The Music Thread

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
{Massive Attack video}
That is a stunning vocal performance, thank you. :)

Have it playing again in the background and possibly one of those songs which sounds even better, without a video distraction. Seems to isolate and highlight Liz's beautiful rendition.

Even though the video is awesome!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Delightfully, ELP did both Tarkus and the Karn Evil 9 suite (which I feel is their best work) at the High Voltage festival in 2010.

...sadly to be ELP's last ever concert...
I have always wondered what Tarkus would sound like, simply played on piano as a musical composition.

YouTube read my mind and has suggested the following.

Rachel Flowers at ProgStock 2017

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Up bright n early to take my heap of a car in for repairs. This is on my synapses. Why fight? Anything,

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was going to provide a link to Alexei Sayle’s “Ullo John, Gotta new motor” explicit version for your delectation but decided against the lifetime ban that would immediately follow.....not to mention the severe beating at the hands of the moderators (Cool name for a group.....The Moderators!)..............I defy anyone to come up with a song that contains a greater torrent of expletives.
Hmm anything on the Australian bar songs album by Kevin Bloody wilson, incl 'Santa Claus you c*unt and 'do you f*ck on first dates (does your dad own a brewery) amongst many others.

"Kevin Bloody Wilson is an Australian musical comedian who performs comical songs with his heavy Australian English accent and often including sexual themes. He has won one ARIA Music Award."

You've also got Roy 'Chubby' Browns, 'i'm a c*nt' which is pretty much all expletives.

Someone posted 'The Dead Kennedys' song 'Nazi Punks F*ck Off' (on the 'royals' thread i think) recently, that is pretty much just the f-word repeated for the whole song.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

And many others in similar vein. I sing this - but only in my car with no-one else listening :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
That is a stunning vocal performance, thank you. :)

Have it playing again in the background and possibly one of those songs which sounds even better, without a video distraction. Seems to isolate and highlight Liz's beautiful rendition.

Even though the video is awesome!
I was lucky enough to watch her sing live once and she absolutely froze the crowd to the spot .. no one spoke because we couldn't. Robin Guthrie, her long time boyfriend encouraged the crowd to encourage her to start singing .. normally that would be bullshit showbiz posturing but she really didn't like performing to the public, she was very shy and not in a fake coy way, watch that video again .. she looks down to the ground or somewhere any time she sings .. she hated doing magazine interviews as well .. I think The Cocteau Twins only did a couple .. and she turned down a request to be on Top Of The Pops: "Can you imagine us with loads of girls dancing with balloons standing behind us?". The last I heard, she dumped Robin because he'd developed a cocaine habit so she tried to drop a hint she was pissed off by singing a semi sarcastic cover version of 'Frosty The Snowman' and 'Walking In A Winter Wonderland' .. references to his cocaine abuse .. the EP was called 'snow' .. but don't tell your kids about that when you play them this next Christmas.

COCTEAU TWINS - FROSTY THE SNOWMAN - YouTube

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Love the bass player's late 50's Precision. Mine's a '78...
:badge:

Played guitar in a band, 1970-80s. Tommy, the bass player was much older than us and had a Fender Precision bass which looked like it had come out of Noah's Ark!

Lord knows how early it was and I'm pretty sure this was Marshall amp stack!

images (3).jpeg

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
@Cochise, I am a bassist too. Ibanez 1991 SDG series. Thought you might enjoy a bit of Bob Wasserman from Lou Reed's Magic and Loss band.

Last edited:

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
Speaking of bass....my personal favorite ....and one of my favorite albums from the old days.

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
We doing bass now?

Love Wobbly and Laswell, I hope theres enough low end on you tube this tablets speakers give up somewhere around 4k lol.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The new one from Beth Jeans Houghton aka Du Blonde is mighty catchy:

I read a recent interview with her where she says she's transgender now. She certainly knows her way around a rockin' tune.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There is a lack of non-english language songs on here.
Let's have some chilean swing music courtesy of Mon Laferte: