The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I could never enjoy Morecambe and Wise for the same reason I cannot stand Are You Being Served? - laboured jokes that were devoid of humour for people who never got out of the house...
There was nothing to do in Britain in the 70s, so we all stayed in and laughed along with Eric and Ern on TV. Don't dismiss the benefits of innocent humour to lift an entire nation's spirits. Healthier than a hanging.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I grew up in the 70's watching every Christmas special with our parents and have them all on DVD now, some of them on VHS before DVD's came along ... as a kid, I though they were just mucking about onstage and getting away with it (partly true sometimes), what I didn't realise before reading Garry Morecambe's book (Eric's son) just how tightly controlled and rehearsed those supposedly spontaneous moments were and that was the point, if we'd all known back then, they wouldn't have been as funny .. for me it would have been like chopping up that goose that laid the golden egg ... they worked their arses off to make it look easy ... but I won't tell anyone off for not finding them funny, comedy is a subjective thing after all.

I'm a big fan of Jim Jefferies these days, he's got me through some dark times, Frankie Boyle has cracked me up more than once, I also love surreal one liner comedians ..

NSFW

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
'Little Ernie Wise', OBE, on This Is Your Life .. check out Peter Cushing at 26:04 ..

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
The making of the Morecambe and Wise holograms for Children In Need, 2012 ...

Last edited:

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

Marvellous stuff.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I'd wanted to pose like this ever since the statue was installed. Didn't get to Morecambe until last year, and whenever we went there were crowds of pensioners doing it.

So I finally managed it on Monday and here we are.
I was in the school choir at some boring school's event (I was there to fill a gap so had to mime) and when we came off stage me and another guy did that. Got a bigger cheer than all the other schools but the teacher wasn't happy. Funnily enough we never got back in the choir :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was in the school choir at some boring school's event (I was there to fill a gap so had to mime) and when we came off stage me and another guy did that. Got a bigger cheer than all the other schools but the teacher wasn't happy. Funnily enough we never got back in the choir :)
Everyone over a certain age recognises that move! :D

I've been showing that photo around at work. Nearly everyone either says 'Oh I took a photo of my missis/bloke/Dad doing that!' or they produce such a photo. One chap showed me one of him and his twin brother - both strapping 6 foot-odders - posing either side of the statue.

Eric was sooo loved, wasn't he? He died at 58 of his third heart attack, having been a heavy smoker most of his adult life.

58! I'm already old than that! He could still have been alive now in some actors' rest home, entertaining the oldies with a rousing singalong to Bring Me Sunshine.

Swifty

Reaction score
I'd wanted to pose like this ever since the statue was installed. Didn't get to Morecambe until last year, and whenever we went there were crowds of pensioners doing it.

So I finally managed it on Monday and here we are.
.. well done lad .. *slaps Skargy's cheeks*

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Everyone over a certain age recognises that move! :D

I've been showing that photo around at work. Nearly everyone either says 'Oh I took a photo of my missis/bloke/Dad doing that!' or they produce such a photo. One chap showed me one of him and his twin brother - both strapping 6 foot-odders - posing either side of the statue.

Eric was sooo loved, wasn't he? He died at 58 of his third heart attack, having been a heavy smoker most of his adult life.

58! I'm already old than that! He could still have been alive now in some actors' rest home, entertaining the oldies with a rousing singalong to Bring Me Sunshine.
I'm older too. Where did the years go - I still think I'm 12 :)

Eric really had a wonderful talent - I just have to think about Morecambe and Wise and I can't help smiling.

Swifty

Reaction score
My Dad used to do the wonky glasses thing to make me laugh and the Mrs Dad used to do the "He's not going to sell many ice creams going that fast!" when an ambulance raced past :)

This is always worth a re post, 'Eric and Ernie', a dramatisation early years thing by Victoria Wood (R.I.P.) .. pure gold dust .. if anyone reading hasn't yet watched this, please do so ..

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
My Dad used to do the wonky glasses thing to make me laugh and the Mrs Dad used to do the "He's not going to sell many ice creams going that fast!" when an ambulance raced past :)

This is always worth a re post, 'Eric and Ernie', a dramatisation early years thing by Victoria Wood (R.I.P.) .. pure gold dust .. if anyone reading hasn't yet watched this, please do so ..

I still do the ice cream gag - I just can't help it. And I still do the paper bag trick too

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My Dad used to do the wonky glasses thing to make me laugh
After we took the photo of the Eric statue I put my specs on his face and wobbled them. Couldn't help myself.

Better than sawing his leg off, I s'pose.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Oh, this is an excellent thread, thank you Swifty!
When I was little my parents always watched Morecambe and Wise and this is bringing back some memories. :)

Classic Eric and Ern with Andrew Preview. I don't know how many times I've seen this and I'm still roaring with laughter. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.
I love that sketch. That's the one with the "I'm playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order" quote, yes?

I also like the breakfast sketch. And... I haven't seen it mentioned here, but was there a sketch with BBC newscasters dressed up as sailors? Or am I conflating memories from a different programme?

Oh, and some Zebs trivia for you... I have a relative who used to work in a shop in Blackpool, years ago - and Morecambe and Wise would come into the shop sometimes so she'd met them! :D

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
I also like the breakfast sketch. And... I haven't seen it mentioned here, but was there a sketch with BBC newscasters dressed up as sailors? Or am I conflating memories from a different programme?
Yes, you remember correctly. It was a performance of There is Nothing Like a Dame from South Pacific with assorted newsreaders and TV presenters.

Swifty

Reaction score
Oh, this is an excellent thread, thank you Swifty!
When I was little my parents always watched Morecambe and Wise and this is bringing back some memories. :)

I love that sketch. That's the one with the "I'm playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order" quote, yes?

Oh, and some Zebs trivia for you... I have a relative who used to work in a shop in Blackpool, years ago - and Morecambe and Wise would come into the shop sometimes so she'd met them! :D
When I worked for ****, a local care community, I visited an elderly lady .. she used to take her son into a shop local to her back in the day and Eric used to also shop there at the time .. this is an anecdote you won't find in any books or videos ladies and gentlemen .. *cough* .. : so her lad tentatively approached him and asked for an autograph: "I think you're GREAT" .. Eric bounced back with "I could tell you were clever !" .. :)

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Yes, you remember correctly. It was a performance of There is Nothing Like a Dame from South Pacific with assorted newsreaders and TV presenters.
Ah! Thank you. :)

When I worked for ****, a local care community, I visited an elderly lady .. she used to take her son into a shop local to her back in the day and Eric used to also shop there at the time .. this is an anecdote you won't find in any books or videos ladies and gentlemen .. *cough* .. : so her lad tentatively approached him and asked for an autograph: "I think you're GREAT" .. Eric bounced back with "I could tell you were clever !" .. :)
Aww, that's nice :) I do like Morecambe and Wise, if they're ever on telly now it's still funny. Of course programmes from back then never seem to age, somehow.

*finishes reading the thread*

Oh, Des O'Connor, I remember seeing him on telly.

But what is Sing Something Simple? Doesn't sound familiar.