The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Two lost episodes of The Morecambe & Wise show have been discovered in a cinema in Sierra Leone (obviously .. where else?), someone at work today has told me they're being broadcast by BBC Two over Christmas :headspinner:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...odes-comedy-cinema-sierra-leone-a8651746.html
Knowing it was Hills and Green material and not Braben made me a bit sceptical that it would make me laugh very much, but I did, quite a bit. What a nice TV Christmas present (well, Boxing Day present). I think it's Eric's quick wits that lift the tone. Weird that Hills and Green actually wrote themselves into the sketches, mind you.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Knowing it was Hills and Green material and not Braben made me a bit sceptical that it would make me laugh very much, but I did, quite a bit. What a nice TV Christmas present (well, Boxing Day present). I think it's Eric's quick wits that lift the tone. Weird that Hills and Green actually wrote themselves into the sketches, mind you.
I watched one, it had its funny moments, will watch the other later. Hills and Green confused writing funny with being funny in the end and I think E&E were sensible to move on.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I watched one, it had its funny moments, will watch the other later. Hills and Green confused writing funny with being funny in the end and I think E&E were sensible to move on.
I couldn't enjoy the Hills and Green parts for exactly the same reasons as you .. the only parts that made me laugh were the bits at the end when they'd cleared off and we were left with E&E improvising (and taking the mickey out of Bob Monkhouse instead of Des O'Connor for a change) .. the fellas were only funny when left to their own devices and were bouncing off each other. I think you'll enjoy the ending of the second part Coal.

For anyone who hasn't seen the first re discovered episode yet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bx04tl/the-morecambe-and-wise-show-the-lost-tapes-episode-1

Last edited:

Swifty

Behind the scenes of Victoria Wood's dramatization, Eric and Ernie

Last edited:

Swifty

The Mrs bought me an Eddie Braben script book for The Morecambe & Wise show .. yesterday. He was very good although I'll always feel the lads were better off when they were on their own .. this to me is sort of dissecting the goose that laid the golden egg but here we go anyway ..

Last edited:
I've never liked Morecombe and Wise, even as a child when I'd enjoy The Two Ronnies and even Last of the Summer Wine. I just don't "get" what other people see in them, there other comedians I don't like but can see why they are so lauded, I don't think they are bad or anything, I just don't find them funny. They seem to be a comedy act that people of a certain age say "everyone likes them" but friends my own age seem to be as bewildered as I am.

I've never liked Morecombe and Wise, even as a child when I'd enjoy The Two Ronnies and even Last of the Summer Wine. I just don't "get" what other people see in them, there other comedians I don't like but can see why they are so lauded, I don't think they are bad or anything, I just don't find them funny. They seem to be a comedy act that people of a certain age say "everyone likes them" but friends my own age seem to be as bewildered as I am.
You are an embittered cynic. You should be eaten alive by queer zombie hedgehogs.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Here's an entertaining discussion/interview on iplayer with Barry Took & M & W from 1971 covering their early days to current at that time. Up for a month from now. Eric started his career aged 13 & his mum toured with him. Ernie's mum suggested they get together. Chuckles along the way.

Swifty

Here's an entertaining discussion/interview on iplayer with Barry Took & M & W from 1971 covering their early days to current at that time. Up for a month from now. Eric started his career aged 13 & his mum toured with him. Ernie's mum suggested they get together. Chuckles along the way.
I thought it was Eric's mum who suggested they got together as a double act? .. (thanks for the link)

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I thought it was Eric's mum who suggested they got together as a double act? .. (thanks for the link)
You could be right - it was one or other of their mums.

I was listening to it whilst falling asleep.

Last edited:

Swifty

You could be right - it was one or other of their mums.
Have you watched the brilliant 'Eric & Ernie' BBC early years dramatization thing Victoria Wood did? .. in case you haven't, I posted it earlier in this link .. back in a sec, I'll see if I can re post it ..

edit: here you go .. please let me know what you think .. I reckon the actors playing the two did a fantastic job .. enjoy ..

Swifty

No one told me ? .. this ace tribute act played on Cromer Pier last year and no one flipping told me! ..

I'm chatting with them at the moment to try and talk them into returning ..

aericanderno1.jpg

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
No one told me ? .. this ace tribute act played on Cromer Pier last year and no one flipping told me! ..

I'm chatting with them at the moment to try and talk them into returning ..

View attachment 22411

I saw a theatre show on them a few years back, it may or may not have been this pair. Pre show we were chatting to an American who had never heard of them just thought of going to the theatre to see what was on. She left at the intermission and didn’t come back. We loved it, they were indeed spot on.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
lovely-statue.jpg

The brilliant statue of M&W just inside the north entrance foyer to The Wintergardens at Blackpool....

EDIT....a sudden unshakable impression....their narrative 'schtick' always, in my mind, was them almost every time, standing this way around. So that, as a tableau to the audience, the overtly-funny-tall-Eric delivers his line left-to-right, narrative continuity to the straight-flawed-sophisticate-little-Ern....think how wrong that statue would've looked in reverse.

Was there in Sep 2019. Hopefully get back to Blackpool, one of these days

Last edited: