The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Spotted an advertising poster featuring Morecambe & Wise in the week. Can't remember what it was about, being busy wondering who the target audience was. You'd have to be, what, 50, to remember them?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Eric & Ernie in an ATARI advert

Not an ATARI advert

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We should listen to Eric!

Erc in mask.jpg

Hey @Swifty!

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Spotted an advertising poster featuring Morecambe & Wise in the week. Can't remember what it was about, being busy wondering who the target audience was. You'd have to be, what, 50, to remember them?

Hey! I remember them, and I'm not 50! :p

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Boom Ooh Ya Ta Da Daaa

They did this a studio single of this and it used to be on t'wireless. The song was an imaginary ballad based on Elvis's 'Are You Lonesome Tonight, not that actual one.

The only two lines were
Will you miss me tonight when I'm gone?
Will our love ve the same from now on?

They never get past the start because of all the discussions and bickering!

MORECAMBE & WISE - 'Boom Oo Yatta-Ta-Ta' - 1963 45rpm

When it came on I used to wonder at how good the actual singing was! This wasn't prominent on TV.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
They did this a studio single of this and it used to be on t'wireless. The song was an imaginary ballad based on Elvis's 'Are You Lonesome Tonight, not that actual one.

The only two lines were
Will you miss me tonight when I'm gone?
Will our love ve the same from now on?

They never get past the start because of all the discussions and bickering!

MORECAMBE & WISE - 'Boom Oo Yatta-Ta-Ta' - 1963 45rpm

When it came on I used to wonder at how good the actual singing was! This wasn't prominent on TV.
I def did not experience it in 1963!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I def did not experience it in 1963!

You probably know the song and patter from the radio. I certainly do. Can remember sitting next to the fire with my feet up on the hearth as a kid listening to it and laughing.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
You probably know the song and patter from the radio. I certainly do. Can remember sitting next to the fire with my feet up on the hearth as a kid listening to it and laughing.
Possibly the sort of thing that was broadcast on Jimmy Savilles Old Record Club or Saturday / Sunday morning on Radio 1. I have seen the sketch as it is visually familar but nowadays with so many retrospectives and the like who knows when I saw it. It did give me a good old laugh watching it this morning though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Possibly the sort of thing that was broadcast on Jimmy Savilles Old Record Club or Saturday / Sunday morning on Radio 1. I have seen the sketch as it is visually familar but nowadays with so many retrospectives and the like who knows when I saw it. It did give me a good old laugh watching it this morning though.

You'd only see the sketch once though, whereas the song was played reasonably often back in the day like any other single.
It wasn't always a nostalgic item. There have always been popular novelty songs.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Posting this because it's just soo good -
(Safe Vimeo link)

The Last Laugh

Written and Directed by Paul Hendy, this award-winning short film stars Damian Williams, Bob Golding and Simon Cartwright. Three legendary British comedians, Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe and Bob Monkhouse sit in a dressing room discussing the secret of life, comedy and what it means to be funny...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've been trying to re find that for ages, nice one :)
It's on Vimeo, not YouTube where you'd expect it. ;)

Showed Techy and he got it right away. To sharp by'alf, that one.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Anyone else remember the perhaps simpler and in retrospect, finest, comic interplay of, 'both together in their flat' anecdotes.

If only watching a compellation of them... :chuckle:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
That is excellent in so many ways. Bob Monkhouse is particularly well-studied to a point of overdoing the smarminess which, of course, is absolutely perfect.

l always thought that Monkhouse was greatly underrated as a comic. l can remember some of his reminiscences about having hosted a quiz programme, and some of the dim contestants: “The wheel was still spinning, but the hamster was dead.”

l could forgive him cannibalism for his self-deprecatory gag: “People laughed at me when l said that l was going to be a comic. Well, nobody’s laughing now!

maximus otter