• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

The Music Thread

Mattattattatt

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I just thought of another!

The main theme from "Beat Girl" by the John Barry 7 - John Barry's first film score. I heard a great version played by the Special Agents at Barfly in Sheffield last night

marion

Ungnoing.
Reaction score
Easy - The Good , The Bad and The Ugly . No contest ,
Marion

A

Anonymous

I've got a very rare 10-inch lp of the unreleased themes to Hellraiser by Coil (A very fortean band,recently featured on the site and the mag).Very Spooky.
I also rate the song from Lakme featured in the Hunger (may have something to do with Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon getting naked and getting off with each other :))

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Fave Music

Sthedaw said:
What about that haunting theme from Picnic at Hanging Rock?
Just caught this film for the first time - some of the synth sounds are utterly dated but the weird noises around the rocks are still quite cool.

As to Bladerunner - that's an immaculate soundtrack that lends a vast amount of depth to another of Scott's 'complete immersion' settings. That's sort of my point: Vangelis wrote the theme music as the music to that film - far preferable to just picking some popular or contemporary music that loosely fits the style. (fine for 'period' films of course)

Bladerunner: Rachel's song (i believe its called) is utterly beautiful: a perfect evocation of ephemeral fragility - hence its inclusion on a plethora of 'greatest chilled/moods/background music ever' albums.

Can't believe nobody mentioned the score to Vertigo - haunting.

A

Anonymous

music for films

Soundtracks : Wings of Desire, nearly any Woody Allen movie post - 1980, Amateur, Nadja, Naked Lunch, Velvet Goldmine, La Dolce Vita, the " travelling music " from Eyes Without A Face, Blue Velvet, Dead Ringers, Dancer In The Dark and the song sung by Eraserhead's girl in the radiator.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
JackSkellington said:
The main theme from "Beat Girl" by the John Barry 7 - John Barry's first film score. I heard a great version played by the Special Agents at Barfly in Sheffield last night
They wouldn't be a John Barry tribute band, would they?

Some (most?) of his work for the Bond movies is brilliant. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a favourite (particularly the Propellerheads cover, but the original was already up there).

I also agree with a lot of earlier comments. BladeRunner, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and so forth. (Oh Brother... does a brilliant job of weaving the soundtrack into the action.) And I've mentioned before that I think Williams' Imperial March from the Star Wars films is his best work. (Raiders and Superman are also impressive.) Also, some of Horner's work (Aliens, Glory, and so forth) is pretty impressive as well.

To throw a couple of less distinguished names into the ring: Silvestri's work for the Back to the Future films was one of my favourites for a long time. And I have to confess that the way Yahoo Serious integrated the songs he used in Young Einstein into the film (with the notable exception of Rock and Roll Music by Mental as Anything) was inspired.

A

Anonymous

Interview With The Vampire
And Fistful of Dollars/Good the Bad and The Ugly
Hannibal
Company Of Wolves(will this ever even have a soundtrack Cd/or even a special edition DVD)

A

Anonymous

Re: BLADE RUNNER...

-Oracle- said:
So, whats your fave film music?
Soundtracks of Easy Rider, Riot On Sunset Strip, Gas-s-s! (Corman's last flick for AIP), Harold And Maude, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, The Wanderers, Head, Psych-Out! and South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut.

Notice it's mainly 'found' music?

:imo: Music written specifically for film is supposed to be conducive to the mood of scenes and as such should have a subliminal effect -in short, if you notice it, it -by definition- ain't good film music. So listening to film soundtrax out of context should be like listening to paint drying, and IMO usually is.

Thus, the only soundtrax I generally care for are those that involve 'found' music as they call it: pop music cut to fit. South Park is the exception to this because it is a musical-comedy and so the songs are intended to evoke laughter in their own right.

A

Anonymous

Oracle haven't heard from you in ages.
Loved Rasputina.
Cheers mate

A

Anonymous

Re: Fave Soundtrack

richardm123uk said:
It would have to be Argento's Susperia soundtrack by Goblin.

Its amazing. A classic film
Yes. Have to agree! Great soundtrack! operatic Grand Guignol piece of movie making that probably influenced a load of teens locked in a building, slasher, follow ups!

John Barry, Brilliant! Theme from the 'IPCRESS File,' all that zither! :p

dot23

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Have to say the soundtrack to Pi is awesome. Compiled by Clint Mansell of Pop Will Eat Itself fame, the opening track is one of most hardcore drum'n'bass tunes I've heard for some time. Also features Autechre, Orbital (when they could still write tunes), APhex and many more - go buy :)

Also have MP3 of the (criminally as the eventual ST was awful)unused hellraiser ST by coil - they are the most incredible band in the world - went to see them in the royal festival hall on the south bank (bizarre venue choice) and they played a piece called 'lowest common abdominator' which vibrates your internal organs from the bottom up! This from a band who've brought us such delights as the resonanent frequency of psilocybin and music to have homosexual intercourse to. And 'how to destroy angels' I advise everyone reading this to have at least one coil song in their collection :D

Definitely anything by Ennio Morricone - particularly the man with no name theme! Also love the Eric Serra themes to Nikita, big blue etc- very much an integral part of Besson's world.

Loved the music to Akira, but could never find it in the UK, or online for that matter - love to hear from anyone who could get me a copy.

Brown_Forever

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
How come the 'What Music?' thread is currently locked?

I know there's been a lot of recent discussion about Hillage/Daevid Allen/Gong (and I admitted to an enduring affection for Fairport Convention) but this is going a bit far, surely?

Come on Mods, explain yourselves!

