The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
:) ... I've loved Morcambe and Wise ever since I was little watching the Christmas specials with my Sister. My Dad used to do the invisible ball paper bag trick for us amongst other gags (which I still do today) ... I own about 10 VHS tapes of them, a Christmas special DVD box set, the Victoria Wood Eric and Ernie TV film, one LP and one book .. watching Ant and Dec today (who clearly worship them) made me decide to start this thread ... any other fans out there? ...

gilbertandwise.jpg

.. Please share anything rare I need to see here!

Swifty

Reaction score
LOL .... :D

My only anecdote from Eric came from an elderly lady I used to visit during one of my old jobs, it's not as good as yours but she had nothing but praise for Eric as he supported loads of local charity shops in her then home town ... she was with her Son who was shy but wanted an autograph ..

Eric: Hello young Sir!

lad: Mr. Morcambe, can I have your autograph? .. I think you're great

Eric: I could tell you were clever!

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I'll smash his face in ..

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
" Beauty like what I have got"

*collapses in happy hysterics*

Also the scene of them making breakfast and it's the stripper music?

I also remember "I'd like to thank all of you for watching me and my little show here tonight. If you've enjoyed it, then it's all been worthwhile. So, until we meet again, good night, and I love you all!" with great fondness. I think her name was Janet Webb?

Swifty

Reaction score
When the mood takes us, every time a police car or ambulance whizzes past with its sirens blasting, one of us will still go "He'll never sell any ice creams going that fast" :)

Parkinson with Moreecombee & Wise ;)

Swifty

Reaction score
I still love this duo and deeply miss them both.

Only these two masters of comedy could get away with this.
They can't hang you for it ...

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Eric used to visit his mum regularly in the Morecambe day centre think it was the Queen lIz and would put on little shows for the elderly and staff. He was adored by them.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Anyone like their films? I must have seen That Riviera Touch five times at least as a kid. Not a patch on the Eddie Braben material, but they make me nostalgic.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Really enjoying this thread. Eric and Ernie always bring a smile to my face.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
To this day I can't get enough of them. I've seen the Glenda Jackson/Cleopatra/Eric moving the bust's head bit about 800 times, but it still makes me laugh out loud every time :).
Anyone like their films? I must have seen That Riviera Touch five times at least as a kid. Not a patch on the Eddie Braben material, but they make me nostalgic.
As films they're very much of their time - Ealing aside, Brit film comedy in the early 60s veered toward the twee and a bit mawkish in a lot of cases (eg Norman Wisdom, whom I find as funny as an abscess), with sanitized jokes and minimal smut, but moreso it confined them, and killed any spontaneity. Basically Eric & Ernie worked far better when they were being themselves, and when they had immediate audience feedback - so TV and stage were their home turf. Also there was the obvious and genuine affection between them, no competition, no malice, no jockeying for dominance - they were a proper partnership.

And most of all, they were really really funny.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
[James Alexander] Gordon's legion of followers included comedian Eric Morecambe - on whose early-career radio show Gordon had been an announcer.
In a 2012 interview, Gordon said that Morecambe always greeted him with a famous tongue-twister scoreline involving Scottish sides East Fife and Forfar - one which never happened, yet became closely associated with the BBC's voice of the classified football results. ;)

James Alexander Gordon, speaking in 2012
"Eric never called me James," Gordon recalled in 2012. "Whenever I saw him over a 20-year period, he would say 'East Fife 4 Forfar 5'. I've got a tape of that."

When Morecambe died in 1984, Gordon received a tribute from the comedian's wife Joan.
He said: "After his funeral, his wife said there was only one thing she would like to have had - me saying 'East Fife 4 Forfar 5'. It was quite sweet."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28844131

(As posted by me on the JAG thread,
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/james-alexander-gordon-jag.39535/#post-1446829 )

Swifty

Reaction score

Swifty

Reaction score
Swifty, is that picture in the opening thread by Gilbert and George? Because there's something about those two I just can't put my finger on....View attachment 294

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gilbert and george&FORM=HDRSC2
.. Sorry to multi post because I haven't worked out how to combine on this forum yet ... yes, that's a Gilbert and George parody image from B3ta.com (where I nick most content from what I post on here ;))

(p.s. please send me a PM davidplankton.. I'm worried about Callum the cocoon!)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
...Norman Wisdom, whom I find as funny as an abscess...
I found him funny back in the day (but I was just a kid then) - but I couldn't watch any of his films now, I think.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
When the mood takes us, every time a police car or ambulance whizzes past with its sirens blasting, one of us will still go "He'll never sell any ice creams going that fast" :)
QUOTE]
I work near to a fire station so that line gets used on a regular basis. And if anyone asks me a question like this morning's "Have you got the catalogues?" I can't help coming out with "No, I always walk this way."

G

GeorgeP

Dont forget the Sweeney.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont forget the Sweeney.
Last year there was an Eric and Ern thread on TV (on Gold, or Dave, or Pick, or Watch, or Idle, or something), including guest-star interviews, and Dennis Waterman talked about the Sweeney ep. He said M&W were given the basic structure, basic script, some feed-lines they had to hit for the rest of the cast, and they did some cursory rehearsal, but beyond that were allowed to just get on with it - again, just doing what they did (and being basically themselves) they were brilliant. Waterman also clearly admired them (he and Thaw did reciprocate by being guests on M&W..unless it was the other way round..), and said they were absolute pros throughout: no matter how many takes, fluffs, whatever, they hit the mark every time.

Which is why so many predominantly TV based comics frequently fall on their arses on stage. They haven't done the years of live, nowhere-to-hide, ruthless club-work to hone their craft. Eric and Ernie had that in spades. Never saw them live, to my eternal regret (saw Tommy Cooper, and he was sublime.)

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I like the story Des O'Connor used to tell about how Tommy Cooper came to say good bye to him when he was getting on a train at the end of a sea side summer season they'd worked together ...

Tommy popped some cash in Des's top pocket and said "Have a drink on me!" ...

Des checked his top pocket when the train was pulling away only to instead pull out a tea bag ... :D