The Music Thread

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
So anyone remember that brilliant guitar doc called "It Might Get Loud" featuring Page, Edge and White from 2007? That was a kickarse doco.

I watched it countlessly. I want a new one. In stead of Page, I invoke Gilmour. Who shall be his protege?

1. Gilmour
2. _________
3. ______________

I might put forward Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead at 2. And maybe John Mayer at 3. Who else?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
So anyone remember that brilliant guitar doc called "It Might Get Loud" featuring Page, Edge and White from 2007? That was a kickarse doco. I watched it countlessly. I want a new one. In stead of Page, I invoke Gilmour. Who shall be his protege?

1. Gilmour
2. _________
3. ______________

I might put forward Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead at 2. And maybe John Mayer at 3. Who else?
John Squire

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
In Lieu of Hendrix, here's Joe Bonamassa.

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
Bit more Joe
From your English Albert Place

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
1. Gilmour
2. Bonamassa
3. _____________

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
Bit of Dave in case any one was wondering.

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
I remember David Kilminster on Roger Waters' 2007 tour with The Wall was very very good.
This was the one I went to.

His 2000 band on the In The Flesh DVD featured Doyle Bramhall III. Both brilliant guitar artists. But we need a new generation protege.

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
Something very very old. Older than almost all of you can imagine.
Led Zeppelin
Stairway To Heaven

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Proving that almost anything is better with a Latin beat, here is Uwe Schmidt, a.k.a. Señor Coconut.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Excellent, languid dreampop here from a newcomer:

She's only 17! Wish I was that together at that age. Wish I was that together at this age (!).

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
I love Cardiacs and can understand that a cappella cover version of their songs could be regarded as sacrilege. The 180 Gs from Detroit spent four years covering the 1996 double album 'Sing to God' and may complete all of 'Guns' as well. This is 'Junior is a Jitterbug' cover from 'Guns' and the first to feature the actual 180 Gs singers.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I usually post this about once a year. It’s trash but it’s totally majestic trash and it just keeps building and building… then admits at the end it’s probably shit.
You will never hear a more grand sample of overblown garbage wonderment as brilliantly done. Frankly, it’s how Rocky Horror should have ended.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been listening to the new Duran Duran album, FUTURE PAST.

This is my favourite track, I think (plenty of nods to classic era):

Other than that, if you like TEARS FOR FEARS, you must listen to The Tipping Point, their first release from their new album (of the same name, out 2022); it's superb--absolutely on a par with their best work from the 80s (he decides with surprise):

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I usually post this about once a year. It’s trash but it’s totally majestic trash and it just keeps building and building… then admits at the end it’s probably shit.
You will never hear a more grand sample of overblown garbage wonderment as brilliantly done. Frankly, it’s how Rocky Horror should have ended.

That used to be on the jukebox of my local--and yes, it's gloriously epic chaos.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score

Once a year this gets the original response 'White Dopes on Punk'

gridban

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Big fan of Mr Hitchcock.....met him once in a small pub/venue in Chicago while drinking a Guinness.
This is from Eye...a mostly acoustic set of songs..one of my favorite periods by him.

That's one of the albums I've been listening to, along with I Often Dream Of Trains and Globe of Frogs. I wasn't really into him until I saw him live in 2019 in Copenhagen but he was fantastic and I was a convert. One of the songs he sang was Trams Of Old London and I just loved it.

gridban

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The Velvet Underground: Documentary about the band and their artistic/social milieu. Many interviews, some bitterness fro Lou reed: "Andy Warhol produced The Banana Album in the sense that he was live in the studio when it was made". But y0u also see them together when Warhol was dying, friends again. Split screen is used to good effect, often using a loop of John Cale or Reed blinking when more info/clips are on the other half. Moe Tucker the VU drummer and sometime singer didn't like hippies, the West Coast or Frank Zappa. Demo tapes of Venus In Furs and Waiting For My Man plus many other VU songs. Great Music Social History film. Directed by Todd Haynes. 8/10.

In cinemas and on Apple TV+.
I saw that in the cinema last week, it's great. Worth seeing in the cinema because you get to hear the songs up loud. I don't think Lou was being bitter when he said that, he goes on to say that Warhol being present ensured that they got to make the album the way they wanted.

skinny

Porpoise
Reaction score
I love old rock. Here's one of the best things ever.