PB (while 'Liege and Lief' once more plays in the background)

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I locked it cos it was well over the 1500 posts (anything more than this and the auto-delete goes into a spasm) I was waiting for someone to notice it and start a new thread ;)

I've edited your OP so you can now carry on as it were, new thread and all that.

luvpixie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Corr!
I`m everso glad this thread re-opened,because I just wanted to ask the Gong family friends if they`d checked out the University of Errors site,or the official Gong website?...............because we are not alone. :lol:

Cavynaut

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
At the moment I'm listening to anything by Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things and early Hawkwind.

Seems like that entire hippy/early punk crossover is about the only genre that hasn't been mined to buggery in the last few years by spotty media students.

Hmmm....at the tender age of 48, should I put an advert in the local instrument shop and blow the cobwebs off the strat.....? :lol:

Diabolik8

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites

Beautiful.

gerardwilkie

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Just listened to an advance copy of the new Rammstein album , Rosenrot. It's not been released yet , but is probably one of the best albums so far this year . Opening track Benzin is a killer .

tastyintestines

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Benzin=gasoline/petrol?

CLUTCH-------Robot Hive\Exodus

disgruntledgoth

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Cavynaut said:
Hmmm....at the tender age of 48, should I put an advert in the local instrument shop and blow the cobwebs off the strat.....? :lol:
In a word, YES. Get a big Marshal amp and make that guitar wail, and severely annoy anyone living in the street.

Rubyait

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Saw the subways last week in Oxford and they were pretty good live. I haven't had a manic jump around session like that in ages! :yeay:

Redhead666

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
It amazes me how you can have these musicians ( I am assuming in the UK) that people across the Atlantic Ocean have never heard of.

I have never in my life heard of Hillage, Daevid Allen/Gong, Fairport Convention, mudvayne, Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things, Hawkwind, Mew, Glass Handed Kites, or Rammstein.
:shock:

Brown_Forever

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Mudvayne are from the US, and that's about as much as I know about them.

No doubt all will be made clear at www.mudvayne.com , if you are prepared to put up with the "interesting" site navigation, which I wasn't.

Fairport Convention? Folk Rock group formed in 1967 (I think) by Richard Thompson et al. Vocalist most associated with the group is Sandy Denny (died 1978), who duetted 'The Battle of Evermore' with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's fourth album. Fairport have released zillions of albums since then, but my favourite remains their fourth, 'Liege and Lief' from 1969. Think the current incarnation of the group still undertakes the occasional North American tour.

I take it you've heard of Rush? ;)

PB

A

Anonymous

Brown_Forever said:
Fairport Convention? Folk Rock group formed in 1967 (I think) by Richard Thompson et al. Vocalist most associated with the group is Sandy Denny (died 1978), who duetted 'The Battle of Evermore' with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's fourth album. Fairport have released zillions of albums since then, but my favourite remains their fourth, 'Liege and Lief' from 1969. Think the current incarnation of the group still undertakes the occasional North American tour.

PB
Which has just prompted me to dig out my Fairport and Sandy albums. I second the view that 'Liege and Lief' is their best - I never get bored of their version of Matty Groves.

Before that I was listening to the Monkees boxset 'Listen to the Band' and digging - as the youth might say - the country/Byrds stuff. Gotta love Woolhat for that.

A

Anonymous

Redhead666 said:
Daevid Allen/Gong,
I've an acquaintance, who was later diagnosed as schizophrenic, who claimed that Allen was sending him telepathic messages telling him to take up the bass guitar, practice and join the band at a specific date in the future.

He bought a second bass and practiced, often as much as 18 hours a day just waiting for the specified day. Sadly, his delusions also developed and he started claiming to hear messages in Gong/Allen tracks that were aimed at him.

The day eventually came and he travelled south to find Allen who told him he was mistaken. Cognitive dissonance followed, delusions toppled and the bloke had a breakdown.

Who said the drugs don't work?

johnnyboy1968

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Cavynaut said:
At the moment I'm listening to anything by Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things and early Hawkwind.

Seems like that entire hippy/early punk crossover is about the only genre that hasn't been mined to buggery in the last few years by spotty media students.
Ah, you're a man after my own heart, Cavy! In fact, at this precise moment I've got Space Ritual playing at extreme volume (sometimes, living in a shed on a hill can have its advantages - no neighbours to annoy!) Bone-crunching riffs, mad electronic burbling and bonkers space poems from yer man Calvert - bliss! It's funny how they were much-slagged off by "serious" music fans at the time for like, not being able to play their instruments really well, man, but nowadays they sound a lot less dated than the likes of Yes and ELP!

I'm a big fan of the Pretties too, just about anything which broadly comes under the 'Freakbeat' umbrella. SF Sorrow is one of the most underrated and unsung albums of all time, IMO - it's got more than a few things in common with the Who's later Tommy, but don't suggest as such to Pete Townshend (still touchy about that, if Phil May is to be believed.) It's also got the advantage of having to tell its story in half the time, so there's no filler and throwaway linking tracks. I love the Who too (in fact, they're probabably my favourite band) but I still think that Sorrow outdoes Tommy, musically and conceptually!

Diabolik8

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Redhead666 said:
It amazes me how you can have these musicians ( I am assuming in the UK) that people across the Atlantic Ocean have never heard of.

I have never in my life heard of Hillage, Daevid Allen/Gong, Fairport Convention, mudvayne, Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things, Hawkwind, Mew, Glass Handed Kites, or Rammstein.
:shock:
No Redhead, "And the Glass Handed Kites" is an album by Mew. ;)

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Currently listening to Mansun- I Can Only Disappoint U