The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
But what is Sing Something Simple? Doesn't sound familiar.
We have entire perfectly good threads derailed by posters' hatred for SSS. They are easily found. My advice is, avoid them. Don't go there.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
It's the most horrific experience ever. Don't even go there.
We have entire perfectly good threads derailed by posters' hatred for SSS. They are easily found. My advice is, avoid them. Don't go there.
Well after reading these replies my curiosity was piqued so you know what happened next..

*zebs googles Sing Something Simple*

Ah, so it was a radio show. Okay. Oh, there's a YouTube video for it.

*clicks play*

*listens for about 15 seconds*

Well, maybe it gets better...

*listens for a bit more*

*closes YouTube*

I shall never mention it again.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Well after reading these replies my curiosity was piqued so you know what happened next..

*zebs googles Sing Something Simple*

Ah, so it was a radio show. Okay. Oh, there's a YouTube video for it.

*clicks play*

*listens for about 15 seconds*

Well, maybe it gets better...

*listens for a bit more*

*closes YouTube*

I shall never mention it again.
Let that be a lesson to you :)

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
My Dad used to do the wonky glasses thing to make me laugh and the Mrs Dad used to do the "He's not going to sell many ice creams going that fast!" when an ambulance raced past :)

This is always worth a re post, 'Eric and Ernie', a dramatisation early years thing by Victoria Wood (R.I.P.) .. pure gold dust .. if anyone reading hasn't yet watched this, please do so ..

@Swifty, mate, thank you for posting that. I've finally found time to watch it, and I'm just swept off my feet in a wave of nostalgia for a North of England that I am now so far away from geographically. Temporally, of course, I never was there, but there was just enough of that same world left when I was a lad for that to have been a very bittersweet watch.

And speaking of bittersweetness, it strikes me, now, that that film has become a celebration of three national treasures. We were lucky to have Eric and Ernie, for sure, but we shouldn't let their blaze cast Victoria Wood into shadow.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
@Swifty, mate, thank you for posting that. I've finally found time to watch it, and I'm just swept off my feet in a wave of nostalgia for a North of England that I am now so far away from geographically. Temporally, of course, I never was there, but there was just enough of that same world left when I was a lad for that to have been a very bittersweet watch.

And speaking of bittersweetness, it strikes me, now, that that film has become a celebration of three national treasures. We were lucky to have Eric and Ernie, for sure, but we shouldn't let their blaze cast Victoria Wood into shadow.
Well said boss .. *also raises a glass to Sticky Vicky*

Ernie "Tell me about your Father."
Eric "He was a very shy man."
Ernie "Was he?."
Eric "He was very shy indeed, matter of fact, if he hadn't been so shy, I'd be two years older."

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
This purports to be the only existing footage of Eric and Ernie's stage act. I can't quite decide if they were coasting by this point - with the exception of Ernie's jacket joke (which falls flat - too reliant on knowing variety lingo?), the actual material is pretty thin. More likely, though, they had simply become so beautifully in sync that they could make it look like there was nothing at all to the business of standing on stage and messing about. If it's so easy, you get up there and do it.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This purports to be the only existing footage of Eric and Ernie's stage act. I can't quite decide if they were coasting by this point - with the exception of Ernie's jacket joke (which falls flat - too reliant on knowing variety lingo?), the actual material is pretty thin. More likely, though, they had simply become so beautifully in sync that they could make it look like there was nothing at all to the business of standing on stage and messing about. If it's so easy, you get up there and do it.

I've watched that before but thanks for posting it .. and yes, they're definitely lacking something in that performance .. enjoyment probably ..

When Walter Butterworth saved Eric Morcambe's life ..

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Des was a good sport about all the ribbing though .. most of it was rehearsed but that's giving away secrets sunshine ;)
The gags about Des's voice were, as you say, taken in good part but I get the feeling Des wasn't in on the joke from the start. Reminds me a bit of the I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue running joke about Lionel Blair, where the former compere Humphrey Lyttleton would tell an elaborate story about Blair. There'd be a punning punchline about Blair doing something gay in public with 100 Guardsmen or whoever.

The audience'd scream with laughter but Blair himself was furious about it. I heard him on t'wireless soon after Lyttelton's death being asked for his thoughts on the great man, which he gave in full.
Viz., ‘He [Humph] is no longer with us, so you know... You should always speak good of the dead. He’s dead. Good.’

So the really obscene jokes were quietly retired. Blair is still mocked but more gently. He probably hates that too.

Lionel and Humphrey

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
the really obscene jokes were quietly retired
I always assumed that there must have been some agreement - or Humph had the photographs to prove it!

I suppose there was always the legal get-out that the entendre was all-in-the-mind!

Learning that Blair was offended by the jokes made them funnier, in my view - but then I have an image of the Lionel Blair Exercise LP-cover burned into my brain, so I can forgive him nothing! :gobs:

horror.jpg

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I always assumed that there must have been some agreement - or Humph had the photographs to prove it!

I suppose there was always the legal get-out that the entendre was all-in-the-mind!

Learning that Blair was offended by the jokes made them funnier, in my view - but then I have an image of the Lionel Blair Exercise LP-cover burned into my brain, so I can forgive him nothing! :gobs:

View attachment 11575
*rubs eyes with sandpaper to remove image*

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

View attachment 11575
YYYOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The Goodies called him Lionel Bleaurgh.