The Morecambe & Wise Appreciation Thread

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I met Bob Monkhouse many years ago when I worked in theatre. It was actually a major corporate gig that had taken over the place for a week, and he was acting as a kind of ongoing compere and doing a bit of a turn each day. He appeared to be an absolutely lovely bloke - sincerely charming and very unassuming. He was virtually on his own backstage, and would sit in his dressing room with the door open, reading the paper. I think the only thing he ever asked us to do was to swap out the lumpy armchair in the room - and he was so apologetic when he did so, you'd think he'd asked for the entire place to be redecorated.

He also did something that our very old-school stage door keeper used to rate as a top sign of absolute class. When he first entered the building, rather than assuming that everybody would know who he was by default (which, of course, they did), he said 'Hello. My name's Bob Monkhouse'.

He was also very funny.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Done by running round the statue with a torch!

Eric in a different light.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Eric Morecambe being crowned Pipe Man Of The Year in 1970 ladies and gentlemen ..

Watch | Facebook

I remember that happening.

Back then some heavy smokers would switch from cigarettes to pipes and cigars, with the idea that they'd smoke less because the taste was stronger or summat.
My own father and other older men I knew had made that change. Dad had been a chain smoker before the pipe.

So to me the award meant Eric was smoking too much and had been told by his doctor to change his ways. Not a good sign.
He'd already had a heart attack by then, of course.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I remember that happening.

Back then some heavy smokers would switch from cigarettes to pipes and cigars, with the idea that they'd smoke less because the taste was stronger or summat.
My own father and other older men I knew had made that change. Dad had been a chain smoker before the pipe.

So to me the award meant Eric was smoking too much and had been told by his doctor to change his ways. Not a good sign.
He'd already had a heart attack by then, of course.
I liked the tale Des O'Conner told of phoning Eric in the hospital just after Eric had had that first heart attack:

" .. seriously though Eric .. is their anything I can do for you?"
"Yes. Give it all up."

Who the hell's still cracking jokes on their death bed? .. :hahazebs:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I liked the tale Des O'Conner told of phoning Eric in the hospital just after Eric had had that first heart attack:

" .. seriously though Eric .. is their anything I can do for you?"
"Yes. Give it all up."

Who the hell's still cracking jokes on their death bed? .. :hahazebs:
Eric was interviewed on TV, possibly by Parkinson, around then and made a joke of his health scare.

Can remember him saying 'If I'd known I was having a heart attack I'd have had a heart attack!' to great hilarity.

I found this witty but could also tell he was dealing with a big fright in his own way. He'd come close to death and he knew it.

But what did I know? I was about 11.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
You can see M&W's writers pinching ideas and this is very Eric. We think this is poor but it brought the house down at some point.