The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Eric and Ern singing with The Beatles
When the Beatles finally reform, and turn up at the Pearly Gates, St Peter will ask them what they did with their time on Earth. The Beatles mutter together before John answers, "Well, we played music and sang on the Eric and Ernie show..."

St Peter says "Say no more, I like Eric and Ernie too! I can see you'll get along fine here, just go in and make yourselves at home. By the way, Eric and Ernie are here too..!" :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
When the Beatles finally reform, and turn up at the Pearly Gates, St Peter will ask them what they did with their time on Earth. The Beatles mutter together before John answers, "Well, we played music and sang on the Eric and Ernie show..."

St Peter says "Say no more, I like Eric and Ernie too! I can see you'll get along fine here, just go in and make yourselves at home. By the way, Eric and Ernie are here too..!" :)
I've only just noticed something .. at the 4:30 mark in that clip , the Sex Pistols used the same guitar intro years later for 'God Save The Queen' .. compare and contrast for yourselves ..

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I've only just noticed something .. at the 4:30 mark in that clip , the Sex Pistols used the same guitar intro years later for 'God Save The Queen' .. compare and contrast for yourselves ..

???
I can't hear it.
So the point is..?

Swifty

Reaction score
???
I can't hear it.
So the point is..?
The Sex Pistols guitar riff at the start of God Save The Queen is extremely similar to the earlier Beatles opening guitar riff in my above link .. so The Sex Pistols copied it ...

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The Sex Pistols guitar riff at the start of God Save The Queen is extremely similar to the earlier Beatles opening guitar riff in my above link .. so The Sex Pistols copied it ...
Bless you for thinking the Sex Pistols wrote anything for themselves...

Swifty

Reaction score
Bless you for thinking the Sex Pistols wrote anything for themselves...
It would have been fun to see them on The Morecambe & Wise Christmas special ..

Swifty

Reaction score
Eric and Ern with Steve Davis ..

Swifty

Reaction score
Breakfast with Eric and Ern
A classic .. Ern was always pissed off that he didn't time one of the moves exactly right in that sketch .. the whisking of the eggs bit to the music .. anyway ..

Swifty

Reaction score
Eric Morcambe and Ernest Wise on the Ed Sullivan show ..

Swifty

Reaction score
It's not easy to find footage of Eric and Ern live on stage .. even though that was at least five quarters of their careers .. 1959 ladies and gentlemen ..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That Christmas special was on BBC Four last, er, Christmas. They were streets ahead of everyone else on the show, especially the double act on before of whom there is not one iota of information on the internet.

Swifty

Reaction score
The fellas turn up at 2:00 in this advert for sunblest bread ..

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
It's not easy to find footage of Eric and Ern live on stage .. even though that was at least five quarters of their careers .. 1959 ladies and gentlemen ..
Sorry, you've failed Maths 001!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I never knew there ever could be such a thing as a Morecambe And Wise Appreciation Thread! (But that's because I have a life!)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
It's social history!

For instance, old Leonard Sachs is on the list of Celebrity Cottagers somewhere, whereas Eric and Ernie never got done for it, despite years of living openly on television in a double-bed.

They never blacked up, so far as I recall, though the LP above* contains a sketch called "The Ambassador of Khasiland" a vocal impression which might be consigned to the outtakes department today!

At the end of that promotional bread film, they get to do the celebrated "Two old men sitting in deck chairs" gag, complete with [one version of] the punchline. The start of the joke used to appear in their mainstream work from time to time but it was always interrupted, as if to dare the audience - or the tv companies - to recognize it.

For the record, the exchange of the two "gentlemen" runs as follows:

"Nice out today!"
"Yes it is, I'll get mine out in a minute!"

The versions I first learned suggested a less anarchic world.

"You'd better put it in again, there's a policeman coming." and then
"You'd better put it in again, it's starting to rain."

*It is rare in its original form but tens of thousands of copies were sold in its Music For Pleasure reincarnation just a few years later, when the duo were approaching their peak popularity. :)

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I never knew there ever could be such a thing as a Morecambe And Wise Appreciation Thread! (But that's because I have a life!)
Because of all the parties you get invited to instead ? .. they were legends IMO but each to their own Dino. ;)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I don't have a life, but that's not an exclusive claim to M&S, they were for everyone, lives present or otherwise.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Because of all the parties you get invited to instead ? .. they were legends IMO but each to their own Dino. ;)
I've always thought that M&W were just very much of their time, very dated (unlike the Goon Show) and very much in the old pantomime style of comedy (which died out for a very good reason! Panto filled in a few hours for people when entertainment was limited, but nowadays we have a wider base for comedy, and we're better for it!).

Swifty

Reaction score
I've always thought that M&W were just very much of their time, very dated (unlike the Goon Show) and very much in the old pantomime style of comedy (which died out for a very good reason! Panto filled in a few hours for people when entertainment was limited, but nowadays we have a wider base for comedy, and we're better for it!).
Fair enough mate, I prefer music hall comedy although I do also enjoy newer comedy styles ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The former Mr Snail maintained that all women preferred slapstick humour over every other style such as stand-up comedy. He'd read this in the Daily Mirror or somewhere in about 1974 so it must be true. The implication was that the ladies needed a simpler style of comedy because, y'know, their little brains couldn't cope with sophisticated patter.

After I'd put him straight on this he'd watch me intently when fall-about comedy came on TV in case I laughed so he could say HAH! TOLD you about slapstick! You LOVE it!
The rubbish'd be on because he wanted it, not me. I had no trouble keeping a straight face. :rolleyes:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Oh no we're not! Sorry, couldn't resist that :D

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
I could never enjoy Morecambe and Wise for the same reason I cannot stand Are You Being Served? - laboured jokes that were devoid of humour for people who never got out of the house...