped to disperse what was left of a small body after many years. It seems unlikely that anything will be found after fifty years.
Would a friendly member be so kind as to raise any main Brady / Hindley thread to the surface for us? Ta.

The Daily Mail has 7 pages (on and off) of Brady waffling on today, provided by a Dr Allan Keightley who's says Brady gave him permission to release a book after his death. The articles don't retread already known details very much. The Dr was bequeathed a lot of Brady's personal belongings, some of which are pictured and no doubt will either be gifted to Scotland Yard's crime museum or sold to sickos online.

edit: This is a Daily Star link so not exactly a quality newspaper.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...s-dying-deathbed-terminal-lung-cancer-illness

How about adding all these Brady posts to that thread?

Yith: done.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the reports from the mail today, Myra 'got off' on being called Snow White by Ian ...

The abnormal piece of shit should not be spoken about in the future, unfortunately, this will not happen as there will be continued documentaries on the whole sick affair, constantly reviving their notoriety.

The abnormal piece of shit should not be spoken about in the future, unfortunately, this will not happen as there will be continued documentaries on the whole sick affair, constantly reviving their notoriety.

With missing bodies and possible other murders by Brady it will probably continue in at least documentaries and books for decades.

Back