The Music Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Just played Another Day at 06:45.
My wife came and said that's her favourite Roy Harper song.
I would probably plump for She's The One, These 50 Years, Referendum or When An Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease, but that's a very good call.
Beautiful song.
Ah! Roy Harper...1st time I went to see Roy live he didn't turn up! Bloomsbury theatre about '92.
Subsequent gigs he never disappointed. I used to listen to Stormcock and HQ constantly...last saw him live at the end of the road festival in '12, quite apt really as he's bloody retired from gigging!
"Show us yer bum Roy"

I've seen him twice, both in the early 2000s.

Once was at a lovely sunny festival in Canterbury, and the other a very intense Shepherd's Bush Empire.

Both enjoyable.

I played the tracks One Of Those Days In England and The Same Old Rock while shaving today (first search results).

The first had me in my old ground-floor studio apartment, watching the sparrows visit our bird-feeder and thinking of doing the allotment.

The other had me back in my parents' old house, in my attic-converted bedroom with the skylight open at night and some candles burning.

There was someone who is no longer among the living there with me, and it was sharply bittersweet to recall.

Roy Harper does that kind of thing to me.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Nico,1988: Biopic about Nico's final years, She didn't like being reminded of The Velvet Underground, preferred to play her own music. Some sad scenes, bad gigs in third rate venues, fifth rate accommodation but also upbeat, especially a concert in Prague in 1986. She also tried to reconnect with her son, then in his mid-20s. Nico doesn't endear herself to Mancunians when she says that Manchester reminds her of Berlin after the war. Some short flashbacks inform the narrative, her son Ari as a child, herself as a young girl watching Berlin burn. Trine Dyrholm movingly portrays Nico, warts and all, especially her struggles with addiction. Written and Directed by Susanna Nicchiarelli. 8/10. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/nico-1988

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Nico,1988: Biopic about Nico's final years, She didn't like being reminded of The Velvet Underground, preferred to play her own music. Some sad scenes, bad gigs in third rate venues, fifth rate accommodation but also upbeat, especially a concert in Prague in 1986. She also tried to reconnect with her son, then in his mid-20s. Nico doesn't endear herself to Mancunians when she says that Manchester reminds her of Berlin after the war. Some short flashbacks inform the narrative, her son Ari as a child, herself as a young girl watching Berlin burn. Trine Dyrholm movingly portrays Nico, warts and all, especially her struggles with addiction. Written and Directed by Susanna Nicchiarelli. 8/10. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/nico-1988

Didn't realise this was widely available, I second your recommendation, Trine doesn't look much like Nico, but it's an excellent performance, and weirdly funny at times in a black comedy way.

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
1614965794250.jpeg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Someone sent me this, an old Blues song by one Lucille bogan - Till The Cows Come Home.

The subject is not agricultural. NSFW, in fact.

Techy watched it while trying to eat a Beef Madras and nearly had a seizure from laughing and choking. :chuckle:

Edit - the person who sent this had seen it mentioned on the Netflix History of Swearwords. We then watched it too, especially admiring Cage's plugs.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is the one Humble Pie album I somehow missed out on.

Listening to some tracks which are brand new is surreal.

Damn it's good and that voice...

Album tracks - see:

@https://youtu.be/PnscAG0eLmo

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with this song from back in the day but I've only just discovered there was a promo video for it. It's a real time-capsule for the mid-eighties, remembering when people in pubs looked just like that.

What the hell, here's a couple more.

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Any fans of Black Country, New Road? Watched their livestream from Southbank Center last night and it were reet good! Considering they only have about 8 songs they have no right to have a much stage presence as they do, they're going to be proper big once they have a few albums under their belt.

The last minute or so of this song is one of my favourite things in music right now.

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I was going to provide a link to Alexei Sayle’s “Ullo John, Gotta new motor” explicit version for your delectation but decided against the lifetime ban that would immediately follow.....not to mention the severe beating at the hands of the moderators (Cool name for a group.....The Moderators!)..............I defy anyone to come up with a song that contains a greater torrent of expletives.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Any fans of Black Country, New Road? Watched their livestream from Southbank Center last night and it were reet good! Considering they only have about 8 songs they have no right to have a much stage presence as they do, they're going to be proper big once they have a few albums under their belt.

The last minute or so of this song is one of my favourite things in music right now.

I find them very... INTENSE. I do notice when they're on the radio, though.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with this song from back in the day but I've only just discovered there was a promo video for it. It's a real time-capsule for the mid-eighties, remembering when people in pubs looked just like that.

Loved the album at the time. Now I listen to it, sounds like a rip-off of Moving Pictures by Rush, which isn't a bad thing.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend in college who loved that band!
I saw her sing live once and your girlfriend wasn't wrong .. the bar staff closed the bar just so they could heat Liz Frazier (Scottish and her band was The Cocteau Twins) and the security just stopped working in awe .. she's an astonishing singer ..

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
I was just going to post the Cocteau Twins! I used to listen to them all the time in college and a LOT of XTC and Bauhaus too. Lucky you!

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I was just going to post the Cocteau Twins! I used to listen to them all the time in college and a LOT of XTC and Bauhaus too. Lucky you!

And they were always playing in every art student girlie's room too. Those were the days...

Swifty

Reaction score
Don't let me stop you bruv .. and she was so shy (and she wasn't being fake coy) .. because she hated singing live, she had to be encouraged to sing to the crowd .. they/she also famously refused a Top Of The Pops slot because it just wasn't her, she didn't want to do it .. I'd put her up there with Aretha Franklin but more surreal ...

Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops' Drops (Official Video) - YouTube

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
And they were always playing in every art student girlie's room too. Those were the days...
I've personally been present when her voice has frozen at least a couple of hundred people to the spot mate .. she wasn't just a gap year wanker's Tarantino poster, the lungs on full bore. The only other live performance I've witnessed that happening was Johnny Cash who also stopped everyone.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I've personally been present when her voice has frozen at least a couple of hundred people to the spot mate .. she wasn't just a gap year wanker's Tarantino poster, the lungs on full bore.

Totally agree, you can be an art student, be able to appreciate good music, and not be a wanker. Most of the women I hung about with were sound.

The ones I'm still in touch with all made a living out of being artists.

Swifty

Reaction score
Totally agree, you can be an art student, be able to appreciate good music, and not be a wanker. Most of the women I hung about with were sound.

The ones I'm still in touch with all made a living out of being artists.
I couldn't give fuck if she was a woman or not but she was incredible when she let rip .. even the minimum wagers staff stopped working out of surprise when they were supposed to be still working just to watch and listen. (other that that? .. she was a bit shit though .. joking)